Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024

wdrag

33 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Technically December 22 and March 2023.

The RNA was in a bad position and down to Baja. No NAO can over power that deep of a trough. We got accumulating snow yesterday due to the fact that the RNA was not nearly as deep and a little east of last year's.

I'm looking forward to the end of January through February period, I think that will be the best wintry period we've seen in 3 years (not saying much I know.)  But imagine with temperatures just slightly colder than they were with this storm and with the same juiced up STJ, then 1982-83 and 2015-16 become good analogs for what can happen.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

In the wake of the region's first winter storm, a severe storm could bring a heavy windswept rain to much of the region during the middle of next week. The potential exists for a 1"-3" rainfall with locally higher amounts, damaging winds, and possibly significant coastal flooding. Significant beach erosion is also likely. Temperatures could surge into the 50s.

Late next week, a genuine Arctic air mass will likely begin pushing into the Pacific Northwest and Northern Plains. Severe cold is likely in the affected region. Afterward, this cold air could come eastward in modified fashion. That could set the stage for the coldest period so far this winter.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was +0.8°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was +2.0°C for the week centered around December 27. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged +1.55°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +2.00°C. A basinwide El Niño event is ongoing.

The SOI was +2.50 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was -1.292 today. Strong blocking in the final week of November, as occurred this year, has often been followed by frequent blocking in December and January.

On January 5 the MJO was in Phase 3 at an amplitude of 2.023 (RMM). The January 4-adjusted amplitude was 2.355(RMM).

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied 57% probability that New York City will have a warmer than normal January (1991-2020 normal). January will likely finish with a mean temperature near 34.4° (0.7° above normal).

Don do you think it's likely that February will be the coldest month this winter season?

January at +0.7 will be much colder than December was and the February mean is only slightly milder than January, so it wouldn't take much for February to be colder than January.

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

I'm looking forward to the end of January through February period, I think that will be the best wintry period we've seen in 3 years (not saying much I know.)  But imagine with temperatures just slightly colder than they were with this storm and with the same juiced up STJ, then 1982-83 and 2015-16 become good analogs for what can happen.

They will be, and the southern half of this forum came very close this storm, it was unfortunate that there was an RNA and the strong El nino torched December and kept the Arctic air on the other side of the globe. That is changing now and the cold is on our side. 

My only fear would be the 1980s cold and dry warm and wet scenario given that we are in an RNA cycle. 

• Like 2

Alright I have a tough question to ask the crew. Do I buy a new snow blower this season or wait until end of the year clearance? Our tiny but still new snowblower was not up to the job today clearing the 7 inches away. It did great on our sidewalks just not the driveway. I don't want to jinx us by buying another new one this year, likewise if it is looking meh for the next weeks should I hold off? I only ask because I know in retail they will be in full summer mode come February :arrowhead: likewise the next season's snowblowers will show up in July haha. 

11 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

They will be, and the southern half of this forum came very close this storm, it was unfortunate that there was an RNA and the strong El nino torched December and kept the Arctic air on the other side of the globe. That is changing now and the cold is on our side. 

My only fear would be the 1980s cold and dry warm and wet scenario given that we are in an RNA cycle. 

We still got our 3-5 quick shots in those days, and it would stick around.

17 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Have the hope that in spite of what the 80s were like 82-83 still happened and February was the best snowstorm we had between 1978 and 1996!

In both 1982-83 and 2015-16 the south shore of Long Island had over 20 inch HECS!

As a matter of fact JFK has had most of its 20"+ snowstorms during moderate and strong or very strong el ninos. (February 1983, 2003 PD2, January 2016).  The other ones were in February 1961, February 1969, January 1996.  So 6 total 20"+ snowstorms going back to 1960 at JFK and half of them were in moderate or strong or very strong el ninos.  Every decade had at least 1 20"+ HECS at JFK (and the 60s had 2!) except the 70s (and many will tell you that the February 1978 HECS was grossly undermeasured at JFK at 14"-- when a nearby co-op in SW Nassau recorded 22" in that blizzard!)

