Newest Member
    CHSVol
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2023-2024 OBS/Discussion

The Iceman

35 minutes ago, LVblizzard said:

Classic NW of I-95 storm on the Euro.

IMG_0333.png

More like Lehigh Valley N/W.

Just N/W of Philly would do better than Philly but Berks and such would do much much better. I always account for a 30-50miles N/W shift....still early though.

Posted on Dec 27

for those who are dejected and wishing to cancel winter based on the latest model runs do not fret ---- I am an historical meteorologist . You may ask what the hell is that?  I rely on my personal weather pattern experiences  over the last 50 years since  I have been old enough to enjoy the knowledge of weather since I was 12 years old. I learned much weather from uncle who was the regional head forecasting meteorologist for NOAA (NWS) in the western US.   I also was an air traffic controller in the Navy and graduated with a BS physical geography degree with a concentration in atmospheric science(Before many meteorological  schools were even around).  I do not rely solely LR daily model runs until the storms are within 48-72 hours period. Anything else is simply conjecture.  I only rely on LR models to help establish the future temp/precip  ranges and the possibilities of changes in the long term weather patterns. That is it. I was using my personal  experiences and senses in the early 70's to 80's when there were no daily 8 hour model runs and the only models were spit out in a past weekly bulletin on the weeks previous storm events. I spent more time analyzing the storm patterns such as neutral, el nino and la nina patterns  instead of relying just on LR computer model ensembles. Weather has been boiled down  to  a simple game of statistical chances by using computer model ensembles. Right or wrong, I side with past history

Right now I see nothing but cold polar air bottled up in northern Canada with pacific cold fronts flowing zonally across the country Alberta Canada is where we get our cold air from except for an occasional backdoor cold front. There is nada coming from either direction  right now. The southern jet stream is buckling but the northern stream will not come down into mid USA period to phase and deepen the lows.  Until we get an LP over Alberta forming a clipper  bringing  that locked up polar air in Canada to the central US and introducing a potential pattern change,  there is nothing we can do but watch models kick the potential 3-6 in snow events further into the 10-15 day time frame.   WE must have sustainable cold- WE HAVE NONE.

The potential of a 2-4 or 3-6 in  snow event keeps showing up  during the Jan 9-11 time frame but that is all it is. When I see it show up on the NAM at 36 hours- thats doable IMHO.  

My past personal history for those who believe in what  I do,  compares this year to 1993 where we had a crappy el nino winter 2-4 inches of snow until late February where we did get some accumulating snow event followed by the March superstorm  which was a triple phaser.  The el nino years below in a sample ranking chart . Please note 1958 has been thrown in the rankings  for your forum too in February.  (Morgantown blizzard) The winters are definitely back loaded for heavy snow sure in these years with some cold. It is  just that we usually get cold sustainable cold in neutral years from the passage of continuous clippers as the el nino pattern is dying-- last gasp storm event before going into a neutral year.  Remember how the severe cold in early 1994 set in that was attributable from weakening neutral year with the combination of MT Pinatubo eruption? We have not had a  neutral winter in a long time.  3+ years.   Lets see what the second to third week of January can throw at us?

Yes once this event is  in Wednesday evening's run  on the NAM, I will be on board.  The fire hose scenario afterwards would be be terrible as far as basement flooding and local stream flooding. We need no more rain period for two weeks. Cetronia Rd  near my house is still under water after 4 days and there is no creek within 1.5 of this area that is flooded. Natural closed depressions in the farm fields are abundantly full of standing water. That is why you see so much geese flying north. They love standing water in corn/soybean fields in Karst geology areas that are not frozen. Give the freezing temps now please.  

• Weenie 1

9 minutes ago, LVblizzard said:

Mix line gets up to Scranton. Not ideal. Really hope the Euro holds tonight.

5 days out wild card outcomes coming up now in this run for some of these models. Model chaos going ballistic as the minimal PAC buoy info is now being fed into the models which is creating topsy turvy models expectations. . Will correct itself by Thursday morning.  Cross your fingers and stay calm as even the Euro is known to do this.

1 minute ago, Albedoman said:

5 days out wild card outcomes coming up now in this run for some of these models. Model chaos going ballistic as the minimal PAC buoy info is now being fed into the models which is creating topsy turvy models expectations. . Will correct itself by Thursday morning.  Cross your fingers and stay calm as even the Euro is known to do this.

I’d like to see it a little more suppressed right now but it is finally something to track. Would be hard to have another winter as bad as last winter.