Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

10 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

We have enough meh’s and debbies here. The old George is needed, more fun, but he struck out the past couple winters calling for 48-60” apocalyptic blizzards so he’s swung the polar opposite to compensate. Unfortunately winter sits on the other end of his seesaw. 

I won't be surprised if something pops the last month of the week...I loved that week back in November, before the PAC jet swallowed half of December whole.

56 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Not by much... but more crucial, the wind balanced g-wind velocities are 35 kts or <  

That latter aspect speaks to the 'compressibility' of the flow - which may be a slopping way to describe whether the gradient speeds up as the S/W approaches, to a state that is too fast and shearing/absorption begins to rob from the total wave mechanics.  

It was always the combination of those two metrics:   582 and balanced geostrophic wind at or < 32 kts.  But we can play with that.   I mean, if the heights are 586 ( say ) but the gap between the isopleths is large and velocities are light, than as the S/W/intermediate wave space trough approaches the SE in general ... less in the way of absorption ensues.  Contrasting, if the heights are 576 but the wind is already up around 50 kts, than that's negative too.

Could you explain how you decipher that? Is it the barbs on the wind emblems? I guess this is where its abundantly clear that I am not a met by trade :lol:

Eyeballing it, but by end of this weekend I believe North America (including south Canada only) will be tracking close to a month behind in terms of snow cover (SWE).  

Kinda important to add a AN bias to surface temps until/unless this gap closes.

Area covered by snow:

Dec 15 2023: 18.7%

Dec 15 2022: 42.3%

Dec 15 2015: 37.4%

December 2015 was paltry snow-cover in the CONUS but manpack across southern canada, especially vs this year. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

That season was death by a thousand CJs for me...ugh. FU oscillation where it would go from ORH county to CJ.....CJ to ORH....I was always boned in Wilmington.

I got semi porked jn the Feb CJ where I was. I think I had like 16” or so, while 8 miles east had 30.  Another one of those “will I ever see a two foot storm…” questions.

2 minutes ago, Layman said:

CJ - is there an official term associated with this?  I think over the years I've seen "coastal jack" and "cream jeans" however in todays usage, I'm assuming the former...?

Ray calls that area from about me down to Duxbury and just inland an ocean effect circle jerk. Usually if that happens, he’s sucking exhaust because the low is too far SE to really shove moisture towards his way. 

• Thanks 2

Euro still showing that weak signal around 12/23 too....verbatim it runs into a block and gets shoved SW....it's not a big system, but could be the last chance to whiten the ground before Xmas. 26 years ago was a pretty weak-ass looking system too.....lol.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1