• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

Capture.PNG.ced19b3ad62264c6e4bcd8b33ae510d1.PNGWind.PNG.5fc0ec43ce54da3f79d53b9d1b3b6cc0.PNG

Got 1.76" in my gauge, to me this was just another pedestrian rain storm.  I was hearing in the MA (the sky is falling and all from some)  I of course understand I don't live there and am sure some experienced flooding and power outages.  Just underwhelmed imho compared to the hype.  Back to tracking rain this Friday and maybe snow next week.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

Rain20240110_074733.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

HRRR and 3K did a good job depicting the higher amounts the wringing out of qpf on the Leward side of some areas...the 1.75 to 2" totals in Franklin and Adams county are both on the Eastern side of ridges.    Good ole 'Rou checking it with one of two small lesser spots in Franklin.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Porsche said:

Just underwhelmed imho compared to the hype.  Back to tracking rain this Friday and maybe snow next week.

Agreed.  Looks like we have 1 more rainer to get through before legit winter chances start to show.  Hoping this period holds for more than a couple weeks, but we'll worry about that hopefully after a few chances at snow. 

36 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

HRRR and 3K did a good job depicting the higher amounts the wringing out of qpf on the Leward side of some areas...the 1.75 to 2" totals in Franklin and Adams county are both on the Eastern side of ridges.    Good ole 'Rou checking it with one of two small lesser spots in Franklin.

Nice little area in NW Lanco over my house with a minimum as well.

• Like 1

That was one heck of a mixed bag yesterday.

We picked up 2” of snow yesterday morning. Changeover was around noon. Lots of wind and driving rain.

Rain 1.83”, high gust 45mph 

Only one casualty in the neighborhood yesterday. 

The neighbors pine tree that was scheduled to get cut down next week beat it’s deadline.

536C0FF8-E82F-42F8-BB47-989AF459D854.jpeg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, pawatch said:

That was one heck of a mixed bag yesterday.

We picked up 2” of snow yesterday morning. Changeover was around noon. Lots of wind and driving wind.

Rain 1.83”, high gust 45mph 

Only one casualty in the neighborhood yesterday. 

The neighbors pine tree that was scheduled to get cut down next week beat it’s deadline.

536C0FF8-E82F-42F8-BB47-989AF459D854.jpeg

They probably saved some $$$.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

6z Eps has a slighly deeper slp and closer to the coast vs 0z. With thst comes sloghtly warmer 850's. What does it mean? I'd like to think it's good, but I doubt it. Lol

sfcmslp-meanmem.conus (3).png

sfcmslp-meanmem.conus (4).png

I looked at the EPS for the final 7-10 days of Jan and not sure I see what everyone is saying is a good patten for after the 20th.  As I said before, I will not use the ensembles for anything except pattern and maybe compare SLP locations and some anomalies and the pattern looks "not overly cold."   The 850 anomaly chart at the time below is very red/orange. 

image.png.9b36ac2abfb846aca0e601d4962c3ada.png

15 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

6z Eps has a slighly deeper slp and closer to the coast vs 0z. With thst comes sloghtly warmer 850's. What does it mean? I'd like to think it's good, but I doubt it. Lol

sfcmslp-meanmem.conus (3).png

sfcmslp-meanmem.conus (4).png

Pattern suggests that this should be offshore, no? 

Ridge axis is too far east for our liking I think. 

• Like 1

Hate to say it, but the 6z Icon came west too with the cold boundary.  Idk, just thinking we're kidding ourselves to think that this thing won't end up going into the lakes, or at least far enough inland for us to fail again. Seasonal trends are a biatch when they're againt you, and it goes without saying they are against us. If we keep getting ticks west today, it's hard to think otherwise imho.

If we see things changing for the colder, we might have a chance.

Ended up with 2.90" of rain here in East Nantmeal eclipsing the old mark of 1.66" set back in 1964. Still without power here in the township as I know many of you are in the same situation. Winds are still howling but at least sunshine has returned. The wind advisory is in place till 6pm this evening. Temps should stay pretty steady today. Unfortunately the dry weather will only last till Friday night when we see more rain (although a good deal less) arriving. Mild again on Friday but temps should start falling during the day Saturday with the potential for a little snow by Monday night into Tuesday.
Records for today: High 62 (1950) / Low -3 (1982) / Rain 1.06" (2016) / Snow 9.0" (1954)
image.png.3ce279eb7136fe475c60753300cb3c08.png
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Hate to say it, but the 6z Icon came west too with the cold boundary.  Idk, just thinking we're kidding ourselves to think that this thing won't end up going into the lakes, or at least far enough inland for us to fail again. Seasonal trends are a biatch when they're againt you, and it goes without saying they are against us. If we keep getting ticks west today, it's hard to think otherwise imho.

If we see things changing for the colder, we might have a chance.

Regarding your post about the ICON, look at 540's between 6z and nooner.  Jogged S by about 3 states.  IMO its a little too far out to parse over details, and while you might not like to look at 500's, thats what drives the bus, so IMO we need to "get that right" before diving too deep into surface maps.  

6z

icon_mslp_pcpn_frzn_eus_40.png

nooner

icon_mslp_pcpn_frzn_eus_38.png

31 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Regarding your post about the ICON, look at 540's between 6z and nooner.  Jogged S by about 3 states.  IMO its a little too far out to parse over details, and while you might not like to look at 500's, thats what drives the bus, so IMO we need to "get that right" before diving too deep into surface maps.  

6z

icon_mslp_pcpn_frzn_eus_40.png

nooner

icon_mslp_pcpn_frzn_eus_38.png

Saw that. Exactly what we need to see. Driving so can't look at anything much.

23 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Variably/Mostly cloudy and 46 at noon. Windy, but not excessively so. 

40 here and fairly windy but gusts just in the upper 20's and low 30's.  Other side of the house getting it today.   

The 16th still in play on the 12Z GFS and then another close one a bit later.  Not literally worried about this timing missing as it shows some potential and still in that period before the relaxation that keeps being advertised the last week of January.  The key for me is the 16th system getting into NE Canada to keep the fun going the next week after it.   500 below shows what I think was the coastal SLP just missing a phase. 

image.png.ad07ee4b83543db5dbce218700174bcf.png

image.thumb.png.a8ac83c636f2bbcb85f0526603161b73.png

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

40 here and fairly windy but gusts just in the upper 20's and low 30's.  Other side of the house getting it today.   

The 16th still in play on the 12Z GFS and then another close one a bit later.  Not literally worried about this timing missing as it shows some potential and still in that period before the relaxation that keeps being advertised the last week of January.  The key for me is the 16th system getting into NE Canada to keep the fun going the next week after it.   500 below shows what I think was the coastal SLP just missing a phase. 

I think so as well. the 16th is still has potential. 

Just now, paweather said:

I think so as well. the 16th is still has potential. 

I also think we need the 16th to intensify and move up to over or just Northeast of Canada to better insulate us a bit from cutters and to continue directing the air from Canada south.   The cutter this Friday opens the flood gates for cold...hopefully the 16th low helps keep it open.    The GFS and GEFS also kicked the can a bit on the next relaxation period...still last week of January but a few days back. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

image.thumb.png.a8ac83c636f2bbcb85f0526603161b73.png

I can't tell you much I like this post, and moreso, the map!

• Haha 1