• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Saturday, July 29, 2023 Thunderstorms

weatherwiz

Gotta say that the pattern this month has been for the stuff to get through all the way to the coast more than usual, or at least compared to the last few years. Usually the stuff that comes in from the west and northwest dies when it hits eastern RI, but we have had come straight through, even in a weakened state. Nothing severe with this one here but lots of lightning and heavy rain

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

“Easton MA has numerous trees down including on Prospect St, Washington ST, School St,Poquanticut Avenue, Heath Road, Beaver Dam Road #mawx @jimcantore”

Those are pretty different areas. Some of those streets are over by bay rd near target. Some are further south towards Norton. Some are towards my sister in laws house over near Stonehill. 

Awesome day. 

I came back home after the original storm mid-afternoon and didn’t plan to head back out. At around 6:15 or so I saw the discrete cell on RadarScope just to my north. I originally didn’t think much of it until it started to strengthen a bit. Nothing stood out on radar, but what was notable was while there was no lightning on the app, I had frequent thunder. 

T1pXKVq.jpg

MAH6OJN.jpg

I look outside my north facing window around 6:20 and there’s a clear darkening and updraft. Nothing special, but the updraft gets my attention and I go outside to do a time lapse. I could see rotation happening in real time as the storm crosses over the hill.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952cjssgdxqdzlp3b8xtb

After a few minutes, I get in my car and go to the top of the hill to look ENE. Rotation is still clear but messy, and I am a bit obstructed by trees.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952vx467js3457597fvc6

When I reposition on the hill to look more due east, it looked legit. The photos suck but I could see very clear definition of the storm aloft. 

8OVPq5L.jpg

ZLioTMr.jpg

vimprji.jpg

Right after that I lost visual of the storm I headed to my spot to capture the line to the west roll through.

The line did not disappoint.

tIVTYrP.jpg

6AkFiU6.jpg

hNZJYDj.jpg

80WWZEs.jpg

Great day here. Finished with 1.28” on the day with 12.80” now for the month.

Banner month for me personally between the Midwest chase and some good storms and 2 FF events here. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1