joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2023 General Discussion

Spartman

16 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Found this.... prob explains it.

Here's why you smell plastic from a forest fire:

"Wood fires emit a ton of volitile organic compounds (voc)

Most of these VOCs are noticeable to our noses as the familiar "campfire" smell, but they breakdown quickly when exposed to UV radiation from sunlight.  Other VOCs like benzene, formaldehyde and acrolein are released and they outlast the "campfire" VOCs.

It's these chemical compounds that you're smelling as the smoke wafts around for a few days then settles to the ground and reaches your nose.

Thus the plastic chemical smell."

Check out NBC, the TV is telling us it’s from storms 

24 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Found this.... prob explains it.

Here's why you smell plastic from a forest fire:

"Wood fires emit a ton of volitile organic compounds (voc)

Most of these VOCs are noticeable to our noses as the familiar "campfire" smell, but they breakdown quickly when exposed to UV radiation from sunlight.  Other VOCs like benzene, formaldehyde and acrolein are released and they outlast the "campfire" VOCs.

It's these chemical compounds that you're smelling as the smoke wafts around for a few days then settles to the ground and reaches your nose.

Thus the plastic chemical smell."

Well dang it, I want the campfire smell if I gotta deal with this.

27 minutes ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

For fear of sounding like a broken record, strong smoke smell and haze here today. Welcome to the new normal I guess. 

Locally, the smoke isn't near as bad today as the past couple days.  I can see haze in the sky but at the surface I don't smell anything.  The E UP, however, looks horrible currently.

Just now, weatherbo said:

Locally, the smoke isn't near as bad today as the past couple days.  I can see haze in the sky but at the surface I don't smell anything.  The E UP, however, looks horrible currently.

Live cam of Sault St Marie was looking really rough a few hours ago

On 6/23/2023 at 4:55 PM, TheClimateChanger said:

Looking at this animation of aerosol optical depth, it looks like some of this might end up getting caught in the circulation of the low pressure system moving through and ultimately advect southwestward over Wisconsin and Ilinois by Tuesday. Obviously a long way out, but perhaps something to watch out for next week. Also, it's not clear how dense the concentrations of smoke will be as a lot of it will get pushed eastward out to sea before the low starts to take shape.

https://twitter.com/m_parrington/status/1672232383842492419?s=20

As I projected on Friday, one of the most impactful intrusions of wildfire smoke is ongoing over the Midwest and Great Lakes, with visibilities locally reduced to less than one mile, and widespread unhealthy (or worse) air quality.

image.thumb.png.603b913b4e4c24f712dba0e74ab7113a.png

At the same time, higher altitude smoke from the Canadian firestorms has crossed the Atlantic and is blocking out the sun over Portugal.

3 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

As I projected on Friday, one of the most impactful intrusions of wildfire smoke is ongoing over the Midwest and Great Lakes, with visibilities locally reduced to less than one mile, and widespread unhealthy (or worse) air quality.

image.thumb.png.603b913b4e4c24f712dba0e74ab7113a.png

At the same time, higher altitude smoke from the Canadian firestorms has crossed the Atlantic and is blocking out the sun over Portugal.

Meanwhile, "unbelievably blue" skies were reported over Boalsburg, Pennsylvania on Sunday, but did not receive any media coverage, much to the chagrin of one well-known meteorologist.

42 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Not to go OT but It's been 8 years since I've had a television and a provider.  It was the best decision I ever made.

Awesome.  I am now just over 10 years without!!  Absolutely agree it is one of the best decisions my family has made.  I came back to the forums as the kids are now college age and sadly we have less family fun times.

I'm off today but according to my coworker, we had to essentially beg the IL EPA to put out an AQA today. They hand out AQAs like candy on 90 degree days for ozone potentially impactful to sensitive groups, but then crickets most of this morning for the worst air quality in years (decades?) here.

And then they put in a dig at us in the 2nd paragraph of the AQA, basically implying that they didn't think they needed to put out a AQA because the air quality is obviously bad and the AQI is available at airnow.gov. Good stuff. 1fe1bb2208c1561ee9561a327eff17e4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

I'm off today but according to my coworker, we had to essentially beg the IL EPA to put out an AQA today. They hand out AQAs like candy on 90 degree days for ozone potentially impactful to sensitive groups, but then crickets most of this morning for the worst air quality in years (decades?) here.

And then they put in a dig at us in the 2nd paragraph of the AQA, basically implying that they didn't think they needed to put out a AQA because the air quality is obviously bad and the AQI is available at airnow.gov. Good stuff. 1fe1bb2208c1561ee9561a327eff17e4.jpg

That’s bullshit should not have to beg when it comes to civilian health

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

I was wondering what was going on, Chicago was under Air Quality Alerts all last week and the AQI ended up I think staying below 100 each day. Then today nothing! (Until now)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Was wondering what was up this morning with no headline, thanks for the inside baseball 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Meanwhile, "unbelievably blue" skies were reported over Boalsburg, Pennsylvania on Sunday, but did not receive any media coverage, much to the chagrin of one well-known meteorologist.

Ah, yes, breaking news: the sky is blue.

• Haha 1

Confirmed that the only reason we got an AQA is that the WCMs from LOT, ILX, and DVN pleaded for one.

My take from the mess today is that only if you're in a sensitive group do you deserve an AQA according to the IL EPA. For everyone else, take some responsibility, go to airnow.gov, and step outside to judge for yourself if the air quality is hazardous.

It would be like the NWS never issuing headlines for hazardous weather because people should be able to figure out it's unsafe.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Confirmed that the only reason we got an AQA is that the WCMs from LOT, ILX, and DVN pleaded for one.

My take from the mess today is that only if you're in a sensitive group do you deserve an AQA according to the IL EPA. For everyone else, take some responsibility, go to airnow.gov, and step outside to judge for yourself if the air quality is hazardous.

It would be like the NWS never issuing headlines for hazardous weather because people should be able to figure out it's unsafe.

Shit like this makes me think the Air Quality Alert issuance decision should be given to the NWS and taken away from the state idiots. 

• Like 1