Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023

brooklynwx99

8 minutes ago, MANDA said:

3.82" here as of 8am.  Winds nothing notable.  Maybe a few gusts to 20 mph earlier this morning.  The ground is saturated.

We had a couple big gusts that woke us up early AM, but that’s not surprising given location. Overall didn’t seem too bad here. Looks like the brunt of the winds was E LI into NE. 

Good morning everyone. As per NWS/NOAA between 13:51 on the 17th and 07:51 on the 18th CPK has recorded 2.21”.  Maximum temp 62 and minimum pressure 29.15 at 07:51. A drop of .99 inches of mercury in about 19 hours. Rain currently moderate. Stay safe and dry all. As always ….

IMG_6979.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/6/2023 at 2:03 PM, NittanyWx said:

Thinking is for a transient few cooler days around mid month sandwiched around warmer ones.  I still don't see permanent blowtorch, though I do think the post cool period could produce several much above normal days.

So just to update my thinking here from a few weeks back...we're in our much above normal temp phase post mid-month transient cool shot.

Now we're left with the following:  still no significant source region in Canada, dire snowpack in the mid-con and while we're seeing a PNA spike on most models...it doesn't have much of a source to tap into.  I think we are likely going to see an erosion of the much aboves heading into early January, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm not loving what source air there is to work with at this stage and was a little more hopeful to see the EPO  region shaken up instead of the bulk of this PV piece retro'ing back to Siberia.

The EPS has been struggling, significantly at that, with 2mT cold bias so far this winter.  I suspect it's doing so again late 11-15 day.  That said, I am expecting to see the much aboves ease off a bit.  

H5 improvements are likely in early January. Tropical forcing should be more C Pac/E Pac based as well, but lacking available cold air to tap into I don't see much more than a marginally cooler period ushering in the first week of Jan.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, NittanyWx said:

So just to update my thinking here from a few weeks back...we're in our much above normal temp phase post mid-month transient cool shot.

Now we're left with the following:  still no significant source region in Canada, dire snowpack in the mid-con and while we're seeing a PNA retro on most models...it doesn't have much of a source to tap into.  I think we are likely going to see an erosion of the much aboves heading into early January, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm not loving what source air there is to work with at this stage and was a little more hopeful to see the EPO source region dislodged instead of the bulk of this PV piece retro'ing back to Siberia.

The EPS has been struggling, significantly at that, with 2mT cold bias so far this winter.  I suspect it's doing so again late 11-15 day.  That said, I am expecting to see the much aboves ease off a bit.  

I am hoping that this is not the same course of events as 97/98.

• Like 1

I think on the surface a reversion to +PNA with some sort of trof in the east is justified view for early Jan.  There is a lack of significant source air to advect however which has been a common theme.

Now if this PNA spike ends up being more GOA focused, perhaps there's an ability to dislodge some colder air.  But in stormy situations with marginal airmasses, relying on a lot to go 'right' to thread the needle.  That's where my head is at right now.  I still see source region issues.

• Like 4

Right on schedule, our annual holiday mood crushing 60 degree day within a week of Christmas.  Here's what I think happened:  Somebody here sold their soul to you-know-who, Joe Namath style, in exchange for the December 26/27 2010 Blizzard, because since then, here's the high temperature reached at Farmingdale and LaGuardia, the week leading up to Christmas, for each year since.  Based on the 13 years since, Farmingdale on average hits 58.6 degrees, and LaGuardia reaches 61.8.  Edit:  Did the same for Thanksgiving week, defined as Nov. 22-Nov 30th.  Farmingdale for the Thanksgiving period averages just 2 degrees higher; LaGuardia has an outright lower maximum temp over the Thanksgiving timeframe than the Christmas week timeframe. (The averages are coincidentally the same for both sites for the Thanksgiving timeframe.)

image.png.89727d2462881633c1eb5c7f56e9fdf9.png

image.png.4b4a3a19b36fb2cf34cd137ac16ce664.png

image.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Right on schedule, our annual holiday mood crushing 60 degree day within a week of Christmas.  Here's what I think happened:  Somebody here sold their soul to you-know-who, Joe Namath style, in exchange for the December 26/27 2010 Blizzard, because since then, here's the high temperature reached at Farmingdale and LaGuardia, the week leading up to Christmas, for each year since.  Based on the 13 years since, Farmingdale on average hits 58.6 degrees, and LaGuardia reaches 61.8.  Edit:  Did the same for Thanksgiving week, defined as Nov. 22-Nov 30th.  Farmingdale for the Thanksgiving period averages just 2 degrees higher; LaGuardia has an outright lower maximum temp over the Thanksgiving timeframe than the Christmas week timeframe. (The averages are coincidentally the same for both sites for the Thanksgiving timeframe.)

image.png.89727d2462881633c1eb5c7f56e9fdf9.png

image.png.4b4a3a19b36fb2cf34cd137ac16ce664.png

image.png

i think when i moved back here from california i killed winter. sorry guys :/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, North and West said:

Dear God, why?

grew up in albany, went to school in savannah, ga, got an internship in LA, moved back to albany, then to san diego for work, then my gf got into school here in the city and i landed a job in the city. couldnt take much more of socal anyway, talk about boring weather patterns 

• Like 1

I think on the surface a reversion to +PNA with some sort of trof in the east is justified view for early Jan.  There is a lack of significant source air to advect however which has been a common theme.

Now if this PNA spike ends up being more GOA focused, perhaps there's an ability to dislodge some colder air.  But in stormy situations with marginal airmasses, relying on a lot to go 'right' to thread the needle.  That's where my head is at right now.  I still see source region issues.

Bingo!!

• Weenie 5

28 minutes ago, NittanyWx said:

2015 and 1982...wonder if those years have something in common with this one ;)

December 1982 was much cooler across the CONUS than 2015 and this year. But as we saw in 2015, El Niños combined with MJO 4-7 phases in December are very warm. The double digit departures in 2015 were centered over the Northeast with the record MJO 5 stall. The MJO action this December favored the double digit departures in Canada. 

2 minutes ago, binbisso said:

A plus 4 temperature departure at 7 AM January 1st is plenty cold to snow In much of the sub forum. At that time my normal low is 25°. As long as the system is beneath us,  which is what guidance is showing, 

That's true in January-you don't need a crazy cold airmass like you do in shoulder months like Dec/Mar

• Confused 1