• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023

brooklynwx99

I’m not expecting anything of note within the next two weeks, but I wouldn’t completely close the door on the back half of the month. Time and time again the look changes as we move up in time, though yes it has to be acknowledged in recent winters that often works against us by going in the wrong direction. 

With that said, I’m relatively uninvested the next couple weeks but will circle back and hope for some improvements going into the holiday and immediately behind.

Stay positive, but be realistic IMHO. Best approach. I would be flabbergasted if DJF is anywhere close to as awful as last year in total - even if we end up punting the majority of Dec. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MJO812 said:

Boldest statement on December 1 when we have the whole month to go.

Again, it’s not canceling winter in December to acknowledge that multiple factors are indicating another 40° or warmer December for NYC to EWR. We have seen this time and time again. It fits the pattern of all the 70° Septembers and 60° Octobers. What is actually happening is that December is becoming a fall month and September a summer month. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

Again, it’s not canceling winter in December to acknowledge that multiple factors are indicating another 40° or warmer December for NYC to EWR. We have seen this time and time again. It fits the pattern of all the 70° Septembers and 60° Octobers. What is actually happening is that December is becoming a fall month and September a summer month. 

My barometer is November, as long as we keep getting snow events in November like we did a couple years ago, December will be fine for a while. 

On a side note I love warm weather, so I am enjoying September warmth while it lasts. I would gladly trade September for a decent April though. Nothing is worse than cold and rainy.

and March is much more miserable (even including snow chances outside of the city) than I recall as a kid.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, North and West said:

emoji817.pngand March is much more miserable (even including snow chances outside of the city) than I recall as a kid.

My memory is probably off, but I remember Decembers being snowy in the 80s with snowless Marches. The 90s were mostly warm, early 90s snowy Marches snowless Decembers. Late 90s warm and snowless year round . The 2000s Decembers were great however it almost NEVER snowed in March, then the 2010s it flipped and we lost December and and gained March.

• Like 4

My memory is probably off, but I remember Decembers being snowy in the 80s with snowless Marches. The 90s were mostly warm, early 90s snowy Marches snowless Decembers. Late 90s warm and snowless year round . The 2000s Decembers were great however it almost NEVER snowed in March, then the 2010s it flipped and we lost December and and gained March.

Right? And I don’t think any of us know if it’s all AGW or cyclical or both.

March *seems* to have been a lot more pleasant in the recent past. I just know from my kids’ baseball teams that March is usually now chilly, grey, and muddy with flurries and rain.

I do think we’re having some recency bias on September since it was hot the first week of this past September. I’ve always found September to be the best weather of the year. Makes fall sports for the kids very enjoyable.

• Like 1

Just now, North and West said:

giphy.gif

MJO half of the month we are in the warm phases which you see phase 3-6..the second half of the month MJO is going into cold phases 7-8, Showing there is some hope for around the holidays. Plus NAO is negative even in the warm phases so it wont be a blowtorch

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

38 minutes ago, North and West said:

Right? And I don’t think any of us know if it’s all AGW or cyclical or both.

March *seems* to have been a lot more pleasant in the recent past. I just know from my kids’ baseball teams that March is usually now chilly, grey, and muddy with flurries and rain.

I do think we’re having some recency bias on September since it was hot the first week of this past September. I’ve always found September to be the best weather of the year. Makes fall sports for the kids very enjoyable.

On thing that cracks me up.

When I was growing up my dad used to always talk about how much colder and snowier it was when he was a kid. 

Now I am telling my kids how much snowier it was from 2000 through 2018. The cycle goes on.

• Like 2

Just now, EastonSN+ said:

On thing that cracks me up.

When I was growing up my dad used to always talk about how much colder and snowier it was when he was a kid. 

Now I am telling my kids how much snowier it was from 2000 through 2018. The cycle goes on.

Not only snowier but also colder. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1