• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Central PA Autumn 2023

45 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Similar story here, sitting at 56 and had a midnight high of 67. 

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Holding steady at 57 here. East breeze is picking up.

We got up to 64 but settled back to 62 now.  Baltimore and South is in the 70's and 80's.    CXY has poked into the 60's. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Temp down 2 spots to 55 here. Pretty raw with the stiff breeze.

Definitely a big difference here.   The sun keeps peeking out.  Winds are down to almost nothing.   MU made a good call for his forecast area.   Some mesos (not just the rgem) keep suggesting 65-70 tomorrow so that will be an interesting Monday watch item. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

Sort of crazy but MDT is on pace to end Sun 10-11 degrees AN due to the midnight high and limited temp drop tonight.   Looking forward, GFS ends the growing season on Thursday

image.thumb.png.9a2a92243fa3832ff56f684686949fae.png

Glad you brought this up, I find this type of weather fascinating! To think it could end up as a double digit AN day when most of the daylight hours were below normal is...crazy. LOL 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mahantango#1 said:

might be something to this upcoming winter with all the nuts. I can't read the article without subscribing to it. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2023/10/29/acorns-walnuts-winter-snow-mast/?fbclid=IwAR2cXXbUyGBxNXfiGs9tywIvWLqWw527kwB-WDfnAGOPaY541psy1MjvHn4

I wasn't able to read the article. I definitely believe that many plants and animals telegraph adverse long rang conditions, but mast years for nuts and pine cones are attributed to prior winters being mild. A mast year for nuts was expected throughout much of the eastern US this year. Nut and drupe trees including the oak will abort there nuts and drupes ( walnuts) early during drought conditions . I made a comment a few weeks about it not being as historically dry as people and paper claim for most areas that I'm sure many roled there eyes at.  The nuts,  drupes and pine cones in mast would not be if it was truly historically dry . 

• Like 1

Socked in with fog this AM....54 degrees.  Frost Advisory for the LSV tonight.  Freeze warning probably coming later in the week.   MDT ended up 9.5 AN yesterday so technically not double digit.  They now stand at the MJS 59.7 mean average for the month.   All the models I looked at say the front will ease over South PA today before the temps can jump up too high.   

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Socked in with fog this AM....54 degrees.  Frost Advisory for the LSV tonight.  Freeze warning probably coming later in the week.   MDT ended up 9.5 AN yesterday so technically not double digit.  They now stand at the MJS 59.7 mean average for the month.   All the models I looked at say the front will ease over South PA today before the temps can jump up too high.   

No fog here but misty and damp - total rainfall over the past 2 days currently stands at .17"

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

I have not moved off of 53, ‘tis my high and low since midnight, to go along with .18” of total precip. Bring on the cold. 

Just checked, and I started at 65 and dropped steadily to 54 even with a few peeks from the sun.  Dreary fall day, but I like them.  I'm whacked like that.  As my daughter sent pics from Denver and her snowy drive to work Saturday, I was a touch jealous, even if early snow is the kiss of death round here....I'd still take it.  

• Like 2

The cold front that slipped through over the weekend is trying to move back north this morning which has caused some light rain. Since yesterday we have received 0.22" of rain. There may be quite the spread in temperatures early this afternoon as temps may be near 60 across NW Chester County and near 70 across southern portions of the county. High temps should occur around 2pm. The cold front will slice though the county from NW to SE during the 2pm hour with temps falling quickly through the 50's and reaching the 40's by 7pm across much of the county. Much colder weather with temps remaining in the 40's for highs for Tuesday through Thursday. We have a slight chance of some wet snow mixed with rain toward Wednesday morning. Widespread freezing temperatures are likely both Thursday and Friday morning before temps rise to near normal levels by next weekend.
Records for today: High 82 (1946) / Low 21 (1928) / Rain 1.48" (1935)
image.png.0dab7f155527d8afd0cfad12048029eb.png
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:
A Frost Advisory has been issued for the LSV from 4-9 AM Tuesday, but the combination of partly-to-mostly cloudy skies & an overnight breeze should prevent frost in most areas & keep lows between 36-42°F. However, I expect the first widespread freeze of the season Thurs morning.

We have the blankets ready.....let the Strawberry and a few other plants get a bit of extra time before the real cold comes and we stop trying to save them.    

• Like 1