Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June Banter 2023

George BM

29 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Our meet finished so f'ing late last night. Kids at the bus stop were miserable this morning :lol:

We host a B Meet this coming Monday, and while we need the rain I really hope it holds off. Kids love those meets, as does the team because B Meet concessions make a HUGE difference for us!

One, just ONE clap of thunder held us up for 30 min.  No rain.  We didn't finish until 9:15ish.  And thank god the other team was small.  Otherwise i think I'd still be at the pool timing.  My voice is so shot.  But we had 3 food trucks in the parking lot and man did they do business during the delay.  

Fun really begins Saturday with the first A meet.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Our meet finished so f'ing late last night. Kids at the bus stop were miserable this morning :lol:

We host a B Meet this coming Monday, and while we need the rain I really hope it holds off. Kids love those meets, as does the team because B Meet concessions make a HUGE difference for us!

Same here.  9:05pm finish (and then a 15 minute drive home . . . which is par for the course; we are a good distance from any other pool).  Long evening for those of us who needed to stay until the end.

At least it's the last week of school!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, H2O said:

One, just ONE clap of thunder held us up for 30 min.  No rain.  We didn't finish until 9:15ish.  And thank god the other team was small.  Otherwise i think I'd still be at the pool timing.  My voice is so shot.  But we had 3 food trucks in the parking lot and man did they do business during the delay.  

Fun really begins Saturday with the first A meet.

2 hours ago, hstorm said:

Same here.  9:05pm finish (and then a 15 minute drive home . . . which is par for the course; we are a good distance from any other pool).  Long evening for those of us who needed to stay until the end.

At least it's the last week of school!

Team size is all relative, but last night's other team is bigger than ours, though probably on the smaller size of the NVSL spectrum in general. And even with that, after the 30-minute thunder delay, we didn't get done until about 9:35 :lol:.

It was a bit of a sh*tshow, to be honest. Their swim club's footprint is tiny, so it's absolute chaos on the deck; they also had a first-time referee who, while a very nice guy, didn't do a great job of setting the tone for moving things along. Also, from what I could tell, there were a number of times when kids from the other team were supposed to be there to start, but they weren't there so the officials waited for the kids to be found.

Luckily, they're five minutes away, so it wasn't a long drive home, but still lots and lots of tired faces today!

I can't wait to get through this last week of afternoon practices and to the first A Meet and morning practices after!

18 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Team size is all relative, but last night's other team is bigger than ours, though probably on the smaller size of the NVSL spectrum in general. And even with that, after the 30-minute thunder delay, we didn't get done until about 9:35 :lol:.

It was a bit of a sh*tshow, to be honest. Their swim club's footprint is tiny, so it's absolute chaos on the deck; they also had a first-time referee who, while a very nice guy, didn't do a great job of setting the tone for moving things along. Also, from what I could tell, there were a number of times when kids from the other team were supposed to be there to start, but they weren't there so the officials waited for the kids to be found.

Luckily, they're five minutes away, so it wasn't a long drive home, but still lots and lots of tired faces today!

I can't wait to get through this last week of afternoon practices and to the first A Meet and morning practices after!

You highlight two very critical must-have volunteers for efficient meets -- a knowledgeable/organized referee (newbies and experienced alike) who can keep the proceedings moving along at a steady pace, and a kickass clerk-of-course (preferably with runners/assistants!) who's not afraid to accost the coaches to get their swimmers to the staging area ON TIME, or chase down the swimmers themselves.

As a former S&T judge, for about 15 years, I was always fortunate to work with awesome refs, starters and CoCs at our pool. Always encountered at least one "peacock referee" during a given season at an opponent's pool, but that's par for course. I've mentioned it before, but one of my favorite teams to compete with was @H2O's neighborhood pool, with whom we hold B meets each summer...his pool has some of the easiest and friendliest officials and families I've encountered in all of those NVSL years, with experienced officials, a comfy/spacious pool and surrounding grounds, and ALWAYS a great concession stand.  :) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vastateofmind said:

You highlight two very critical must-have volunteers for efficient meets -- a knowledgeable/organized referee (newbies and experienced alike) who can keep the proceedings moving along at a steady pace, and a kickass clerk-of-course (preferably with runners/assistants!) who's not afraid to accost the coaches to get their swimmers to the staging area ON TIME, or chase down the swimmers themselves.

