Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter '23-'24 Piss and Moan/Banter Thread

IWXwx

16 hours ago, Chinook said:

Be glad you are not in Kazakhstan/Russia/Mongolia/China. I think this extremely cold air mass has been developing for 1-2 weeks. Surgut to Omsk had -20F to -40F for their low temps, with high temps nearly the same. It was -30F temperatures in Kazakhstan. Nearly all of the rest of the world (not including Russia) was at or above normal temperatures from Dec 3-9 according to reanalysis plot.

gfs_T2m_asia_1a.jpg

I'm surprised the Climate Changer didn't beat you to  the punch here.

• Haha 3

On 12/11/2023 at 7:37 PM, Chinook said:

Be glad you are not in Kazakhstan/Russia/Mongolia/China. I think this extremely cold air mass has been developing for 1-2 weeks. Surgut to Omsk had -20F to -40F for their low temps, with high temps nearly the same. It was -30F temperatures in Kazakhstan. Nearly all of the rest of the world (not including Russia) was at or above normal temperatures from Dec 3-9 according to reanalysis plot.

gfs_T2m_asia_1a.jpg

But it's a calm cold. My wife hails from Tomsk (over a bit from Omsk) and she's fine with a quiet -40C/F but can't stand the windy PV blasts we get here in the Midwest. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

On 12/6/2023 at 6:32 AM, Lightning said:

Briefly at accuweather; on from basically the beginning of Eastern; a bit on Harry’s; briefly on another place (I think I was the only one from MI); took a long break; now here. 

Started at Accuweather back in 2007, then Joe (Chicago Storm) invited me to another one a couple years later after Accu was getting bad. Then just faded away for a few years until I ended up here. I wanted to get back to wx forums again, so I did a search, and found this one and another. The other one needed admin permission to be a part of, and I didn't get a reply. Signed up here, and I see Joe posting. Go figure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On this night back in 1987 things were about to get extremely exciting.  Still remember watching Monday night football as the snow started to fall.  It was the beginning of the infamous Dec 14-15 blizzard that brought 60-90mph winds over parts of IL and WI along with frequent thundersnow.  If I had to relive one of the top 5 blizzards since I've been alive I'd still probably choose this one.  Didn't put out as much snow GHDI but the ferocity was a tad higher for this immediate area.  I was only 10 but still can remember it like it was yesterday.

imoi.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

On this night back in 1987 things were about to get extremely exciting.  Still remember watching Monday night football as the snow started to fall.  It was the beginning of the infamous Dec 14-15 blizzard that brought 60-90mph winds over parts of IL and WI along with frequent thundersnow.  If I had to relive one of the top 5 blizzards since I've been alive I'd still probably choose this one.  Didn't put out as much snow GHDI but the ferocity was a tad higher for this immediate area.  I was only 10 but still can remember it like it was yesterday.

youre-old-butt-head.gif

• Haha 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

imoi.jpg

Winds were awesome, even further east on the "inflow" side. That was one of only 2 storms in my life that delivered snow well east thanks to timely occlusion. In SEMI where I was we went from strong East winds and ripping snow (briefly) to T-storms, back to 4" of heavy wet snow before it was over. Dec 09 bliz was the other one when I lived in SWMI.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Isn't is crazy how we can remember storms like this.  1978 Blizzard is the same for me.  I was 7 years old and still remember it.  :mapsnow:

Back then I had to wait for TV news for any updates. Makes me wonder how today's models would of handled it.  Wonder if todays models would of had 50+" runs with that storm :lmao: 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

imoi.jpg

remember the game  and the storm well. Worked 30 hours straight clearing it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lightning said:

Isn't is crazy how we can remember storms like this.  1978 Blizzard is the same for me.  I was 7 years old and still remember it.  :mapsnow:

Back then I had to wait for TV news for any updates. Makes me wonder how today's models would of handled it.  Wonder if todays models would of had 50+" runs with that storm :lmao: 

Not sure if you were in Genesee Cnty your entire life? If so, you may remember the April '75 storm? That was the biggest storm of my youth (10 at the time) for me personally. Similar to the Dec 2000 bliz, it dumped big fatties for hours then finished with a few hours of bliz conditions and near-zero visibility. At least in eastern Genesee where I was. 18" show-stopper. Too bad it was already spring break so I didn't get any snow days off from school :lol:. For Genesee Cnty, I think the only bigger storm would be the Jan '67 bliz with it's nearly 23" total.  

1 hour ago, RogueWaves said:

Not sure if you were in Genesee Cnty your entire life? If so, you may remember the April '75 storm? That was the biggest storm of my youth (10 at the time) for me personally. Similar to the Dec 2000 bliz, it dumped big fatties for hours then finished with a few hours of bliz conditions and near-zero visibility. At least in eastern Genesee where I was. 18" show-stopper. Too bad it was already spring break so I didn't get any snow days off from school :lol:. For Genesee Cnty, I think the only bigger storm would be the Jan '67 bliz with it's nearly 23" total.  

I was in Macomb Cnty. in  '75 and I was like 4 so to be honest I only remember in pictures :lol:

Macomb => Houghton (hide site I wish I would have stayed here) => Macomb => Lapeer (great spot with land wondering if I should have stayed) => Macomb => Oakland => finally Livingston the past 11 years (great location on a lake :) ).  Yeah I moved around a lot but I can say Macomb will NEVER be in my future :lmao:

Next move will be out of SE MI ... someday :popcorn:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Baum said:

remember the game  and the storm well. Worked 30 hours straight clearing it.

Back when Al Michaels, Dan Dierdorf, and Frank Gifford called the games.  Pretty cool Al Michaels is still calling games, been hearing him since I was a kid.   Gonna be sad/end of an era when he finally retires.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Back when Al Michaels, Dan Dierdorf, and Frank Gifford called the games.  Pretty cool Al Michaels is still calling games, been hearing him since I was a kid.   Gonna be sad/end of an era when he finally retires.

https://people.com/al-michaels-wont-call-nfl-playoffs-for-nbc-amid-criticism-8415276

• Sad 2