Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April Discobs 2023

George BM

59 minutes ago, pazzo83 said:

Dulles is definitely starting to develop some sort of UHI as that area continues to grow.

The freeze warning was def a bit excessive for the more urban locations in and around DC - DCA only got down to 41 which was also my low in Tenleytown.

I think the best explanation for last night's IAD low is that they kept a decent southerly breeze until ~5am.

2 hours ago, hstorm said:

I think the best explanation for last night's IAD low is that they kept a decent southerly breeze until ~5am.

Loudoun's population grew from 86k in 1990 to 427k in 2021, so the area around IAD is certainly far from "rural" anymore.  Not sure about UHI, but certainly much more populous.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, mattskiva said:

Loudoun's population grew from 86k in 1990 to 427k in 2021, so the area around IAD is certainly far from "rural" anymore.  Not sure about UHI, but certainly much more populous.

Certainly.  But IAD went down to 30 on Sunday morning (and was at 30 for ~3 hours) in similar conditions except for the southerly breeze.

4 hours ago, mdhokie said:

spread 8 yards of mulch today, getting a little toasty. Feels like its gonna be a hot summer.

Had 19 cubic yards delivered today and got about halfway done…need to finish up tomorrow morning in the backyard and the side.  Great weather to put it down considering the dry, sunny weather.  I want to beat the ‘heat’ tomorrow afternoon and hopefully finish up in the AM.  

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Had 19 cubic yards delivered today and got about halfway done…need to finish up tomorrow morning in the backyard and the side.  Great weather to put it down considering the dry, sunny weather.  I want to beat the ‘heat’ tomorrow afternoon and hopefully finish up in the AM.  

That’s a heck of a day.  I got 20 last year and spread it out over a week.

Went golfing today and the fairways were very dry.  Great roll, though.  Drove a 295 yard (downhill) hole.  3 putted of course.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, nj2va said:

19 yards!?! I think I have a pretty big yard and most I’ve ever done is 6.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

That’s a heck of a day.  I got 20 last year and spread it out over a week.

Went golfing today and the fairways were very dry.  Great roll, though.  Drove a 295 yard (downhill) hole.  3 putted of course.

I think I was a little ambitious honestly as I’m totally spent now ha. Great drive!

7 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

19 yards!?! I think I have a pretty big yard and most I’ve ever done is 6.

We’re in Alexandria so definitely not a big yard but we’re on a corner and have landscaped areas vs all lawn on all sides. I may have slightly overdone the order too as this is our 2nd year in the house and my first time mulching myself. It looks like it’ll end up about right (maybe 1 or 2 too much).  Mulching is a beast of a chore I’ve learned. 

16 minutes ago, nj2va said:

We’re in Alexandria so definitely not a big yard but we’re on a corner and have landscaped areas vs all lawn on all sides. I may have slightly overdone the order too as this is our 2nd year in the house and my first time mulching myself. It looks like it’ll end up about right (maybe 1 or 2 too much).  Mulching is a beast of a chore I’ve learned. 

Well, yeah, when you have 19 yards!

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, nj2va said:

I think I was a little ambitious honestly as I’m totally spent now ha. Great drive!

I have a lot of mulched areas too, since grass is largely a fail in the woods here. I pick away at it- starting in December after leaf removal. I just finished a couple weeks ago. I like getting most of it done during our 'cold' season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Holy inversion.  My low was 60.8.  I can feel the temperature dramatically changing on the morning dog walk.

973230E4-0DE5-4398-A050-6AE032361B0E.thumb.jpeg.5d4c123e66b0edaf2ddcc1f089c23055.jpeg

Wow. IAD was at 47F. Cold spots are going to experience quite the temperature leap this morning. 

Could potentially be a 40+F spread at IAD today.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic