Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Yesvember or November?

Go Kart Mozart

31 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Looks rather mundane overall after cold shot around  Veterans Day. EPS has a GOAK trough, but some signs of an Aleutian low perhaps trying to build at the tail end of the run. That wouldn’t be a bad thing heading into late Monday and December. 

I think we will get an Aleutian Low to form at some point...not just because of it's climo with EL Nino but other factors too such as the trend with the PDO. We ay see instances where the Aleutian Low weakens but if we can get a nice Aleutian Low established that could help enhance potential for blocking as well. Interesting times ahead.

2 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Just can’t sustain a good look out west…story of the last few years 

i doubt that'll be the case this year. +PNA should be pretty well favored especially as after mid-Jan. there isn't much of a correlation to El Nino this early. we'd like to see the Aleutian Low develop once into the first few weeks of Dec

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Could be pretty mild Tuesday as hints of last year return. 

Wholesale change swept through the guidance.   Maybe the writing was on the wall?  Not sure... but the previous 0z cycle was 'strange,' before the 12z (yesterday) attempted to bring certain aspects back more coherently again.. The idea being, sometimes the scaffolding wobbles before it collapses.

Sensitivity appears to be the west and north Pacific handling.  This run made a significant move away from the AB(cold stormy N/A) to the AA (mild/ flat N/A) circulation mode. It's aggressive enough that it's sending opposing wave signs/negative aspects through a region Will and I were musing over ... forcing a positively tilting victim of destructive large-scale interference...  I suspect that is what Kevin's referring too.  Will an I were impressed with that structure in prior guidance etc.

Anyway, this is an interesting change for nerds..  That's an usually massive difference in/for one run.  We actually end up with a zonal flow/ridge compression over mid latitude continent out in time, and that could just as well be a prelude to warm up mid month.   Typically we meet continuity breaks with skepticism... but this change was the entire hemisphere from Japan to the Atlantic - what could change that much mass inertia, and just be a burp run?  I dunno here folks.  we'll see

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I’m not bothered by it. I’m hoping it changes later in November and December for a time. 

There are likely to be some meltdowns in December if it goes classic El Niño climo. If we score a decent December though, then very good chance we’re off to the races. 

But a dud December would be favored. Even those very good mod/strong Nino years like 57-58, 65-66, and 86-87 all had dud Decembers. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

So because we have a seasonably cool morning on November 2nd, that means this year won’t suck like last? What is the logic behind that? lol 

This is below seasonably cool..but that’s not the logic Brett.  You have one speed….and that’s all Down all the time.  What makes you think it’s gonna be like last year? Persistence Forecasting? Law of averages, last year was the worst, I feel there are wholesale changes from last year already in the scene …so it will be different than last year, better.   Will we mild up, here and there, sure.  But it’s not last year all over again. Take it to the bank. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

There are likely to be some meltdowns in December if it goes classic El Niño climo. If we score a decent December though, then very good chance we’re off to the races. 

But a dud December would be favored. Even those very good mod/strong Nino years like 57-58, 65-66, and 86-87 all had dud Decembers. 

57-58 was one of the years I heavily skewed towards in my winter outlook. 65-66 was in one of my lists but I eliminated that as it was near super strong category (or into). 

How was 86-87 in terms of snowfall? I had that as a wild card analog but I felt this winter would see more blocking than that winter.

28 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

57-58 was one of the years I heavily skewed towards in my winter outlook. 65-66 was in one of my lists but I eliminated that as it was near super strong category (or into). 

How was 86-87 in terms of snowfall? I had that as a wild card analog but I felt this winter would see more blocking than that winter.

'86-'87 was big over the interior around pike-northward...though heavily skewed by a monster January. The Cape got a monster blizzard in February that missed the rest of the region. I think BOS had something like 2" from that storm while parts of the cape had 30"+.

Your area was decent but wouldn't qualify as a monster that season. I think BDL had low 50s for snow IIRC?