Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Mid/Long Range Discussion

WxUSAF

14 minutes ago, CAPE said:

End of the EPS showing some improvement in the HL with the AO and EPO around neutral along with a +PNA. NA needs work but that is a serviceable look and might get some colder air working southward into central Canada with time.

1703808000-lv8XKzUzoYw.png

That’s definitely a first step. But so long as the nao stays positive the flow to our north will be west to east and pac maritime air will dominate. The pac trough would have to retro really far for that equation to work, see 2003 and 2015 for what that would look like. But I don’t think we’re likely to get that. Ultimately until the nao goes negative we’re going to struggle with temps and be rooting for a lot of convoluted things to go right to overcome very marginal at best thermals. 

• Like 2

Just for fun but the 6z euro control was about to dump on the region. Ends at 144 but that N//S was closing off in a perfect spot.

Anyway, I’m pretty intrigued if we can get this N/S to dive down. Crazy things can happen with a cutoff like that. I’d put it at very low probability, but from a meteorological-fan standpoint I’m rooting for something wild.

60d72c7e33684ec46efb82eea47a4f04.jpg
4a2fac0aeb995ea2ad6dc31a026f77b6.jpg

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, Heisy said:

Just for fun but the 6z euro control was about to dump on the region. Ends at 144 but that N//S was closing off in a perfect spot.

Anyway, I’m pretty intrigued if we can get this N/S to dive down. Crazy things can happen with a cutoff like that. I’d put it at very low probability, but from a meteorological-fan standpoint I’m rooting for something wild.

60d72c7e33684ec46efb82eea47a4f04.jpg
4a2fac0aeb995ea2ad6dc31a026f77b6.jpg

i counted about 10 out of 50 members that had an interesting solution at 6z....

• Like 1

i counted about 10 out of 50 members that had an interesting solution at 6z....

Yea has a little support. Icon, ukie sort of. As mentioned on our sub I do wonder if this is just euro bias. Hard to understand how that N/S is diving so far south without a block. At least it’s something to keep an eye on.

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

That’s definitely a first step. But so long as the nao stays positive the flow to our north will be west to east and pac maritime air will dominate. The pac trough would have to retro really far for that equation to work, see 2003 and 2015 for what that would look like. But I don’t think we’re likely to get that. Ultimately until the nao goes negative we’re going to struggle with temps and be rooting for a lot of convoluted things to go right to overcome very marginal at best thermals. 

So for now, no matter what else gets better...I'm taking a "better NAO or it didn't happen" approach, lol (since that seems to be the main villain at the moment)

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

The extended products still suggest the NE PAC trough retros back over the Aleutians with an EPO ridge for early Jan, but they have been doing that for awhile now. There are also hints of improvement in the NA. My guess is we will see general improvement in the Pacific over the next couple weeks, and increasing chances of -NAO episodes mid Jan forward.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, CAPE said:

The extended products still suggest the NE PAC trough retros back over the Aleutians with an EPO ridge for early Jan, but they have been doing that for awhile now. There are also hints of improvement in the NA. My guess is we will see general improvement in the Pacific over the next couple weeks, and increasing chances of -NAO episodes mid Jan forward.

It's also possible we might get the Pacific longwave pattern to retrograde just enough that a more neutral Atlantic could work also.  It's a scale, the more help we get on one side the less we need on the other.  Historically the easiest way to make this whole thing work though is if we can get a true -NAO.  That would make this whole thing a lot simpler.  But we do need the TPV to get away from Baffin.  Sitting there is going to create a strong west to east flow under it and blast maritime air across.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

It's also possible we might get the Pacific longwave pattern to retrograde just enough that a more neutral Atlantic could work also.  It's a scale, the more help we get on one side the less we need on the other.  Historically the easiest way to make this whole thing work though is if we can get a true -NAO.  That would make this whole thing a lot simpler.  But we do need the TPV to get away from Baffin.  Sitting there is going to create a strong west to east flow under it and blast maritime air across.  

7 minutes ago, CAPE said:

overall I think the main takeaway is that it is so much easier to get a favorable pattern than it is during a Nina, lemme tell you

• Like 5

1 minute ago, brooklynwx99 said:

also the ICON goes absolutely ballistic over you guys. if the NS vort really is that strong then it's possible but there's a big grain of salt right now

icon_z500_vort_eus_45.thumb.png.5c3dc7914ad70fc206825ebb669082e0.png

As a handful of others have pointed out, a handful of ens members across CMC/GFS/EURO have shown a wacky solution like that. Small dots of 8". Something wacky is gonna happen after the big storm rolls through for someone.

• Like 1

also the ICON goes absolutely ballistic over you guys. if the NS vort really is that strong then it's possible but there's a big grain of salt right now
icon_z500_vort_eus_45.thumb.png.5c3dc7914ad70fc206825ebb669082e0.png

Someone will def get a surprise if that H5 closes off and dives somewhere near the coast. Pinpointing that at this range is impossible but this is starting to gain legs. Would love the cmc
Or gfs to show it today

My gut tells me it probably ends up farther N since we don’t have a block, but who knows
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Heisy said:

Someone will def get a surprise if that H5 closes off and dives somewhere near the coast. Pinpointing that at this range is impossible but this is starting to gain legs. Would love the cmc
Or gfs to show it today

This has the feel of a famous miss around Christmas and a famous March that should not be talked about

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic