Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 2023

brooklynwx99

10 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Agreed that the plots are correcting slowely, however wouldn't we want this progression since anything before the 20th is generally a bonus? I think back to the solidly above average snowfall winter of 2000/2001, with our first snowfall occuring December 30th. This IMO is a typical above average snowfall progression, not 96/96 or 02/03 where our first snowfall was November. Those years are RARE and only occured twice from 1970 through now.

December isn't a winter month anymore . I think we average more in March now than December. 

• Sad 1
  • Weenie 1

Just now, MJO812 said:

The RIMMS have had a sub 1 SD look to it from a week ago. The speed is the same 

There a 4 day trough in the middle where some may snow next week like I stated above. Then it's a low amp pass That said they are in 7 before the 20th , Not January .

Who is seeing snow next week? 

NNE? They can snow in most patterns even with being above normal 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Ok is this your prediction? Late January or February for our first snowstorm? You quote others, so now it's your turn to stick your neck out. 

Yes. Two week window end of January into February…

then it’s over as we can’t shake the lingering nina issue s

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Allsnow said:

Who is seeing snow next week? 

NNE? They can snow in most patterns even with being above normal 

Interior areas of NY and New England .

It's about timing. There will be enough cold air for everyone to at least see some flakes if the track is right.

I favor interior areas of NY, interior SNE and New England if there is a phase.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

12 hours ago, bluewave said:

The first hint something unusual was going on was when NYC tied the all-time lowest August temperature at the end of the month of 50°. Several NW suburbs actually dropped into the upper 30s on August 31st. This was followed up by 2nd lowest October temperature of 29° in NYC. The locally colder spots were able to dip below 20. The historic cold continued with widespread single digits on December 3rd.This was the 2nd earliest single digits on record in NYC. So nothing like the climate of the early 2020s.

Time Series Summary for NY CITY CENTRAL PARK, NY - Month of Aug
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Rank
Year
Lowest Min Temperature 
Missing Count
1 1986 50 0
- 1982 50 0
- 1976 50 0
- 1965 50 0
- 1885 50 0

Monthly Data for August 1976 for Upton NY NWS CWA
State
Name
Station Type
Lowest Min Temperature 
NY WALDEN 1 ESE COOP 37
CT DANBURY COOP 38
NY PORT JERVIS COOP 38
NY CARMEL COOP 39
CT WESTBROOK COOP 39
CT MOUNT CARMEL COOP 39
NJ CANOE BROOK COOP 39

Time Series Summary for NY CITY CENTRAL PARK, NY - Month of Oct
Rank
Year
Lowest Min Temperature 
Missing Count
1 1936 28 0
2 1976 29 0
- 1925 29 0
- 1887 29 0
- 1879 29 0

Monthly Data for October 1976 for Upton NY NWS CWA
State
Name
Station Type
Lowest Min Temperature 
CT STAMFORD 5 N COOP 16
NY WALDEN 1 ESE COOP 17
NY PORT JERVIS COOP 18

Data for December 3, 1976 through December 3, 1976
State
Name
Station Type
Lowest Min Temperature 
CT NORWICH PUBLIC UTILITY PLANT COOP 1
NY YORKTOWN HEIGHTS 1W COOP 2
NJ CHARLOTTEBURG RESERVOIR COOP 2
NY WALDEN 1 ESE COOP 3
NY BEDFORD HILLS COOP 3
NY PORT JERVIS COOP 4
CT STAMFORD 5 N COOP 4
CT DANBURY COOP 4
NY CARMEL COOP 5
CT MOUNT CARMEL COOP 5
CT GROTON COOP 5
NY MARYKNOLL COOP 5
NJ ESSEX FELLS SERVICE BLDG COOP 6
NJ CRANFORD COOP 7
NJ CANOE BROOK COOP 7
NY WESTCHESTER CO AP WBAN 7
NY SUFFERN COOP 7
NY MIDDLETOWN 2 NW COOP 7
NJ PLAINFIELD COOP 8
NJ LITTLE FALLS COOP 8
NY SCARSDALE COOP 8
CT WESTBROOK COOP 8
NY ISLIP-LI MACARTHUR AP WBAN 8
CT MIDDLETOWN 4 W COOP 8
NY DOBBS FERRY-ARDSLEY COOP 8
NJ JERSEY CITY COOP 9
NJ NEWARK LIBERTY INTL AP WBAN 9
NY NY CITY CENTRAL PARK WBAN 9

I remember it turning quite cool for a day or so right after Hurricane Belle went by in early August.  Except for the sun angle it felt like mid September.

there’s one of our patented two day cold snaps next week with a storm approaching… anyone dismissing the chance of our first snow 8 days out is ridiculous.