25 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

Alright I have a tough question to ask the crew. Do I buy a new snow blower this season or wait until end of the year clearance? Our tiny but still new snowblower was not up to the job today clearing the 7 inches away. It did great on our sidewalks just not the driveway. I don't want to jinx us by buying another new one this year, likewise if it is looking meh for the next weeks should I hold off? I only ask because I know in retail they will be in full summer mode come February :arrowhead: likewise the next season's snowblowers will show up in July haha. 

Wait.  There will be dozens of unsold machines at this rate and marked down come 3/1 or even 2/15

• Like 2

9 hours ago, psv88 said:

Was -4 in 2018 on this date out here. Haven’t seen anything close in a while. Doubt we see single digits this winter 

How about this for a stat: In 1994 KDCA had four dates with minimum temperatures less than five degrees. How many times have they done that in the thirty years since? Zero times.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

We still got our 3-5 quick shots in those days, and it would stick around.

Our average snowfall the second half of the 80s was 11.125 inches (CPK). So even if it stuck around more it was pretty bad. Basically, you could have the same pattern 150 years ago, it would still yield little snow. 

I remembered many storms where it was in the teens that morning and we warmed up and rained then had flash freezes. 

RNA patterns yield cutters unfortunately. It may take a number of years to reset to a PNA pattern again. I am just happy I lived through 2000 through 2018. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

Don do you think it's likely that February will be the coldest month this winter season?

January at +0.7 will be much colder than December was and the February mean is only slightly milder than January, so it wouldn't take much for February to be colder than January.

It could be given the evolution of ENSO, especially if the PDO- weakens.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Have the hope that in spite of what the 80s were like 82-83 still happened and February was the best snowstorm we had between 1978 and 1996!

In both 1982-83 and 2015-16 the south shore of Long Island had over 20 inch HECS!

As a matter of fact JFK has had most of its 20"+ snowstorms during moderate and strong or very strong el ninos. (February 1983, 2003 PD2, January 2016).  The other ones were in February 1961, February 1969, January 1996.  So 6 total 20"+ snowstorms going back to 1960 at JFK and half of them were in moderate or strong or very strong el ninos.  Every decade had at least 1 20"+ HECS at JFK (and the 60s had 2!) except the 70s (and many will tell you that the February 1978 HECS was grossly undermeasured at JFK at 14"-- when a nearby co-op in SW Nassau recorded 22" in that blizzard!)

I am sure we will get one this decade as well. 2022 was close.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EastonSN+ said:

I am sure we will get one this decade as well. 2022 was close.

If only 1/29 were a little more NW. I could’ve had what LI had (think some spots were over 20 inches, I had 16), and the immediate metro would’ve done a lot better. 

What I remember most fondly of that storm was the cold, 22F at the peak. Cold powder. Real winter stuff. 

Strong storm, it’s just a shame it only scraped the area.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Volcanic Winter said:

If only 1/29 were a little more NW. I could’ve had what LI had (think some spots were over 20 inches, I had 16), and the immediate metro would’ve done a lot better. 

What I remember most fondly of that storm was the cold, 22F at the peak. Cold powder. Real winter stuff. 

Strong storm, it’s just a shame it only scraped the area.

Yeah CPK had a couple opportunities. It's tough in an RNA cycle but not impossible.

The warm gulf stream can give a storm a good moisture boost as well.

37 minutes ago, tmagan said:

How about this for a stat: In 1994 KDCA had four dates with minimum temperatures less than five degrees. How many times have they done that in the thirty years since? Zero times.

in 1994 NYC got to 0 on two separate arctic shots, I believe that's the first time that happened since the 1940s and of course it has not happened since.

3 total lows of 0 and below also the first time since the 1940s.

It comes down to what you’re comfortable spending in the here and now.