Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

Just now, DDweatherman said:

Gfs with 6-8” right there in the middle. Nam and 3 were crushing at 0z then north at 6z. The limbo continues.

Yo Yo time.  This lack of a clear vision does make sense in the fact that we no room for error with our cold air...even in the best of times, when a low makes it to North WV (Nam and Euro) we have worries here....including the aforementioned dry slot. 

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yep.  1-3" is what I saw.   A non event.   Then we have the RGEM with 10-12".    

We need the moisture to come in hot and heavy. 

If that happens I can see our area getting 4 to 8.

Basically we need the 1" + QPF totals that some models are showing 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

The EPS & GEPS look absolutely amazing & loaded with potential.

This is their advertised pattern in the day 8 to 15.

Look at those blocks with a coast to coast trough underneath.

IMG_4108.png

IMG_4109.png

Problem I have with those "patterns" is that there's no evidence from the operational or the ensemble themselves that they will give is snow. Maybe it's too early for that, I don't know, but I  can't excited until I do. 

Just now, mitchnick said:

Problem I have with those "patterns" is that there's no evidence from the operational or the ensemble themselves that they will give is snow. Maybe it's too early for that, I don't know, but I  can't excited until I do. 

Look at the 0z GFS Op… it shows potential in week 2.

3 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Look at the 0z GFS Op… it shows potential in week 2.

It wasn't there at 18z and it's gone on the 6z. So we have 1 random run. Once I  see it with some consistency across the modeling, then I  get excited. That's just me.

16 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Right, and I was thinking it may be due to the transfer where the OH Valley Low peters out and the new low is too far north to subject us to its CCB goodness. 

6z Euro and NAM really are tracking inside (NW) as the low comes out of the Gulf. I don’t think it’s really a Miller B, it tracks directly thru the southern apps to  just under DC to the northern Delmarva and then finally just off the coast. The part of the track over the southern apps distorts the surface pressure contours giving it that double low appearance.

Either way, a track like that’s getting too far inside for the LSV southern tier… as I’m sure you guys are aware. It’s a big shift in especially the NAM between runs. The 0z 3k NAM run last night had me on the edge barely getting 2 inches of snow. This mornings 3k has borderline warning snows all the way into Pittsburgh/western PA. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Low of 19 here last night.  Always nice to bust low by a good bit.  Great radiational cooling.

As for the storm, welp, after studying the overnights, can't say I share the optimism of others, at least for points south and east of Harrisburg.  In aggregate, the Mesos are virtually all misses for us southern folk and that's who I'm putting more stock in at this point.  This would also align with the meager totals being spit out by some of the local television station predictors.  Also, as others have mentioned, if this does indeed end up being more of a Miller-B type event and the primary drives that far north and inland, well, for the globals to be in their supposed wheelhouse 2-4 days out and get that almost entirely wrong would just be.....poor.  One thing is for sure, today's 12z runs are massive.  But if I were a betting man, I'd think CTP lowers their map significantly for down this way.  As always, hope to be wrong!  Happy Friday all!

• Like 2

Might as well throw up the 6z run of the experimental RRFS (Rapid Refresh Forecast System) too. It’s a little bit colder aloft which makes a big difference in the LSV.

10:1 map, there’s no Kuchera one available for this. 

image.thumb.png.6e4bdfdd4af45d93edddb3c01320fb32.png

And if your wondering what RRFS is:

GSL, NCEP/EMC, and other partners are working together on a project to design a single-model, convection-allowing, ensemble-based data assimilation, and forecasting system called the Rapid Refresh Forecast System (RRFS). This project aims to develop advanced high-resolution data-assimilation techniques and ensemble-forecasting methods while supporting the unification and simplification of the NCEP modeling suite around the FV3 model. 

Within the NOAA model unification effort, the RRFS represents the evolution of the NAM, RAP, HRRR, and HREF systems to a new unified deterministic and ensemble storm-scale system. This new system is targeted for initial operational implementation in late 2024 as a planned replacement for the NAMnest, HRRR, HiResWindows, and HREF. While the standalone regional (SAR) FV3 model is being developed for convection-allowing forecasting of a limited area (CONUS), other possible components of the RRFS are being tested now in the experimental, WRF-based High-Resolution Rapid Refresh Ensemble (HRRRE). Experimental runs of the HRRRE at GSL are focused particularly on: 

• Improving 0-12 h high-resolution forecasts through ensemble-based, multi-scale data assimilation 
  • Producing spread in 0-36 h ensemble forecasts through initial-condition perturbations, boundary-condition perturbations, and stochastic physics.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Might as well throw up the 6z run of the experimental RRFS (Rapid Refresh Forecast System) too. It’s a little bit colder aloft which makes a big difference in the LSV.

VERY elevation dependent signal there for southern locales   I checked the Fv3 for some love and got 1-2" so need the 12Z's to save the day. 

5 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

I've really liked the performance of the RRFS since its inception.  Always feel it has a more realistic look to its simulated radar.  I check it quite often.  It's the one meso that gave me hope overnight ha.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Low of 19 here last night.  Always nice to bust low by a good bit.  Great radiational cooling.

As for the storm, welp, after studying the overnights, can't say I share the optimism of others, at least for points south and east of Harrisburg.  In aggregate, the Mesos are virtually all misses for us southern folk and that's who I'm putting more stock in at this point.  This would also align with the meager totals being spit out by some of the local television station predictors.  Also, as others have mentioned, if this does indeed end up being more of a Miller-B type event and the primary drives that far north and inland, well, for the globals to be in their supposed wheelhouse 2-4 days out and get that almost entirely wrong would just be.....poor.  One thing is for sure, today's 12z runs are massive.  But if I were a betting man, I'd think CTP lowers their map significantly for down this way.  As always, hope to be wrong!  Happy Friday all!

Pretty much right back to where we were 24 hours ago.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

It wasn't there at 18z and it's gone on the 6z. So we have 1 random run. Once I  see it with some consistency across the modeling, then I  get excited. That's just me.

Remember when the storm for tomorrow was consistently not happening on the long range & medium OP runs. It wasn’t until last Friday when they started to really show the potential for this weekend. Then when it showed, they were mostly suppressed well to the southeast. Some were saying no chance until late January…

Point is, lots can change on Op looks once you get to the seven day range.

• Like 1

Some spots had low temps in the teens this morning across the county including Coatesville Airport, Chester Springs and West Bradford Township with the lowest I could find being the 17 degrees in both Warwick and Nottingham Townships. Here in East Nantmeal the low was 20.2 degrees this was the lowest temp I have recorded since the 9.8 above zero last February 4th. Today will be the calm before the storm tomorrow. Snow should arrive during the noon hour from southwest to northeast across the area and quickly change to freezing rain and then over to plain rain by 4pm. The steadiest rain should end by 11pm or so. Total rain and melted snow could total around an inch. Some snow and rain showers could last for a while on Sunday morning. We should see a nice but chilly Monday before a larger rainstorm arrives on Tuesday.
Records for today: High 62 (1950) / Low 7 below zero (1904) / Rain 1.56" (1934) / Snow 3.6" (2003)
image.png.98ee1012fda7a9ade535ca57b15e2232.png