Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Central PA Autumn 2023

10 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

I'll guess 83

Probably a good call.  Mesos say 80 but they have been a few degrees too cool recently.  Not so confident now on MDT breaking their daily high record with their abnormal readings the last few days...assumption being the river skewing reality.    They only ended up at 72 yesterday with all the other NWS sites near them were 77-78 expect MUI which was 2 higher at 74.   MDT coming in cooler than MUI with similar wind and sky conditions is more than questionable.  

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Probably a good call.  Mesos say 80 but they have been a few degrees too cool recently.  Not so confident on MDT breaking their record with their abnormal readings the last few days...assumption being the river skewing reality.    They only ended up at 72 yesterday with all the other NWS sites near them were 77-78 expect MUI which was 2 higher at 74.   MDT coming in cooler than MUI with similar wind and sky conditions is more than questionable.  

I don't think you can question the NWS (MDT) temp readings. I tried a few years ago on the one at Selinsgrove. I got shot down by NWS at State College.

15 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

I don't think you can question the NWS (MDT) temp readings. I tried a few years ago on the one at Selinsgrove. I got shot down by NWS at State College.

Well, I present this again.  Someone could argue that a wind change caused this but that is a reason they are not a good spot to represent the area as a whole.    

For about 2 1/2 hours they fluctuated between 72 and 75 which is certainly understandable...they then jumped from 74/75 to 78 (says 79 but was really 78) then back to 73, all in a 10 min period.   How does a professional therm drop 5 degrees in 5 min with no front passage?    image.png.652db9bf6658efcf562eecd5ffc660f8.png

image.png.7789997cd6c5ad1f014a87946223bc6b.png

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Well, I present this again.  Someone could argue that a wind change caused this but that is a reason they are not a good spot to represent the area as a whole.    

For about 2 1/2 hours they fluctuated between 72 and 75 which is certainly understandable...they then jumped from 74/75 to 78 (says 79 but was really 78) then back to 73, all in a 10 min period.   How does a professional therm drop 5 degrees in 5 min with no front passage?    image.png.652db9bf6658efcf562eecd5ffc660f8.png

image.png.7789997cd6c5ad1f014a87946223bc6b.png

Was the wind out of the same direction on those highlighted readings?

11 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

Was the wind out of the same direction on those highlighted readings?

Sorry, I should have included the wind.  The first thing to note is that the wind was basically negligible.  Several readings were 0 and most others were 3.  Second, the wind went from N to SE then to S during the up and down period.  Looking at the highlighted previous winds showed similar gyrations without wild temp jumps.     In fact, it appears to me that the N designation was default for no wind.    Every N was actually 0.   

image.png.61bfae29be20040442900493655a2409.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

The snow map is lol & drool worthy, let me know if anyone wants to see it…

I remember the slop storm in the early 80s when my great aunt passed away. It snowed 6in. And turned to sleet then rain. It was a wet snow, and it snowed hard for a few hours. I remember it very well, cause I had a Mercury Couger with the wide summer tires E-60s on and got stuck and my family pushing on the rear to get me moving. That was in November the first week.

• Like 1

Today may very well be our warmest day until next spring. Most spots will see high temperatures well into the 70's. However, it will not be close to the record high for today which is 84 degrees set way back in 1919. A cold front crosses the area tonight and it will feel much cooler by later tonight but with low temps still almost 10 degrees above normal at near 50 degrees. Tomorrow will be a much different day with showers around a cool east wind and temps remaining nearly steady in the mid-50's across most of the county. Shower chances continue through Monday. Even chillier air moves in by Monday night with highs through Thursday remaining in the 40's during the day. It looks likely the growing season will end across Chester County by as early as Wednesday morning but more likely by Thursday morning with lows in the upper 20's. Some lower spots in the County have already seen freezing temps this fall but this week will see a widespread freeze.
Records for today: High 84 (1919) / Low 17 (1936) / Rain 1.60" (1902)
image.png.b1203b748453c1b7d67ad0ceb91bb125.png
  • Haha 1

With any chance of 90 degree days behind us - below is an updated analysis of 90+ days over the last 20 years comparing the PHL Airport vs. the NWS COOP sites in Chester County. Here in East Nantmeal we finished with no 90+ days for the 4th time in the last 20 years. This was true for both of my ground based stations...although my rooftop station (poorly sited) did record 6 such days. Of note all locations experienced less 90+ days during the last 10 years than the previous 10. Of course the PHL Airport continues to average more with their heat island problems.

image.png.e78c238775a14ba404b9eec4e8cee480.png