• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2023-2024 OBS/Discussion

The Iceman

That strange light in the sky is indeed sun today! Today should be our last well above normal temperature day for a while. We should see temperatures closer to normal as we finish 2023 and move into 2024. It looks dry till about Thursday morning or so when we might see a chance of some snow showers.
Records for today: High 73 (1984) / Low -2 (1917) / Rain 3.48" (1901) / Snow 4.7" (1935)
image.png.2fea40e70acd641d5968fcb5636c7c5a.png

4 hours ago, JTA66 said:

Gorgeous early spring morning out there -- sun shining, birds chirping, squirrels frolicking, yellow jacket buzzing, snow shovel fossilizing due to years of inactivity, 43F.

Still a few discrete threats in first 10 days of Jan....both very marginal for now but at least it isn't a complete shutout pattern.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Still a few discrete threats in first 10 days of Jan....both very marginal for now but at least it isn't a complete shutout pattern.

Marginal threats are a vast improvement over anything we’ve had these last few years.

We take!

• Like 2

It kept misting and drizzling last night but finally finished up with 0.37" for the day (2.15" for the 2-day event).  I am a tenth of an inch short of 10" of rain for the month of December (am @ 9.90").

Bottomed out at 44 this morning, and like others, was shocked to see that yellow orb in the sky this morning (was expecting some lingering stratus/fog but that was not to be).

Currently 52 and partly sunny with fluffy cumulus and dp 42.

9 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Can we kick a field goal in this 40-0 route? Bad times.

I informed Elliot from the Eagles and he is  ready to kick that 61 yarder  to win a game  for snow right now. By the way Elliot is from my alma mater University of Memphis as well as Gainwell. The UM Tigers play in 30 minutes in the Liberty Bowl. I told Elliot to kick the ball for last nights 00Z GFS run like it is for the game and playoffs.

gfs_asnow_neus_65.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Albedoman said:

I informed Elliot from the Eagles and he is  ready to kick that 61 yarder  to win a game  for snow right now. By the way Elliot is from my alma mater University of Memphis as well as Gainwell. The UM Tigers play in 30 minutes in the Liberty Bowl. I told Elliot to kick the ball for last nights 00Z GFS run like it is for the game and playoffs.

gfs_asnow_neus_65.png

He's going to need to kick it in the rain again too

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ChescoWx said:

With not much going on weather wise how about another Top 25 List for Chester County PA? Below are the Top 25 snow months (except for October) in rank order

image.png.2fcc311e537bd4fb266ad7442c9cfec7.png

So bored I went back and re-read the January 2016 Blizzard thread to remind myself what it was like on here in the Winter. 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Well boys, it was a good run. See ya in March for our annual 1 and done slush bomb.

what the hell-- giving up already?  Have a brewski man.  The party will start after the third week in January as I have stated the past three weeks or so. MY past history with this type of pattern indicates that the cold air must get back to Canada by Valentines day.  When the clippers come in succession, so does the sustainable cold air.  It will take time.  Patience man patience. Waiting for snow like - Waiting Skeleton | Make a Meme

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Albedoman said:

what the hell-- giving up already?  Have a brewski man.  The party will start after the third week in January as I have sated the past three weeks or so. MY past history with this type of pattern indicates that the cold air must get back to Canada by Valentines day.  When the clippers come in succession, so does the sustainable cold air.  It will take time.  Patience man patience. Waiting for snow like - Waiting Skeleton | Make a Meme

Well,I don't doubt your experience based on past climate. However, this is a very different beast we are dealing with and the Pacific is simply going against all historical data and manhandling the overall N Hem pattern. Nino can't even act like a Nino anymore. It is downrght alarming to be perfectly honest. I haven't given up completely. Like I said, I still expect a late season hit as is what we are growing used to these days.

9 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

I’m all in on the snow drought now, let’s get to 1,000 days!

And when we finally do break the snowless streak, I hope it’s a legit storm and not an inch of slop we get in a 1:3, crocus-crushing, paste job in April 2029.

36F

Any late season snow slop won't do it for me. Crap March/April slop snow doesn't count. Just give me at least a clipper (1-3") or 2-4" before March will do...simple things seem to be so complicated these days.

Couldn't look more like death/dark out there...36F.   

48 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Today will mark Philadelphia's 700th consecutive day on which it has received less than 1" of daily snowfall.

image.png.ba1961f71977f9dd39b094656bbeb181.png

Chester County PA is working on it's own record - our current non 1" streak will stand at 658 days with the record only 4 days away!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

We almost hit freezing for the 1st time in a week across a couple spots this AM with Warwick Township at 32.3 and East Nantmeal at 32.7. Better chance tonight for widespread freezing temps. A chillier day today with increasing clouds and a couple flurries or sprinkles possible early this PM. While it will feel colder than it has been it will only be dropping to near normal levels to close out December.
Records for today: High 63 (1898) / Low 9 below zero (1917) / Rain 1.56" (1912) / Snow 3.8" (2017)
image.png.b9d0aa8edbe9dcba12ad1652a54a58b2.png