I’ve seen guys get more excited over a plot on a chart 13 days out. Track this a bit

The late January early February, one shot guys haven’t been paying attention this fall. This is not a normal or typical El Niño thus far.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 2

4 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

there’s one of our patented two day cold snaps next week with a storm approaching… anyone dismissing the chance of our first snow 8 days out is ridiculous.

I’ve seen guys get more excited over a plot on a chart 13 days out. Track this a bit

The late January early February, one shot guys haven’t been paying attention this fall. This is not a normal or typical El Niño thus far.

Right? How many freezes have you had? We are coming off almost a full week now with night freezes up here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

Bingo

• Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

This is all connected of course. Models always bias MJO waves to dissipate too quickly. Moving through 7-8-1-2 from mid-December to early January with the cold air on our side of the globe and a very weak strat PV is an enticing combination. And throw in a Nino STJ.

From MA forum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJO812 said:

The RIMMS have had a sub 1 SD look to it from a week ago. The speed is the same 

There a 4 day trough in the middle where some may snow next week like I stated above. Then it's a low amp pass That said they are in 7 before the 20th , Not January .

The RMM charts aren’t telling the whole story. The actual forcing in the 4-7 regions is going to be very robust. This is a warmer than average forcing signal through at least December 20th or 25th. This is why the models keep correcting warmer the closer in time we get. My early guess is that this means another close to 40° or warmer December for NYC.

A3A996A1-C78D-4CA7-8C79-6941940F33B4.thumb.png.49ab6d41f628985a8946405ada8ec70d.png

11D89F72-75D7-4297-AC2C-9BA08F9B76C8.gif.b9461cc28d0b6b0f1b0ef4a5f02f2589.gif

308E2618-467E-4F1A-8D04-A99937EAB976.jpeg.9fdbb361c91abbd18bd9facf978601fa.jpeg

• Like 3

the MJO is going around the horn. it'll take until mid-month to get back into 7-8-1, but all ENS and the CFS get it there. should open up a more favorable period around the third or fourth week of the month as many have been saying. this is likely a small detour... I don't see a reason why forcing would remain in that area, as ENSO becomes more of a factor and promotes subsidence over the MC

SPV weakening also does warm us up here, too

25d7c337-7ec2-4d85-b3ae-3cfea333960a.thumb.gif.c0b648df9b99f5095658a2e25d202c05.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, forkyfork said:

i remember when we got snow in december from less than ideal patterns

12/84 and 12/90 have to be by far the best examples ever, maybe 12/24/98 too.  They all mostly occurred in the final week though.  I cannot really recall a good snow in a bad pattern earlier in the month though I'd rate both the 2003 events as occurring in semi mediocre setups, just timed well

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

The RMM charts aren’t telling the whole story. The actual forcing in the 4-7 regions is going to be very robust. This is a warmer than average forcing signal through at least December 20th or 25th. This is why the models keep correcting warmer the closer in time we get. My early guess is that this means another close to 40° or warmer December for NYC.

A3A996A1-C78D-4CA7-8C79-6941940F33B4.thumb.png.49ab6d41f628985a8946405ada8ec70d.png

11D89F72-75D7-4297-AC2C-9BA08F9B76C8.gif.b9461cc28d0b6b0f1b0ef4a5f02f2589.gif

308E2618-467E-4F1A-8D04-A99937EAB976.jpeg.9fdbb361c91abbd18bd9facf978601fa.jpeg

I am too lazy to dig that far but isn't phase 7 in Dec during Ninos quite a bit better than it is in neutral or Nina?