• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023-2024 Ski Season Thead

Skivt2

I'm looking to make a trip to the Greens either M or Tu.  I'm guessing everyone and their mother will be on the hill Tuesday, but I'm worried if I go Monday there'll be wind holds.

Jay will likely have nothing on tramside. Might get the jet running, but even the Bonnie could be on hold with strong nw flow.

• Thanks 1

Skied yesterday at Mount Cranmore participating in the NE Ski Museum's Hannes Schneider Meister Cup.

This fund raising event also recognizes the history and continued contributions of the 10th Mountain Division. The event is always a good time and had good symmetry with my recent visit to Mount Hale/Ski Cooper in Colorado.

Spend the night in Meredith where the bottom half of the lake is ice free - not sure if it ever froze up. There is still ice in Meredith Bay and Center Harbor. Didn't encounter any snow in the woods en route up to MWV until Sandwich and Tamworth.

Mount Cranmore and N. Conway has almost zero natural snow but the mountain is generally covered pretty well in man-made. Their closing date is in two weeks - probably enough snow to push around if they want. 

PXL_20240309_143032436~2.jpg

markup_1000012755.jpg

• Like 1

A comparison of the same location at Barnes Camp over the past couple days.

Stowe Mountain Rescue training the other day in one photo.  Then early this evening as the upslope started.  Bare and dusty ground to winter.

The change in scenery is nice. Friday was full late-spring vibes.  Today is winter.  Moving from late April back to March.  More winter over the next 24 hours too.

IMG_8605.thumb.jpeg.9131301404543042fa10277fe5be2fbc.jpeg

IMG_8596.thumb.jpeg.0a1c226c23d2a6f244eb7c84f4cd3f0c.jpeg

• Like 2

On 3/10/2024 at 11:11 PM, powderfreak said:

A comparison of the same location at Barnes Camp over the past couple days.

Stowe Mountain Rescue training the other day in one photo.  Then early this evening as the upslope started.  Bare and dusty ground to winter.

The change in scenery is nice. Friday was full late-spring vibes.  Today is winter.  Moving from late April back to March.  More winter over the next 24 hours too.

IMG_8605.thumb.jpeg.9131301404543042fa10277fe5be2fbc.jpeg

IMG_8596.thumb.jpeg.0a1c226c23d2a6f244eb7c84f4cd3f0c.jpeg

Those are nice machines.

Hope it's OK to post Rocky Mountain updates here (the Mountain West forum is dead). Eldora got 46" from this storm we just had, their largest total since 2003. They were closed yesterday and part of today. Buddy sent me this picture from the road in Nederland - the plow couldn't handle the snow.

Not sure if I'll actually try to get out tomorrow - the reports I've heard say that this is basically cement (who am I kidding though, of course I'll get out).

YyzdGWu.jpeg

• Like 7

Hope it's OK to post Rocky Mountain updates here (the Mountain West forum is dead). Eldora got 46" from this storm we just had, their largest total since 2003. They were closed yesterday and part of today. Buddy sent me this picture from the road in Nederland - the plow couldn't handle the snow.
Not sure if I'll actually try to get out tomorrow - the reports I've heard say that this is basically cement (who am I kidding though, of course I'll get out).
YyzdGWu.jpeg

Missed it by a week but it was still pretty damn good out in Colorado. A-bay, copper, winter park. Mary Jane at winter park probably my favorite pod. Copper overall.
432a7d8a60c167fbdf43a02654b3a750.jpg
d21feb93fa31760c3c721027e977aeb0.jpg
52dbf427cf917767d229a38211e2cd56.jpg
937ab232f7500f3b14dfaaf7aae36291.jpg

• Like 9

22 hours ago, bwt3650 said:

Missed it by a week but it was still pretty damn good out in Colorado. A-bay, copper, winter park. Mary Jane at winter park probably my favorite pod. Copper overall.

Nice shots. Were you able to ski the East Wall at A-Bay? Love those Mary Jane trees. Only rivaled by the aspens off the Sundown lift at Steamboat IMO (at least in CO). I think Copper has the best lift layout of any of the resorts around here.

I did get up to Eldora today. Talked to a patroller and he said the runs looked like a "battlefield" yesterday with all of the carnage. Today featured some of the tallest bumps I've seen in years. They were really soft though. Had the trees to myself and they were deep. Can't complain.

• Like 3

Great day at Saddleback 3/16. Visibility was iffy at times, but the whole mountain was open and lift lines were never more than a few minutes.  Made the hike to Mule Skinner. Good snow.

• Like 2

On 3/15/2024 at 5:12 PM, MidlothianWX said:

YyzdGWu.jpeg

Hey Ant what's up

@airandrice posted this on Instagram.

I think this image shows how snowy the scene and trees are.  Plus the green St Paddy’s Day waterfall.  4” at the High Road plot in the past 24 hrs, but measured below this picture’s elevation.  The 500-1000ft higher zones of the ski area have seen more snow for sure in most elevational event.