As a former S&T judge, for about 15 years, I was always fortunate to work with awesome refs, starters and CoCs at our pool. Always encountered at least one "peacock referee" during a given season at an opponent's pool, but that's par for course. I've mentioned it before, but one of my favorite teams to compete with was @H2O's neighborhood pool, with whom we hold B meets each summer...his pool has some of the easiest and friendliest officials and families I've encountered in all of those NVSL years, with experienced officials, a comfy/spacious pool and surrounding grounds, and ALWAYS a great concession stand.  :) 

For sure. If there's one thing I've become more appreciative of, it's how the referee sets the tone for how the meet will run and how the clerk of course keeps sh*t moving. First B Meet makes sense for a new ref to work, but I think he was a little overwhelmed. Hopefully he comes along and gets more comfortable as the season progresses.

We're lucky to have a fantastic CoC who worked last night (at home meets, she's a monster!), but with the chaos on the deck and the other team's coaches/reps not really doing anything about it, there was only so much they could do. I honestly have no idea why they even had marshals since there was barely a thing they could do to keep the deck clear.

That's high praise for H2O's pool! I hope other teams feel the same about ours!

• Like 1

On 6/7/2023 at 12:41 PM, Mrs.J said:

@MillvilleWx

just saw you post in May Banter. Replied but am letting you know here as it is a new month. Sorry have had a lot going on and am loosing track of the days and time lately. But I can answer any questions about Frederick for you. Have lived here for over 20 years and am a transplant from OH. I live on the SW side south of 70 and West of 270 in the Ballanger Creek area. About 10 min from downtown. 

Thanks so much for reaching out @Mrs.J 

My wife and I will likely be living on the NE side of Frederick near the Wegmans. We are touring for apartments on Thursday when we stop in town for a day. Heading to see TSwift up in Pittsburgh, but flying into BWI. I'll reach out when we are getting close to settling in. Would also like to meet up one day. My wife and I love company! Very excited :)

• Like 2

Just to keep everyone here in the loop, I have officially received my onboarding date of August 4th at the Weather Prediction Center. My wife and I will embark on our journey back east the end of July and land in MD sometime the first week of August. 

I am beyond excited for this and can't wait to be back home and living out my dream position. ^_^

• Like 27

19 hours ago, MillvilleWx said:

Thanks so much for reaching out @Mrs.J 

My wife and I will likely be living on the NE side of Frederick near the Wegmans. We are touring for apartments on Thursday when we stop in town for a day. Heading to see TSwift up in Pittsburgh, but flying into BWI. I'll reach out when we are getting close to settling in. Would also like to meet up one day. My wife and I love company! Very excited :)

Yes we will definitely need to meet up. If you have never been downtown Frederick is so nice and a lot of fun. Great shops and restaurants. It is actually a destination city for our neighbors to the south. Parks are great and we have managed to keep a lot of our farmland. The Frederick Festival for the Arts was just last weekend and that is an annual event down on the Carol Creek Linear Park. And there is always First Saturdays and in December Frosty Fridays. And Thursday wind downs at the Linear park also with live bands. Quite a few distilleries and craft beer establishments also. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mrs.J said:

Yes we will definitely need to meet up. If you have never been downtown Frederick is so nice and a lot of fun. Great shops and restaurants. It is actually a destination city for our neighbors to the south. Parks are great and we have managed to keep a lot of our farmland. The Frederick Festival for the Arts was just last weekend and that is an annual event down on the Carol Creek Linear Park. And there is always First Saturdays and in December Frosty Fridays. And Thursday wind downs at the Linear park also with live bands. Quite a few distilleries and craft beer establishments also. 

