• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023 Mid/Long Term Pattern Discussion: Let it Snow!

John1122

First full SPV split I've seen in the long range this season on the 0z GFS

giphy.gif

Sadly the 6z wasn't as enthusiastic, but it is still way out there. GFS was trying to get to the above a couple times yesterday, but didn't quite make it. 

Here is the same evolution at 50 mb:

giphy.gif

Should be a fun 3D vortex tomorrow AM. It only runs the previous days 0z data to make that visual, so we won't have tonight's 0z for the 3D images until tomorrow. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Blizzard warnings have been raised over the Plains.  That, in turn, sets the stage for a colder pattern over our area to be ushered in later this week..

I had a similar thought yesterday. Seasoned weather weenies know to root for snow in other locations. I can't recall the last time I was so stoked to see Nebraska getting a foot of snow. It's like we're watching Mother Nature line up the dominoes...

• Like 3

General ob in passing as I read today's updates: It sure seems whatever transpires in the short to mid-term pattern-wise will be fluid with a decent ceiling for amplification. I will not speak to any specific system timing; however, it sure seems like there's a better chance of local winter weather mischief as opposed to a grinch-like torchy pattern locking in. The latest weather vids I've watched from DT and BamWx have been encouraging. Even when you talk about MJO progression into mild phases, it seems we have half the primary NA teleconnections cooperating at any given time. Not seeing much evidence to unfavorable stalls anywhere. I'll take it two days into calendar winter. 

Could you link those videos please so I can follow their pages? Thanks

5 minutes ago, tnweathernut said:

The system that follows around day 9-10 missing the TN Valley to the south interests me….  

Yeah, lots of energy flying around on modeling the next ten days.  It Will be interesting to see if we can get some cold air to cooperate with us on one of these upcoming storm systems.  Gotta love the recent trends on storm tracks though!

• Like 6

'Twas a night before the solstice, when all through the land, Not a snowflake was found to help us in hand. The elves had worked hard with no reprieve, And while Santa made plans there was too much to grieve.

To have true Christmas bliss we'd need some white fluff, But like every year our sees of powder were rough. No sleigh rides across town and no skiing nearby, Not even from far away could snow be spied!                

But we held firm hope and wished real loud: Please let this change for our holiday crowd!             

We sure really knew that it wouldn't work out- We never get rewarded with frozen clout!          

In other places kids put on their boots; Ours just sit by sadly who use many reproofs !      

Will the reindeer ever soar 'cross the sky? Will there ever come transformation or is it goodbye?

For all those whose joy will likely prove fleeting- To you I give lots of comfort greetings!

Merry Christmas to all!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Merry Christmas (Eve....24th run) from your favorite ext global ensembles....2x 46day and 1x35day snow maps.  Euro control is picking up on two storms - Jan 12th and Jan 22nd.  When snow gets to the Panhandle....usually a good thing on modeling.  Modeling definitely is keying on an inland runner Miller A primary track with likely some Miller B thrown in as well.  Snow pack to our north means cold air could return in a hurry if the MJO will allow it or the NAO locks.  No idea if correct, but enjoy!

Screen_Shot_2023-12-25_at_9.53.40_AM.pngScreen_Shot_2023-12-25_at_9.53.56_AM.pngScreen_Shot_2023-12-25_at_9.54.19_AM.png

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Merry Christmas (Eve....24th run) from your favorite ext global ensembles....2x 46day and 1x35day snow maps.  Euro control is picking up on two storms - Jan 12th and Jan 22nd.  When snow gets to the Panhandle....usually a good thing on modeling.  Modeling definitely is keying on an inland runner Miller A primary track with likely some Miller B thrown in as well.  Snow pack to our north means cold air could return in a hurry if the MJO will allow it or the NAO locks.  No idea if correct, but enjoy!
Screen_Shot_2023-12-25_at_9.53.40_AM.pngScreen_Shot_2023-12-25_at_9.53.56_AM.pngScreen_Shot_2023-12-25_at_9.54.19_AM.png

Miller B’s are not friendly to us west of 40/81. Seems like we always end up getting dry slotted during the handoff but NE Tennessee and the plateau seems to do well.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

Miller B’s are not friendly to us west of 40/81. Seems like we always end up getting dry slotted during the handoff but NE Tennessee and the plateau seems to do well.

I don't think Miller Bs help any of us....I was just explaining the snowpack over the Midwest.  Hybrids work up here though.

• Like 2

12z ensembles(CMC and GFS) are rolling currently, and many members do show chances for light accumulations later this week.  There are a wide range of solutions ranging from west to middle to eastern forum areas or some combo thereof.  Good luck to modeling as it tries to figure that one out.  I do think the pattern after next weekend looks really good FWIW.

edit:  To clarify, modeling looks good through maybe the 12th before taking a 10-20 day break.  

• Like 6

hopefully we see our

first snow of the year here

.LONG TERM...
(Wednesday through next Monday)
Issued at 1240 PM CST Mon Dec 25 2023

A slow-moving closed upper-level low will be the main feature to
watch through the extended. On Wednesday, this low slowly tracks
southeastward through Missouri, and by late Wednesday night,
shower activity may begin to develop across far northwest portions
of our area. Showers spread eastward through Middle TN through the
day on Thursday, and then likely become focused across the east