Our reported snowfall totals are from an elevation below this location and well below the tops of the lift system.  It’s been a good run up in the highest elevations.

IMG_8705.thumb.jpeg.efa37a1bdcb4837f7de5869c665c3e59.jpeg   

In the alpine…

IMG_8707.thumb.jpeg.e523deb1680814454ad497bb3bb5de23.jpeg

On 3/16/2024 at 9:20 PM, MidlothianWX said:

Nice shots. Were you able to ski the East Wall at A-Bay? Love those Mary Jane trees. Only rivaled by the aspens off the Sundown lift at Steamboat IMO (at least in CO). I think Copper has the best lift layout of any of the resorts around here.

I did get up to Eldora today. Talked to a patroller and he said the runs looked like a "battlefield" yesterday with all of the carnage. Today featured some of the tallest bumps I've seen in years. They were really soft though. Had the trees to myself and they were deep. Can't complain.

I did hit the east wall.  That was good, as well as the beavers terrain.  I didn't do any of the steep gully stuff.  Not sure I could handle it and the group I was with doesn't have the same "oh well, guess we have to get down it" mentality I do, so there was no appetite to go over there.  Didn't love A-bay.  It seemed like a lot of just open bowls with no real trails; just kind of pick a line.  Those beaver trees were great, but when you take out the extreme stuff and the steep gullies, it got repetitive on the mountain.  The hike to stuff looked like it is some of the best in CO though.  Copper I felt like I could spend three days exploring and still not be bored.

Nice little weekend up at Stowe and Jay.  Awesome turns up high Friday and Saturday at Stowe.  Friday was pretty quiet with fresh tracks to be had bell to bell.

Jr freeride comp on Sunday started out a bit wet but transitioned to heavy snow after lunch.  They held the comp on UN which was a first but it worked out alright.  Skiing after the comp was pretty amazing and nobody was there.  A ton of snow out in the woods.

Saddleback adventure this weekend!  About as close to being out west as it gets in New England. 

1872EB75-C475-430F-81B8-21BAE6367030.jpeg

00D50B4F-748F-4927-B1B0-62803226DB6C.jpeg

1FBC091E-1F89-4FCC-BB5B-8701CAA2F516.jpeg

F8FF7BC4-70AF-4107-AD7D-1727367F2324.jpeg

• Like 1

On 3/19/2024 at 12:54 PM, bwt3650 said:

I did hit the east wall.  That was good, as well as the beavers terrain.  I didn't do any of the steep gully stuff.  Not sure I could handle it and the group I was with doesn't have the same "oh well, guess we have to get down it" mentality I do, so there was no appetite to go over there.  Didn't love A-bay.  It seemed like a lot of just open bowls with no real trails; just kind of pick a line.  Those beaver trees were great, but when you take out the extreme stuff and the steep gullies, it got repetitive on the mountain.  The hike to stuff looked like it is some of the best in CO though.  Copper I felt like I could spend three days exploring and still not be bored.

Live in Summit County now and have skied every resort extensively so I'll throw in my 2 cents. I would say A-basin is my favorite in the area but it's for the reasons you mentioned. The hike to and expert alpine terrain is the best in this area by a decent margin. Breckenridge would be a fairly close 2nd with the six senses, lake chutes and peak 7 areas. E-chair is also fun. Copper is a very solid mountain and has a good consistent fall-line and variety of terrain. It now dominates the park scene around here as well. The East Wall is great but requires some effort. The steep gullies are fun and in my opinion slightly exaggerated in terms of danger and no more so than some of the upper east wall stuff. The gullies are very rocky though and you will hit them even with good coverage. #2 or #4 are probably the most consistent. The Pali terrain at A-basin is also great and has some of the most challenging tree skiing and narrow cut steep runs in this area. A-basin is generally my favorite on nice sunny days in April when coverage is the best. Vertigo can be a real issue there on bad visibility days since most lifts go above tree-line.

45 minutes ago, LaGrangewx said:

Live in Summit County now and have skied every resort extensively so I'll throw in my 2 cents. I would say A-basin is my favorite in the area but it's for the reasons you mentioned. The hike to and expert alpine terrain is the best in this area by a decent margin. Breckenridge would be a fairly close 2nd with the six senses, lake chutes and peak 7 areas. E-chair is also fun. Copper is a very solid mountain and has a good consistent fall-line and variety of terrain. It now dominates the park scene around here as well. The East Wall is great but requires some effort. The steep gullies are fun and in my opinion slightly exaggerated in terms of danger and no more so than some of the upper east wall stuff. The gullies are very rocky though and you will hit them even with good coverage. #2 or #4 are probably the most consistent. The Pali terrain at A-basin is also great and has some of the most challenging tree skiing and narrow cut steep runs in this area. A-basin is generally my favorite on nice sunny days in April when coverage is the best. Vertigo can be a real issue there on bad visibility days since most lifts go above tree-line.

its funny, I skied abasin copper and wp.  Loved abasin so much, the steeps, the trees and most of all the vibe.  hiked up the east wall.  I left there wanting to ski more of it.  WP was way above my expectations.  We skied MJ 90% of the time.  But I was bored at copper. Caveat, Abasin and WP I skied with my son who is hard charging non stop ski anywhere.  Whereas at Copper I met some old friends who ski blues so I skied with them mostly to be social.  Also, the light was bad when I skied copper bowl.  Also, found copper to be too disneyfied for my tastes.

