Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Ray calls that area from about me down to Duxbury and just inland an ocean effect circle jerk. Usually if that happens, he’s sucking exhaust because the low is too far SE to really shove moisture towards his way. 

Its subsidence between the low level deformation with the CJ and the mid level deformation back west.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

But Ray to your point, sometimes the CCB cranks with the 850 jet and while not as intense as mid level deffy....there can be a subby area as you stated. I guess I wouldn't blame the CJ directly...but I know what you mean. 

It contributes, I think...especially in a situation like 12/5/03, when the CF was right along the N shore....I was in Wilmington.

I don't think that's a climate repeater date, Dec 30

I can't recall very specifically but I don't think there's been very many siggy winter events in that run up to January 1.   The mention of the last week of Jan '93 got me wondering if that was rare back whence.  I mean it's been now 30 years since 1993 and have we had a sig system on 28-29-30?

9 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I can't recall very specifically but I don't think there's been very many siggy winter events in that run up to January 1.   The mention of the last week of Jan '93 got me wondering if that was rare back whence.  I mean it's been now 30 years since 1993 and have we had an sig system on 28-29-30?

12/30/2008 had a critter dumping 8 daytime inches over an 8-10 hour period.  And it got quite cold.  I loved that event.  That was before subforums and phineas was ready to strangle me…lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Debbie’s might want to take a look at this wild sounding for HFD before trying to wish wind away 

3JgqDWB.jpg

Not likely we mix to the top of the mixed layer there. Adjusting the momentum transfer from 10 to 1 yields this. There is also a bit of an inversion there...even the weakest of inversions hold back mixing down of winds substantially. We'll need some convection to maximize gust potential. 

image.png.f230677965f3aeaee75d39ff68f2951c.png

10 minutes ago, weathafella said:

12/30/2008 had a critter dumping 8 daytime inches over an 8-10 hour period.  And it got quite cold.  I loved that event.  That was before subforums and phineas was ready to strangle me…lol.

Yeah.  But I was thinking more big cahoona.   Ha, I suspect there's been a little critter biting at the ankles of every date. 

I wonder .. hm, what hapless p.o.s. flogged date out of the entire NDJFM five months owns the singular distinction as the lowest storm frequency out of all of them.

36 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Let em go. They’ll do everything in power to wish it away 

Hey…I’d love a real ripper. Bring it! Bring it all!  This guy isn’t  wishing anything away. So don’t lump me in with that nonsense.  Im just being realistic…we won’t have anything damaging here imo.  Southeast CT, south shore, Cape…sure. Inland WOR it’ll be a yawner most likely. 

9 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

this will work. what a ridge in central Canada. that'll promote HP in a good spot

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_anom-3764800.thumb.png.51c1b7bfe12e25f81e3eea5c51363075.png

You almost get the feeling eventually there will be a 950 mb low actually on the map yet ... because we've been so conditioned to getting royally porked that we'd be saying, "features seem to be in a good position" 

• Like 1

On 12/12/2023 at 5:53 PM, Layman said:

My Amazon order for this book got cancelled.  No reason given. :thumbsdown:  Not sure what this means for winter...

On 12/7/2023 at 5:25 PM, FXWX said:

Folks should go and read David Ludlum New England Weather Book... Wonderful sections on the winters of the 1700/1800 time span... You will come across quotes from journals and diaries written back then complaining about the lack of cold and snow compared to past winters...   

My amazon order arrived.........

IMG_3739.jpg

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Not likely we mix to the top of the mixed layer there. Adjusting the momentum transfer from 10 to 1 yields this. There is also a bit of an inversion there...even the weakest of inversions hold back mixing down of winds substantially. We'll need some convection to maximize gust potential. 

image.png.f230677965f3aeaee75d39ff68f2951c.png

This from the dude who gets so excitable over a thunderstorm in summer which never produce .. and staring at a bigtime wind event here and not a post or a tweet or anything 

• Haha 2
  • Weenie 2

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

This from the dude who gets so excitable over a thunderstorm in summer which never produce .. and staring at a bigtime wind event here and not a post or a tweet or anything 

You can lead the gift horse on a full court press but you can't make him drink the kool-aid. 

• Haha 3

48 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I can't recall very specifically but I don't think there's been very many siggy winter events in that run up to January 1.   The mention of the last week of Jan '93 got me wondering if that was rare back whence.  I mean it's been now 30 years since 1993 and have we had a sig system on 28-29-30?