Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2023/24 Medium/Long Range Discussion

Chicago Storm

1 hour ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Anything in the teleconnections that would support the powerhouse being shown on the last several runs of the GFS around the 1/9-10 timeframe? Location, type and ceiling of impacts all way up in the air at this range of course, but a system of that caliber would certainly be very interesting to track regardless.

Long long way off but the consistency for something big showing up in that time frame off the op GFS is interesting.  

End of the op Euro run, but has a nice look to it as well.  Certainly seems like a good chance we'll finally have something to track with this.

fnfn.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Certainly not grasping at it, just mentioning it. Verbatim a lot of the runs suggest (heavy) rain if anything for most of us. I'd be fine with armchair chasing a winter Dixie :twister:outbreak.

I know. I'm mostly teasing.

In the process of moving, so I'm actually liking the dry/sunny weather we've had down here (even though it's been too cold for my liking).

If the broader pattern can stay the way it has been through at least the end of next weekend, I'll be a happy camper.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Powerball said:

I know. I'm mostly teasing.

In the process of moving, so I'm actually liking the dry/sunny weather we've had down here (even though it's been too cold for my liking).

If the broader pattern can stay the way it has been through at least the end of next weekend, I'll be a happy camper.

Ooof!!! I just realized this December is possibly on track for a top 5 warmest at DFW (even though it hasn't felt like it in the past week). 

I've really lost my tolerance for non-Summer temps, lol...:arrowhead:

• Like 1

Long long way off but the consistency for something big showing up in that time frame off the op GFS is interesting.  
End of the op Euro run, but has a nice look to it as well.  Certainly seems like a good chance we'll finally have something to track with this.

fnfn.jpg.ae00138f4d30712acb7982e23fab304e.jpg
With a downstream -NAO, could see some modulation of the shortwave trajectory. Alternatively, even if the potential/probable system in the 9th-10th timeframe ends up a more wound up cutter, that could serve to shunt the baroclinic zone farther southeast.

Since western troughing will persist with the -PNA, we should see follow-up waves ejecting out and then the -NAO could stand to benefit us. Both the EPS and GEFS last night were strongly hinting at an active 2nd week of January, so there should be few chances to get something decent.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

Per LOT extended range courtesy our very own:

Looking out beyond day 7, for multiple model cycles in a row, the ensemble means have consistently depicted the ejection of an anomalously deep western trough into the Midwest. The pieces could thus come together to support a strong synoptic system affecting the region (irrespective of precip. types) early in the first full work week of January. Medium-long range ensemble guidance also has been consistent in an active and colder pattern continuing through mid January, so there may eventually be some bonafide winter weather threats to track. Stay tuned.

Castro

• Like 2

Per LOT extended range courtesy our very own:
Looking out beyond day 7, for multiple model cycles in a row, the ensemble means have consistently depicted the ejection of an anomalously deep western trough into the Midwest. The pieces could thus come together to support a strong synoptic system affecting the region (irrespective of precip. types) early in the first full work week of January. Medium-long range ensemble guidance also has been consistent in an active and colder pattern continuing through mid January, so there may eventually be some bonafide winter weather threats to track. Stay tuned.
Castro

For much of the LOT CWA, one of the more impressive EPS 10:1 snow means for our area in the day 8-15, with the 48 hour at about 5" valid ending Wednesday evening Jan 13th and about 6-8" across the Chicago metro for the 7 day period ending 00z 1/15.

Given the look at the end of both the EPS and GEFS, as discussed in the AFD, regardless of how the potential big storm plays out early in the week, barring major changes, we will have additional opportunities, perhaps several, and a good chunk of the sub-forum could get in on the fun.

The nice thing to see was the trend toward more of a -EPO with the continued -NAO/-AO that would keep a steady supply of cold air from our source region along with helping keep eastern mid-level heights in check amidst the continued active -PNA pattern.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Malacka11 said:

You nerds ready to suffer some more emotional damage cause it's coming 

Certainly looks like more wintry times are ahead! It will be such a refreshing change of pace to see the complaints centered around storm tracks, rain/snow lines, overdone qpf etc versus no wintry weather in sight for anywhere.

• Like 2

I'd say the second week of January is looking about as good as it could at this point. While this period has always looked more interesting, there were some question-marks regarding exactly how much cold could build into North America, how favorable or unfavorable the western U.S. pattern would be and if there'd be enough blocking to overcome it. 

707113495_eps_z500a_namer_fh168-360(1).thumb.gif.cb1afda302c5f73ab389fe9c67991bfe.gif

The persistent -NAO and -PNA signal has been solid on the ensembles for a few days, with decent trends towards a -EPO and overall more -AO as well. This would fill western Canada and the Rockies with legitimately cold air with an active storm track from the central Plains towards the Great Lakes, kicked off by the possible cutter around January 9-10th. This pattern looks most conducive from the central Plains through the mid-upper Mississippi Valley, Great Lakes, and interior Northeast, though with it turning colder and more active the potential for a bit of snow will also increase (relative to what we've seen so far this season) into the Ohio Valley.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'd say the second week of January is looking about as good as it could at this point. While this period has always looked more interesting, there were some question-marks regarding exactly how much cold could build into North America, how favorable or unfavorable the western U.S. pattern would be and if there'd be enough blocking to overcome it. 
707113495_eps_z500a_namer_fh168-360(1).thumb.gif.cb1afda302c5f73ab389fe9c67991bfe.gif
The persistent -NAO and -PNA signal has been solid on the ensembles for a few days, with decent trends towards a -EPO and overall more -AO as well. This would fill western Canada and the Rockies with legitimately cold air with an active storm track from the central Plains towards the Great Lakes, kicked off by the possible cutter around January 9-10th. This pattern looks most conducive from the central Plains through the mid-upper Mississippi Valley, Great Lakes, and interior Northeast, though with it turning colder and more active the potential for a bit of snow will also increase (relative to what we've seen so far this season) into the Ohio Valley.

Beat me to it, as I was going to type up something while I’m the train this afternoon heading downtown.

This is the first evolution of the new pattern, which some may even consider a new pattern in itself. Winter lovers, your time has come. I’ll be boxing up the palm tree this week.

One tidbit of note is that we will be falling short of SSWE “criteria”. But it doesn’t even matter in the end, given the substantial amount of warming and disruption there currently is and will continue to be for a while. As you mention, the high latitude blocking is being shown consistently (And at times fairly significant looking), and the effects of the warming appear as though they will be real.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

That storm on the Euro/GFS/ensembles in the second week of January is a monster. A bit of a shame that moisture is cut off by the preceding system about 36-48 hours prior, but the ensembles are pretty locked it for high impact potential across a pretty large expanse of real estate.

One may be concerned about the degree of suppression if all of the cold becomes involved at once, the STJ dominates, and/or the surface reflection isn’t as strong initially.

• Like 4