Wow! This is amazing to hear. My wife and I love to partake in everything you just mentioned. I never used to be that way because I grew up in a household that didn't really see that stuff as entertaining. Once I branched out, ie. left home, I found them to be so much fun. I have visited Baker Park multiple times for walking and for the 4th of July. I can't wait to do all of that again. Compared to where I am now, I'm not going to know what to do with myself lol. Heck, there's still everything in MoCo, HoCo, DC, and the rest of the state. To say we are both excited is an understatement. I will reach out via PM to give you my phone number. That way it'll be easier to communicate. Thanks so much @Mrs.J  :)

And to everyone else in here, if you ever want to meet up for drinks or food, feel free to reach out. I'm very extroverted and love conversing. This next chapter is going to be a ton of fun for life and career!

• Like 6

On 6/13/2023 at 1:06 PM, vastateofmind said:

*SNIP* and ALWAYS a great concession stand.  :) 

Think this is year 8+ as ‘Grill Master/Chairperson/Whatever I’m Currently Called’ and for the first time, had a burger questioned because it was supposedly underdone. If you want a hockey puck, I can cook a hockey puck…

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Weather down here is becoming very humid. We are having highs in the low mid 90s with DEWPOINTS NEAR 80! Last nights low was 80. Its 92/79 right now with plenty of sun and an apparent temperature of 109!

Might be time for another of my leisurely jebwalks. Its so humid I can pretend I am standing in Miami. I like to binge on CSI: Miami a LOT, lol. Well now I feel like I am there. Monday and Tuesday next week are supposed to be 104, maybe 105.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, snowfan said:

Todays hike in the Rockies resulted in some stellar views.

F8A2592B-B1EF-4038-93AC-78E08D347A0A.jpeg

I wub that snow! What I wouldnt give for just one HOUR of that cool snow, in exchange for Texan highs around 98 with 79 dewpoints and 116 apparent real feel temps! We did get issued an Excessive Heat Warning for part of the afternoon here, lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

Interesting is one word, sure. There are other words I could choose. 

I think it was an easy choice for US Soccer.  He was the best candidate, has had success as coach, and the players (except, perhaps, for Gio Reyna) like him.  If not for the childish effort by Reyna's parents to undermine him, his contract would have been renewed without question.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2023 at 12:38 PM, mattie g said:

Looks like a beautiful day tomorrow for the first A Meet.  Our last evening practice was yesterday.  No practice today because of our annual end-of-school party at the pool.  Always nice to switch to the morning routine.

Only downside tomorrow is that we are away and have a 45-minute drive to the other pool.  We dodged any long trips last year but are paying the price this year -- our other away meet is also a 45-minute drive.  Early mornings . . .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hstorm said:

I think it was an easy choice for US Soccer.  He was the best candidate, has had success as coach, and the players (except, perhaps, for Gio Reyna) like him.  If not for the childish effort by Reyna's parents to undermine him, his contract would have been renewed without question.

Disagree strongly on the second sentence. He’s fucking terrible.

More of the same today, uncharacteristically hazy in south central TX with 99 degrees pure air temp, 77 degree dewpoint to go along with it, and it felt like 115. New Excessive Heat Warning runs for two days, thru Sunday, with apparent temperatures as high as 120.

Today - much cooler with a high  of only 94. Dews ran 77 degrees so we were in the upper one hundred single digits of apparent temps.

But now, in the dark down here, its 89 degrees but with a dewpoint of 81 degrees!!!!!

This means the apparent temperature is 108 degrees.

Time for another jebwalk!!!!!!!

• Like 2

On 6/15/2023 at 10:27 PM, Jebman said:

Today we got up to 98 degrees with 78 degree dewpoints. That is a real feel temp of 116.

Right now, it is dark, 90 degrees, 79 dewpoints and feels like 106.

Its not even Summer yet.

You don't even have a strong 500mb ridge overhead. All the way out near Africa a TC is about to develop. 

• H2O unpinned this topic