• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

Yes that is quite the difference between us.  I will measure again at 1pm but I should be close to 3", I would think.  Yeah, we'll see what happens with any redevelopment from the coastal but it doesn't look like anything too crazy.  Thinking maybe we can add another inch, 2 if things break just right.

I’m at 3” as well near Willow Street.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Checking in over lunch, I’m happy to hear that most of our southern tier counties are doing well.

I just measured 2.3” in Marysville with steady light snow continuing.

Are you seeing ice chances next week! Precip heading into 1046 high has my attention.

8 minutes ago, AccuChris said:

Sitting at 2.5” now in Lebanon…light snow continues

Looking at current radar, there is a fairly large area of light snow stretching back to western PA that should move east this afternoon. We should have several more hours of light snow to go today.

• Like 2

Observation time - we talk about this every winter. Sun angle. 

People have strong opinions on this. Here's mine...it really comes down to rates. If it's legit +SN and 33 degrees in early March, it WILL accumulate on ALL surfaces. It might struggle midday, but heavy snow (like verifiable 1/4 mile vis or less) will overcome sun angle and to a large degree...temps.

I cleared off my sidewalk at 11am. It is snowing "nicely" right now...verified steady light snow. It's currently 28 degrees and it's January 19th. All of my paved surfaces are 100% wet. Snow is melting on contact despite being several degrees below freezing and still in January.

It really is about rates. 

Now, if it was December 22nd and 22 degrees...this same rate of snow would likely be sticking to all surfaces. 

• Like 5

At 1:00pm in Carlisle, the temperature is up to 29.5 degrees.  The snow continues to fall lightly.  In the last 15 minutes the rate has increased somewhat, but still small flakes.  During the past 2 hours an additional 0.6" has fallen giving a storm total of 2.6".  Current rate about 0.3"/hr.  Still need another 0.7" to reach Tuesday's total.

Just got home a bit ago.

Eyeballing and spot measurements in Etown Manheim, Lititz and my house

Etown 2.5 ish  27 deg

Manheim 2.0ish  25deg

Litltz 2.5ish    26 deg

House 3.5 on back porch  27 deg

Any previously treated surfaces were wet and melting.  Anything not treated or plowed was snow covered or slippy for sure.  These are obs during my 28 mile trek home to hang out w/ my wife.  Except for Manheim, I got out and measured.  Just beautiful out there.  Saw fresh snowmobile tracks in manheim.  Looking forward to some riding tomorrow. 

Last night on way home Etown was brining already whitish roads, so makes sense that stickage was gonna be tough. 

Steady light snow in Akron.  Hoping coastal backend gives me another 1-1.5.  

Great friggin day.  No chest thumpin here.  Just enjoying a nice event that we saw from far out, and it worked. 

This will stick around for a few days at least...enjoy.

• Like 4

1pm observation:  1.2" of additional snow over the last four hours, bringing my event total to 3.7".  Steady light snow continues but things seem to be slowly ramping up again.  Sitting at 31/25, although my thermo is spiking a wee bit due to meager midday solar getting through (crazy I know, but true, running a couple degrees higher than any surrounding station).  Let's see what the afternoon brings.  Not seeing much in the way of coastal redevelopment showing up on the radar for the LSV but the water vapor loop seems promising.  That might be the best tool to use in this instance.  Fun little event.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Observation time - we talk about this every winter. Sun angle. 

People have strong opinions on this. Here's mine...it really comes down to rates. If it's legit +SN and 33 degrees in early March, it WILL accumulate on ALL surfaces. It might struggle midday, but heavy snow (like verifiable 1/4 mile vis or less) will overcome sun angle and to a large degree...temps.

I cleared off my sidewalk at 11am. It is snowing "nicely" right now...verified steady light snow. It's currently 28 degrees and it's January 19th. All of my paved surfaces are 100% wet. Snow is melting on contact despite being several degrees below freezing and still in January.

It really is about rates. 

Now, if it was December 22nd and 22 degrees...this same rate of snow would likely be sticking to all surfaces. 

Great post.  Hey Training, on what kind of surface do you take your official snow measurements? 

• Thanks 1