• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Summer 2023

Wow! I redid this trend for Harrisburg, PA, and snowfall has plummeted at a rate of 20" per century since 1950 for Harrisburg. That is wild.
image.png.911c499b20c50afb0a2df0d473b018d3.png
How in gods name is that trend line beginning calculated. Just look at the 50's vs 60's there. Linear regression does not work with this data. You need multiple exponential or more realistically a complex statistically regression outside my knowledge base. But the data does not line up with the regression line

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

What in gods name was the point of that guys post when he won't actually engage or answer questions.

I wholeheartedly support extremist on both sides of this be placed on a space ship together and shot out into the solar system where they can engage in what they love most and leave the actual problem solving to capable people not on ship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jns2183 said:

How in gods name is that trend line beginning calculated. Just look at the 50's vs 60's there. Linear regression does not work with this data. You need multiple exponential or more realistically a complex statistically regression outside my knowledge base. But the data does not line up with the regression line

You don't need the line to see that it's been getting less snowy over the past 70 years. We've been getting more monster snowstorms since the 2000's but overall winters are less snowy.

14 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

What in gods name was the point of that guys post when he won't actually engage or answer questions.

I wholeheartedly support extremist on both sides of this be placed on a space ship together and shot out into the solar system where they can engage in what they love most and leave the actual problem solving to capable people not on ship.

I am working, so I didn't have time to respond. 

1) I did not intend to cherrypick a date. I ran the analysis after seeing well-known Alaskan climatologist Brian Brettschneider's map earlier today on Twitter. I wasn't even aware there was a negative trend in snowfall.

2) Brian's map ran from 1973 - a period of 50 years. I selected 1950 to integrate more data, and specifically chose that date because (1) that's around the time most observations moved to airports from city centers; and (2) observations prior to that timeframe include a lot of missing data and generally seem less reliable to me. I did not realize the 1960s were an unusually snowy period in eastern Pennsylvania. It was one of the least snowy decades at Pittsburgh.

3) Yes, the linear trend line is not a good fit. But that is, indeed, the best fit linear trend line calculated by Excel for each of those datasets. The r-squared value is very low, because the data is so noisy. You are not going to generate a strong fit with such noisy data. 

I am working, so I didn't have time to respond. 
1) I did not intend to cherrypick a date. I ran the analysis after seeing well-known Alaskan climatologist Brian Brettschneider's map earlier today on Twitter. I wasn't even aware there was a negative trend in snowfall.
2) Brian's map ran from 1973 - a period of 50 years. I selected 1950 to integrate more data, and specifically chose that date because (1) that's around the time most observations moved to airports from city centers; and (2) observations prior to that timeframe include a lot of missing data and generally seem less reliable to me. I did not realize the 1960s were an unusually snowy period in eastern Pennsylvania. It was one of the least snowy decades at Pittsburgh.
3) Yes, the linear trend line is not a good fit. But that is, indeed, the best fit linear trend line calculated by Excel for each of those datasets. The r-squared value is very low, because the data is so noisy. You are not going to generate a strong fit with such noisy data. 
Thank you so much for responding. I was hoping to having a good conversation. I go on vacation Sunday. I'll have time to dig around all the analysis I did around this info and hopefully you have some insights.

You don't need the line to see that it's been getting less snowy over the past 70 years. We've been getting more monster snowstorms since the 2000's but overall winters are less snowy.
Oh God knows I know that. I'm just trying to figure out what percentage is do to longer cycles we may have no idea about, what part do to overall changing climate and how those two interact. Hubris in all directions is mankind's greatest enemy

Looks like our monsoon will finally get started out here this weekend, particularly Sunday. Now is when the weather gets interesting in the desert, but it's harder to figure out if you're going to get slammed or not, as the monsoons most often pulse and form along outflow boundaries.

Although when we get a good valley-wide meso, it's an awesome show of some of the most intense lightning, wind, and rainfall you'll ever see. One of the best I saw was when I lived in Avondale, along I-10 in the west valley. One dropped down from the north, and one came up from the southwest, and merged right over the area, and created one of the best natural "fireworks shows" I'd ever seen.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Voyager said:

Looks like our monsoon will finally get started out here this weekend, particularly Sunday. Now is when the weather gets interesting in the desert, but it's harder to figure out if you're going to get slammed or not, as the monsoons most often pulse and form along outflow boundaries.

Although when we get a good valley-wide meso, it's an awesome show of some of the most intense lightning, wind, and rainfall you'll ever see. One of the best I saw was when I lived in Avondale, along I-10 in the west valley. One dropped down from the north, and one came up from the southwest, and merged right over the area, and created one of the best natural "fireworks shows" I'd ever seen.

Canderson is attending a concert out there next weekend so hopefully it dodges his area. 

• Haha 1

Some valley locations like Marsh Creek bottomed out at 59.8 this AM only 62.9 here in East Nantmeal. Today will be our 6th straight below normal temperature day. This cool streak looks to continue until Tuesday. By mid week we will see a big warmup with a great chance that even East Nantmeal and the ridge locations in the county may see their 1st 90 degree day in over 2 years! Friday looks like it may be the peak heat day. So enjoy the great weather this weekend!

image.png.b4a463753c133a8c564956403aef730b.png