• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024

wdrag

Good morning all!  A quick post.  I plan to start a thread for the period Jan 6-10, probably around 10AM. That will encourage all posts for the last half of January to stay in January and we can concentrate energy on what I think will occur between the 6th-10th.  That general idea follows with one graphic. Ensemble support for 2-6" of qpf in that period is in agreement for base 2" in the NYC subforum.  Where its snow its 4+ but on I95 and east, messy or just rain? But stormy for sure. Good thing tides are down.  Wind will be involved.  You may want to go back to the CPC hazards posted this past Friday. Looks pretty good to me.

My base info:

Our very warm December will soon be replaced by snow plowing and shoveling across much of the region along and just west of I95 into the Appalachians. I will set the driveway snow stakes this week (nw NJ)

I expect renewed flooding in parts of eastern PA/NJ and possibly elsewhere in the northeast. When all is said and done by Wednesday night January 10, at least two inches of water equivalent precipiation will have fallen along the entire east coast with isolated 6 inches. This means that snowfalls next weekend and possibly at the start of the warmer storm of the 10th, will at least partially melt.

Here's the EPS chance of 4+" for next Sunday. Blues are above 30%.  I think this is a pretty good signal for 7 days in advance. Where it actually ends up??  CMCE is about the same. GEFS is lagging.

Screen Shot 2023-12-31 at 6.38.03 AM.png

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, It's Always Sunny said:

Too much stock is going into "background state". We still get snow during La Nina winters people seemingly have forgot. I'm seeing El Nino signals of late.

December has been mostly an El Nino look. Southern tier of the U.S. not textbook but upper latitudes playing the part mostly.

Composite Plot

• Like 2

Week ahead numbers:

image.thumb.png.d31f816f21b17d2e7d484a22b42880ba.png

If the above guidance is accurate, the long-awaited pattern change will arrive largely on schedule for the first week of January. The January 1-7 period will be the coldest 7-day period so far this winter. Severe cold remains unlikely.

There will also be the prospect of snowfall, especially as the period closes. From this far out, even if a Pacific trough results in the potential 1/7-8 storm tracking toward the Great Lakes, prospects for at least a measurable snowfall are higher than they have been this winter on a regionwide basis.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Allsnow said:

We have chances this month which is all I can ask for at this point.  I think NYC snowless streak will end this month if the h5 look is correct going into mid month 

Long range is looking better and better. Great to see especially during the peak of winter.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Week ahead numbers:

image.thumb.png.d31f816f21b17d2e7d484a22b42880ba.png

If the above guidance is accurate, the long-awaited pattern change will arrive largely on schedule for the first week of January. The January 1-7 period will be the coldest 7-day period so far this winter. Severe cold remains unlikely.

There will also be the prospect of snowfall, especially as the period closes. From this far out, even if a Pacific trough results in the potential 1/7-8 storm tracking toward the Great Lakes, prospects for at least a measurable snowfall are higher than they have been this winter on a regionwide basis.

Excellent stats Don... I'd like to add this to the thread... if its okay with you.  Keeps perspective on I95.  Right now, probably can't get thread out til 11A. Walt

• Like 3

3 hours ago, wdrag said:

Good morning all!  A quick post.  I plan to start a thread for the period Jan 6-10, probably around 10AM. That will encourage all posts for the last half of January to stay in January and we can concentrate energy on what I think will occur between the 6th-10th.  That general idea follows with one graphic. Ensemble support for 2-6" of qpf in that period is in agreement for base 2" in the NYC subforum.  Where its snow its 4+ but on I95 and east, messy or just rain? But stormy for sure. Good thing tides are down.  Wind will be involved.  You may want to go back to the CPC hazards posted this past Friday. Looks pretty good to me.

My base info:

Our very warm December will soon be replaced by snow plowing and shoveling across much of the region along and just west of I95 into the Appalachians. I will set the driveway snow stakes this week (nw NJ)

I expect renewed flooding in parts of eastern PA/NJ and possibly elsewhere in the northeast. When all is said and done by Wednesday night January 10, at least two inches of water equivalent precipiation will have fallen along the entire east coast with isolated 6 inches. This means that snowfalls next weekend and possibly at the start of the warmer storm of the 10th, will at least partially melt.

Here's the EPS chance of 4+" for next Sunday. Blues are above 30%.  I think this is a pretty good signal for 7 days in advance. Where it actually ends up??  CMCE is about the same. GEFS is lagging.

Screen Shot 2023-12-31 at 6.38.03 AM.png

Looking forward to the new thread. This period is at least something of interest and potential.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, SnowGoose69 said:

It was discussed a ton in the MA forum the last year why it seems we now get an SER in patterns we never used to get it in before.  Nobody really knows why 

I think 90% of the issue was the RNA strength and maybe more importantly, the actual position of the trough. 

I don't think the NAO failure was historic. In fact, through history we failed more often than not on snow chances (other than periods such as 55 through 69 and 2000 through 2018). Therefore this type of failure had to have occured before.

12 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

@bluewavehas presented research tying it to CC due to the West PAC warm pool.

Agreed, it's more the overall pattern which favors an RNA regime over a SE ridge dominated setup (downstream effect). 

Once the oceanic thermal profiles change/alter locations and intensity (for example the rise and demise of the warm blob off the west coast driving the east based Neg EPO 13 through 15) we may be in better shape and re-establish a east coast trough dominant pattern. Big question is how long does the current profile last? 

Good morning,  am constructing the Jan 6-10 thread... awaiting WPC D4-7 updated day shift snow prob graphics to attach along with their current D7 that now has 1.5" up to near Sandy Hook and also copying with permission I hope the Bluewave consecutive days with less than 2" of snow CP and the Don post on snow probs 1,2,4 for the various cities.  I should have this ready for use, as poster desired. It will probably be loaded with actual reports as the two events progress. 

This then encourages posts prior to Jan 6, and after Jan 10 in the ongoing January thread. 

There will probably be another extensive event around Jan 13-14 but prefer to exclude form this thread which seems to be well handled by consensus in the ensembles. 

Hope to have ready by Noon.

• Thanks 3