• Like 1

I could see myself having a different opinion of a-bay if I was with a different group. Like I said, that hike to stuff looked amazing, but I would have had to leave the guys I was with and I didn’t wanted to be un-sociable (funny because skiing is probably the only time when I’m like that).

If you are telling me the gullies are no more difficult than the Breck stuff like e chair or windows, I would def give it a shot. I’m a pretty aggressive skier when it comes to trying difficult terrain, I just pause a little bit more when I’m out west in mountains I don’t know.

Breck is awesome. Love me some Tom’s baby? Or all that peak 7 stuff. Seems like less crowds over there too. T-bar is overrated imo.

Really enjoy your insights into the area. I’ll have to check with you before next trip.

Hey everyone - I'm heading up to Jay Sunday for what looks to be some really good skiing. Was wondering how the local roads are after a storm? We won't be getting in until 3-4pm. Was hoping I don't need to swap on the snow tires again. 

We went up last year and had a blast even though it was warm and rainy. A couple weeks ago I didn't know if there would even be snow left for our trip!

9 hours ago, LaGrangewx said:

A-basin is generally my favorite on nice sunny days in April when coverage is the best. Vertigo can be a real issue there on bad visibility days since most lifts go above tree-line.

No kidding about the vertigo above tree-line at a-basin! For the last run of the day we had to ski from the top of Beavers down the front side to the base in snow and fog. It wasn't just that the light was flat, we literally couldn't tell up from down. All the expert skiers looked like we'd never been on skis before until reaching the trees.

Looks like another epic weekend for the northeast! Will be at Killington/Pico Friday-Monday. Pretty amazing how great this season has been considering the positive temperature departures.

Hey everyone - I'm heading up to Jay Sunday for what looks to be some really good skiing. Was wondering how the local roads are after a storm? We won't be getting in until 3-4pm. Was hoping I don't need to swap on the snow tires again. 
We went up last year and had a blast even though it was warm and rainy. A couple weeks ago I didn't know if there would even be snow left for our trip!

It looks like snow ends by midnight Saturday. If that’s the case, they will be fine. 242 is always plowed really well….but, if it’s still actively snowing, it’s tough to get up without snow tires/awd if coming from the Montgomery side. The other stuff all depends on when snow ends and how much. Usually 12 hours is good to get stuff clear; but if it’s 2 feet, I wouldn’t take the chance without snow tires…so I wrote all that to say “it depends”

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, sankaty said:

No kidding about the vertigo above tree-line at a-basin! For the last run of the day we had to ski from the top of Beavers down the front side to the base in snow and fog. It wasn't just that the light was flat, we literally couldn't tell up from down. All the expert skiers looked like we'd never been on skis before until reaching the trees.

Looks like another epic weekend for the northeast! Will be at Killington/Pico Friday-Monday. Pretty amazing how great this season has been considering the positive temperature departures.

I got vertigo skiing at Mt Batchelor years ago. Skiing from the summit and no trees to give the snow much definition. 

6 hours ago, bwt3650 said:

It looks like snow ends by midnight Saturday. If that’s the case, they will be fine. 242 is always plowed really well….but, if it’s still actively snowing, it’s tough to get up without snow tires/awd if coming from the Montgomery side. The other stuff all depends on when snow ends and how much. Usually 12 hours is good to get stuff clear; but if it’s 2 feet, I wouldn’t take the chance without snow tires…so I wrote all that to say “it depends”

Much appreciated! We'll be coming up via i91. I'll keep an eye on reports Sat evening and make the call. Stoked to see some real snow after a pretty crummy winter season!

• Like 1

On 3/20/2024 at 7:50 PM, bwt3650 said:

Some of my favorite Breck stuff…

156389e08d0f6259a89086ffcf19b386.jpg
abc4070e57271c44e680db7c72fb1d23.jpg

Heading to Breck next week (2 days in Keystone then 4 days in Breck).  Staying right at base of peak 7 all four days.  These photos make me both super pumped and super scared!  First for me and the family out west.

• Like 1

Friday at attitash was groomed and no crowd and fun.  Saturday at wildcat was powder refilling and was more than I could handle, just dont have the strength as in the past.  Sunday back to attitash and a mix of groomed powder and fresh tracks, got a six pack of runs, very nice.  It is a nice feeling to have abundant snow everywhere 

Skied today at Cannon. It was a zoo getting into the parking lot. They announced they sold out. The line of cars at the exit to Loon was more than 1/2 mile down 93... Basically, Cannon was one big bump run at the end of day. Ton of fun but exhausting skiing like that on back-to-back days. They opened everything including DJs - which IMO is nuts. After two days of skiing this stuff, I'm whipped. 

• Like 3