joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

2 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Definitely a bust 

6" total for the week.

Don't get me wrong 6" of snow over a 5 day stretch is great but My forecast was for 3 to 6 on Tuesday and 4 to 8 last night. 

6" is a little underwhelming.

Oh well. Here's  to hoping for 1 more storm.

The temp here had fallen to 28 during the height of the snow yet no driveway or road stickage despite middle of the night.  The rumor of warm roads is real and indeed all comes down to rates.

I have had close to 6 total as well but the fast melting does tame the total experience.   With almost 2" of Qpf from the last storm, what could have been sticks in my mind.

34 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Eyeballing about 2" but nothing concrete or road has snow on it.  Going to go down (here) as one of the worst WSW events ever.  Not the NWS's fault.  Modeling pulled the rug.   Light snow and 30.   Two WSW's in a week and the combined snow from both events is less than 6"    @Chris78 any better there?  @WaynesboroWX

The Icon Storm.  PD3:  Pretty Damn Depressing X3.   Congrats to Blizz.  Did not see any other posts of verifying WSW yet except to the East of this Forum.  Maybe Accuchris did.   Or the Pillow area. 

2.5" snowboard measurement at 6:00 am. Roads and sidewalks wet. The wind is beginning to howl, but there will be no drifting of this snow. I'm seeing clearing approaching from the west. 30°F

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Eyeballing about 2" but nothing concrete or road has snow on it.  Going to go down (here) as one of the worst WSW events ever.  Not the NWS's fault.  Modeling pulled the rug.   Light snow and 30.   Two WSW's in a week and the combined snow from both events is less than 6"    @Chris78 any better there?  @WaynesboroWX

The Icon Storm.  PD3:  Pretty Damn Depressing X3.   Congrats to Blizz.  Did not see any other posts of verifying WSW yet except to the East of this Forum.  Maybe Accuchris did.   Or the Pillow area. 

Last event was my worst, or at least certainly the worst I’ve had anytime recently the way one that busted in the true central and north central. I got close to technically verifying a warning but was within the forecast range of 4-7”. Even up here roads took awhile to get snow covered and they never were super terrible at any point. Road crews were also really on this event as well. 

12 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Last event was my worst, or at least certainly the worst I’ve had anytime recently the way one that busted in the true central and north central. I got close to technically verifying a warning but was within the forecast range of 4-7”. Even up here roads took awhile to get snow covered and they never were super terrible at any point. Road crews were also really on this event as well. 

MDT only getting around 1" with a WSW is going to go down into the HOF as one of the worst ever.    HGR as well with a 5-8" forecast.  Again, not blaming the forecast.    Models kept ramping this up even as close as 18 hours ago.  12Z Yesterday the failure was starting to show but 18Z last night was when reality started to kick in though had to wait for verification to see it.  North of Harrisburg did well.

Parents in Orbisonia reporting a foot. I'll be down there this afternoon to verify. I didn't think the lower part of Huntingdon county would have ended up in the death band but what do I know?

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Just measured 5” here in Lebanon with light snow presently.  Like others, even with 5” on the snow board, roads and sidewalks just wet, even with a night storm

It’s wild.. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a bigger discrepancy between asphalt and other surfaces with a storm, including late season daytime paste bombs. close to 7” on my deck board, but the road in my development is barely covered. This will also likely go down as the biggest difference I’ve witnessed between here and mdt for a single event. Weird storm.

• Like 2

Just now, Jonesy56 said:

It’s wild.. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a bigger discrepancy between asphalt and other surfaces with a storm, including late season daytime paste bombs. close to 7” on my deck board, but the road in my development is barely covered. This will also likely go down as the biggest difference I’ve witnessed between here and mdt for a single event. Weird storm.

This reminds me of what it must be like in a lake effect event with reports of 6 to 12 in various areas of our region, while areas 20 to 30 miles away in different directions only got 1 or 2.

16 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

This reminds me of what it must be like in a lake effect event with reports of 6 to 12 in various areas of our region, while areas 20 to 30 miles away in different directions only got 1 or 2.

I say this in all seriousness since we sometimes have passive aggressive battles, I feel bad that MDT only got about 1" (have not seen officially just looking at depth and total qpf) as that is going to be the official record for this storm despite you getting 6 plus.   A terribly modeled event IMO.  

2 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

Parents in Orbisonia reporting a foot. I'll be down there this afternoon to verify. I didn't think the lower part of Huntingdon county would have ended up in the death band but what do I know?

It’s possible, that area would’ve been right in line with the bigger totals further east. There were also 10+ totals reported all the way back in eastern Ohio with a stripe of warning totals just below the Pittsburgh metro. 

3 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I saw this in all seriousness since we sometimes have passive aggressive battles, I feel bad that MDT only got about 1" (have not seen officially just looking at depth and total qpf) as that is going to be the official record for this storm despite you getting 6 plus.   A terribly modeled event IMO.  

It’s a shame that this narrow band determined winners & losers in such an extreme way.

I would have been happier with a general widespread 3 to 5 for everyone, which is the way it looked on most models until 24 hours out when the 2 band idea started showing up.

The MDT total later today will be a shame. They just did not get into the banding & had a low amount of precip. Areas less than 20 miles to their north like me, Jonesy in Linglestown, & AccuChris in Lebanon had over 5 inches.

Bizarre storm that will go officially in the record book at MDT as unremarkable, but several of us will remember it otherwise.

• Like 4

This goes to show that rates are everything for the duration of a storm.  Before the last storm it was almost 50° 12 hours prior to start time AND rain first.  Went over to snow and boom snowed 1”/hr for 6 hours and I got 6” and every road and highway caved immediately.  This storm comes 12 hours after a high of 40° and comes at night but rates not nearly as great, we had the fluff factor make up for lower rates and no pavement caved this time

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Yardstickgozinya said:

Even though it's been a bust it's still snowing and a beaut out here this morning. I spent the whole night at my buddys by are  rocket stove and enjoying what little there was and my last few hours as a 44 year old. 

20240217_065115.jpg

20240217_065102.jpg

nice pics.  Happy early birthday.  Probably 2.5 here in akron.  Nice little event event and happy for the lucky ones Blizz and berks it sounds like.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, GrandmasterB said:

Crazy that the warning was probably justified when it was issued and almost immediately modeling fell apart.

The Warning still verified in many areas. Large snow total variance will probably show from one end of a county to the other with the snow total statements by county that CTP issues.

It’s possible, that area would’ve been right in line with the bigger totals further east. There were also 10+ totals reported all the way back in eastern Ohio with a stripe of warning totals just below the Pittsburgh metro. 
I'm thinking it's verified. Maybe not quite a foot, but they verified their warning and then some. 2bd9fc6961aecb42dd3f76c152537ea1.jpg

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

The Warning still verified in many areas. Large slow total variance will probably show from one end of a county to the other with the snow total statements by county that CTP issues.

And I will defend them on this one as modeling closed in, it looked to be a tricky forecast and localized areas verified, while other locals didnt.  We were adequately warned IMO.  Again, the average joe doesnt really care about being 1-2" short of verification, they just wannna know whats possible.  Their backyard falls short (like mine), but within a short distance, totals are double or notably more. See I'm all about fairness.

• Like 3