Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023 General Discussion

michsnowfreak

1 hour ago, weatherbo said:

Blustery with snow showers today... right around 2 inches otg, however it won't last.  Forecast for Thursday is 46 and 41 Friday with rain. 

Doesn't happen all that often, especially in the UP snowbelts but it looks like a brown Christmas this year.  Here's some stats for Marquette. 

1908275515_409173189_750079447156585_5048560578020960709_n(3).thumb.jpg.efc41b7a653749ead33953de2aeb4d34.jpg

Yeah, just a dusting from some robust snow showers very early this morning around here. My grandson asked me if we were going to have snow for Christmas. Told him it would be a close call with 50-50 chance. Still expecting something just before or on that day, but will it pan? We shall see. Have that in the Holiday thread.

TH co-op has snow depth readings of 0 for a few years on Christmas being right on the shoreline, The last was 2018. I'm ~ 1 mile from the shoreline, and can have slightly more otg than down there. Topo is unique for TH as it is the only place on the North Shore that has a more gentle rise. There is a big hill in the midst of town, tho. Reminds me of an ancient landslide. Probably was, and massive.

• Like 2

On 11/29/2023 at 12:41 PM, Brian D said:

Odd's are in my favor :lol: 

Usually true. Gonna be close me thinks. Looked at Duluth, and the last brown Christmas was 2006 for them, at least over the hill there at the airport. Shoreline of the lake can see them more often. Every foot of elevation counts around here.

19 minutes ago, Brian D said:

Usually true. Gonna be close me thinks. Looked at Duluth, and the last brown Christmas was 2006 for them, at least over the hill there at the airport. Shoreline of the lake can see them more often. Every foot of elevation counts around here.

I feel like Mother Nature usually balances things out and we'll pay for all the nice weather at some point, and even if we don't, there's worse things than a mild, dry winter.  It's not like we were forecast this massively cold and snowy winter, and it tanked on us.  This was expected.

And on a positive, with little snow I can still access the trails in the woods with my quad.  Getting a jump start on next seasons firewood hauling logs out to split.  

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, weatherbo said:

I feel like Mother Nature usually balances things out and we'll pay for all the nice weather at some point, and even if we don't, there's worse things than a mild, dry winter.  It's not like we were forecast this massively cold and snowy winter, and it tanked on us.  This was expected.

And on a positive, with little snow I can still access the trails in the woods with my quad.  Getting a jump start on next seasons firewood hauling logs out to split.  

Lack of snow makes ice fishing so much easier. Nice to be able to walk across the lakes without loads of snow, and slush under that. I like to be able to drive across the lake, and hit various spots with ease. Silver lining with the lack of snow I guess. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

I was wondering if there is even enough ice to safety set up an ice-house yet? I saw a few people out on the lake near my house last evening. I wouldn’t trust the ice in the metro anytime soon. 

It's thick enough up north here to walk on. Down your way is pretty iffy yet. But it'll form quick, and thicken with the colder wx.

6 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Blustery with snow showers today... right around 2 inches otg, however it won't last.  Forecast for Thursday is 46 and 41 Friday with rain. 

Doesn't happen all that often, especially in the UP snowbelts but it looks like a brown Christmas this year.  Here's some stats for Marquette. 

1908275515_409173189_750079447156585_5048560578020960709_n(3).thumb.jpg.efc41b7a653749ead33953de2aeb4d34.jpg

The scariest part of that chart is that it looks like Marquette didn’t exist in 2014 at Christmas. 

• Haha 5

funny thing is if it weren’t for that short-lived albeit severe cold snap, last Dec would’ve finished comfortably above average temp wise.

Yep December was a torch outside of that mini outbreak of cold air. It hit 60 in Milwaukee before New Years.

Looks like this December is cooked. One of three winter months done. Two to go. Then the palms can come back out to play.

f70d7cc823a0a641700bd3a73629a52d.jpg
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

9 hours ago, weatherbo said:

3 hours ago, roardog said:

The scariest part of that chart is that it looks like Marquette didn’t exist in 2014 at Christmas. 

That or loggers cut down all the pines that year before the flurries fell.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Nothing unprecedented about this upcoming warm stretch, just unusual. What a change year to year though

7CE89234-1B74-4948-BBF7-EAA90B8AF033.jpeg

I have seen this happen many times.  The biggest reversal in DTW history occurred on Christmas day itself.  Record High @ DTW is 64 on 1982.  Record Low @ DTW is -10 on 1983.

I remember it well as I happened to be visiting family in MN in 1982 and got blasted by a major winter storm that week!!  We were digging tunnels through the snow drifts :mapsnow:

Home the very next Christmas with the booger freezing cold with record cold 4 days in a row!!

• Like 5

It's interesting that it's gonna be avg or slightly below avg temp wise down in sw Florida. Having lived there the past 4 winters, it's been normal for temps to be in the 80s for weeks in djf. It's just odd to see temps above avg in metro detroit, in mid/upper 40s, while at the same time it's barely cracking 70 down in south florida. 

• Like 1