• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
SolidIcewx

1 hour ago, TheClimateChanger said:

With only a couple days left in the month, it appears almost certain that many areas in the Midwestern United States will see one of the warmest absolute minimum temperatures ever recorded in the month of September in 2023. The lack of any early season cold is a blessing farmers and sensitive plants (including hardy palm trees).

Minneapolis, Minnesota

image.png.b9f27f02f9e36fad828804f2af3779f2.png

Chicago, Illinois

image.png.ec32bc197e51add37146f65e155fa0b5.png

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

image.png.c5788c3ef552cf17f3599f02672743ff.png

Des Moines, Iowa

image.png.865eeedda85696f60a45794977c080c2.png

Grand Forks, North Dakota

image.png.6816dc99e5bd799d45c561560c6f1373.png

Marquette, Michigan

image.png.aee9feb279e09301e2d6d5b2eeb92d4a.png

And we will begin October with one of the warmest on records as well.  If people aren't having a "lightbulb" moment about what's going on, I don't know how to help them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, hardypalmguy said:

And we will begin October with one of the warmest on records as well.  If people aren't having a "lightbulb" moment about what's going on, I don't know how to help them.

It’s the old analogy of the frog in the pot of water slowly boiling that does nothing but toss the frog into the boiling water and it jumps right out. We are way past the point of no return. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hardypalmguy said:

2007 was hot. 07-08 is a top 5 winter for pretty much everyone in this subforum beside Ohio and they had one of their best storms ever. So no.

2007 was hot. 07-08 is a top 5 winter for pretty much everyone in this subforum beside Ohio and they had one of their best storms ever. So no.

Sept 2023 will set record for 53 as the coldest it got all month in MKE. Every other September has had a colder night than that. 2019 was #2 and 2021 was #3 on that list as well. Which is clearly forming a pattern of rapid warming.
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, hardypalmguy said:

Sept 2023 will set record for 53 as the coldest it got all month in MKE. Every other September has had a colder night than that. 2019 was #2 and 2021 was #3 on that list as well. Which is clearly forming a pattern of rapid warming.

Which I am not denying at all. I know that nearly every record in this region especially in summer has been set in the last 20 years, you aren't telling me knowledge I don't already know. All I am saying is even with that heat it doesn't predicate what can happen in Winter.

On 9/27/2023 at 6:27 PM, Stebo said:

Cooler nights in Aug definitely help, I noticed when I went up north mid Aug to Lake County there was already a splash of color there.

It was the coolest August since 2004. Could have played a role. Fortunately the coming warm spell has shortened and muted from the GFS original nonsense.

6 hours ago, Stebo said:

Which I am not denying at all. I know that nearly every record in this region especially in summer has been set in the last 20 years, you aren't telling me knowledge I don't already know. All I am saying is even with that heat it doesn't predicate what can happen in Winter.

Summer min temps have risen moreso than max. We have yet to ever see some of the torrid daytime heat we saw from the 1930s-50s in my lifetime. I wonder if the humidity was lower at the time.

And yes, summer or fall temps (warm or cold) have no bearing on winter.

On 9/28/2023 at 2:25 PM, TheClimateChanger said:

With only a couple days left in the month, it appears almost certain that many areas in the Midwestern United States will see one of the warmest absolute minimum temperatures ever recorded in the month of September in 2023. The lack of any early season cold is a blessing farmers and sensitive plants (including hardy palm trees).

Minneapolis, Minnesota

image.png.b9f27f02f9e36fad828804f2af3779f2.png

Chicago, Illinois

image.png.ec32bc197e51add37146f65e155fa0b5.png

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

image.png.c5788c3ef552cf17f3599f02672743ff.png

Des Moines, Iowa

image.png.865eeedda85696f60a45794977c080c2.png

Grand Forks, North Dakota

image.png.6816dc99e5bd799d45c561560c6f1373.png

Marquette, Michigan

image.png.aee9feb279e09301e2d6d5b2eeb92d4a.png

See, now, to a stat guy like me that's an interesting and relevant stat for those areas. But when I posted that in 2023 Detroit had its lowest annual maximum temperature in 108 years, you said I was "making it out to be more than it was". So if lowest annual maximum temperature in over 100 years isnt noteworthy, I don't see how highest September min temp is ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was thinking of posting a loop of 250mb analysis, North America view. I am saving them just to study the jet stream over the El Nino winter. It's kind of because I almost always look at the 500mb map for the USA but ignore what's happening at 250mb in the Pacific. Does anybody want me to post a 14-day loop of this?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chinook said:

I was thinking of posting a loop of 250mb analysis, North America view. I am saving them just to study the jet stream over the El Nino winter. It's kind of because I almost always look at the 500mb map for the USA but ignore what's happening at 250mb in the Pacific. Does anybody want me to post a 14-day loop of this?

Sounds very intriguing.  Please post :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Going from the UP of Michigan to Columbus Ohio in 24 hours is quite the shock to the system for the start of the work week for me. High of 88 down here today with some humidity. If I did not know any better I’d say it was late august  here. Thankfully back to the Detroit area for work finally starting next week. Got some good pictures from up across the Big Mac but file sizes too large to post until I figure something out.

14 minutes ago, hardypalmguy said:

Warming falls are definitely happening.

fb3e2aba1c30f734a721b2139a56c0f1.jpg

Just to clarify, I am not disagreeing with falls warming.  It is just interesting to see 40s being a measurement being we are nearly the same latitude.  MBY we have had 40s or below every month this year (Note: July 31st was coolest 52F in Flint while MBY was 49F (my area is normally cooler than Flint by 2-4F)). 

1 hour ago, Lightning said:

Just to clarify, I am not disagreeing with falls warming.  It is just interesting to see 40s being a measurement being we are nearly the same latitude.  MBY we have had 40s or below every month this year (Note: July 31st was coolest 52F in Flint while MBY was 49F (my area is normally cooler than Flint by 2-4F)). 

40s are kind of an odd metric because technically they are possible at any time of the year. While unlikely in the summer at the heat island stations, they are fairly expected in rural areas. At Detroit the last 40s were June 13th & the first 40s September 14th this year, although when DTW hit 50 in August, most of the area was in the 40s.

The current average first Fall freeze at Detroit, October 23rd, is 1 day later than the long-term average of October 22nd.

• Like 2

If you live in a cold swamp you’ll get 40s every month due to inversions. I see it on my way to work all summer. Temp crashes in swamps. Not representative of the entire area.