Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter El Nino Tracking Thread 2023-2024

Ji

9 hours ago, CAPE said:
CPC/NCEP still expecting a moderate to strong Nino for the winter months fwiw. The hyperbolic super Nino talk comes mostly from agenda driven twitter randos, and the forum favorite daily post limited member.

The radical lol Washington post is the biggest culprit

https://x.com/capitalweather/status/1706783085981778187?s=46&t=C005pd5HNg3Y-KhVU7n3VA

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

I had to search for the actual press release.  Despite the hindcast successes, I am skeptical of a climate model for seasonal forecasts.

https://news.ucar.edu/132912/ncar-experimental-prediction-system-calls-super-el-nino-winter

You would think CWG would know better than to post an article like this.

I am heartened to see comments about the "Woke" Wa. Po. and CWG.

I was a well known contributor to CWG 10 years ago. Jason knew me very well by my username "Augusta Jim". We had occasional exchanges..  I even won a CWG sweatshirt by being the only one to identify a pattern by a synoptic map...............................

That's all history as I grew weary of the daily nonsense with AGW  and the afternoon loon with Wa.Po. oversight. Steve Scolnick and I used to lock horns nearly every afternoon.  What a thrill!

• Like 4
  • Weenie 5

5 hours ago, stormy said:

I am heartened to see comments about the "Woke" Wa. Po. and CWG.

I was a well known contributor to CWG 10 years ago. Jason knew me very well by my username "Augusta Jim". We had occasional exchanges..  I even won a CWG sweatshirt by being the only one to identify a pattern by a synoptic map...............................

That's all history as I grew weary of the daily nonsense with AGW  and the afternoon loon with Wa.Po. oversight. Steve Scolnick and I used to lock horns nearly every afternoon.  What a thrill!

lol keep this shit in Augusta County - it isn't needed or wanted here.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 2

CPC/NCEP still expecting a moderate to strong Nino for the winter months fwiw. The hyperbolic super Nino talk comes mostly from agenda driven twitter randos, and the forum favorite daily post limited member.

Lol you started all this. I was just giving you proof
  • Weenie 3

5 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Need someone to talk me off the cliff of this being a raging east based El Nino with sustained -PDO this winter. 

nmme_sstaMean_nmme_month_global_1.png

nmme_sstaMean_nmme_month_global_4.png

cansips_sstaMean_noice_month_global_2.png

cansips_sstaMean_noice_month_global_5.png

Predicted SST anomalies weaken some in the east/expand westward- takes on a more basin wide look further into winter. Just a couple seasonal models ofc. Need to see what the updated runs look like. PDO is what it is, but there are hints it may be less negative going forward.

• Like 3

Just now, CAPE said:

nmme_sstaMean_nmme_month_global_1.png

nmme_sstaMean_nmme_month_global_4.png

cansips_sstaMean_noice_month_global_2.png

cansips_sstaMean_noice_month_global_5.png

Predicted SST anomalies weaken some in the east/expand westward- takes on a more basin wide look further into winter. Just a couple seasonal models ofc. Need to see what the updated runs look like. PDO is what it is, but there are hints it may be less negative going forward.

the PDO and PNA aren't always a perfect match... easier to get a -PDO/-PNA in a Nina and easier to get a +PDO/+PNA in a Nino, but there are deviations

also, given how west-leaning the forcing has been so far, and considering we've seen significant cooling in Nino 1+2, the transition to a more basin-wide event has been occurring and should continue. the super east-based stuff doesn't really correspond to what we'll see this winter

• Like 3

I don't even think this will get to super in terms of ONI... the Nino has stagnated over the last couple of days. the MEI continues to lag far behind in weak territory, which is a better representation of how the Nino is actually influencing the atmosphere. I don't anticipate canonical super Nino impacts even if we do get the three trimonthly ONIs of 2.0C

ssta_graph_nino34.png

• Like 1

Just now, brooklynwx99 said:

I don't even think this will get to super in terms of ONI... the Nino has stagnated over the last couple of days. the MEI continues to lag far behind in weak territory, which is a better representation of how the Nino is actually influencing the atmosphere. I don't anticipate canonical super Nino impacts even if we do get the three trimonthly ONIs of 2.0C

Moderate to maybe low end strong seems most likely at this juncture based on the current metrics/historical analogs

• Like 1

• WxUSAF changed the title to Winter El Nino Tracking Thread 2023-2024