Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 7th Clipper Disco/Obs

Rjay

11 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I missed that second one....or maybe it missed me lol.  I stayed awake from 5 am to 6 am and fell asleep again after that and finally woke up for good at 8 am.  Did that second one accumulate?

It was a tough one to measure because what had fallen by 4:30 had already mostly melted by 5 am, even with 32 degree temps....which are air temps....the ground was warmer than that!

I’m honestly not sure, I went back to sleep right after the first batch ended, so I missed the second one. It never actually made it below freezing here either, but there was still a little bit of snow on the ground at 8:30 so I’m assuming it had to accumulate because i doubt the original half inch would’ve survived in the sunlight until then.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Intensewind002 said:

I’m honestly not sure, I went back to sleep right after the first batch ended, so I missed the second one. It never actually made it below freezing here either, but there was still a little bit of snow on the ground at 8:30 so I’m assuming it had to accumulate because i doubt the original half inch would’ve survived in the sunlight until then.

I wonder how long it snowed for in that second batch?  30 minutes?

Good morning all. The NWS, CPK observation did show 4 out of 6 hours of light snow between 00:51 and 06:51. For a .06 total. I observed no evidence of accumulation around my inner city area. However on returning from a power walk I did see a promise of the evolving season. Stay well, as always …..

27259698-5B65-4FB5-AEF1-0EE05DF4D25D.png

21E251C4-7ECF-4CAA-BBE3-3AC512E05B84.jpeg

17DCB405-F935-478F-B103-F0696A9AD16F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, rclab said:

Good morning all. The NWS, CPK observation did show 4 out of 6 hours of light snow between 00:51 and 06:51. For a .06 total. I observed no evidence of accumulation around my inner city area. However on returning from a power walk I did see a promise of the evolving season. Stay well, as always …..

27259698-5B65-4FB5-AEF1-0EE05DF4D25D.png

21E251C4-7ECF-4CAA-BBE3-3AC512E05B84.jpeg

17DCB405-F935-478F-B103-F0696A9AD16F.jpeg

Are those purple crocuses I see?!  I love them

2 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

For a storm like this, you'd have to measure it in the middle of the storm or right before it ended.  So probably around 4 am.....

That's what I do in every storm and would do if I lived near CPK - I did this even when I was working 60+ hours a week for 31 years, lol - it is a little easier being retired...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wannabehippie said:

I don't think I saw a flake, or an ice pellet by me. Ground was wet, but no signs of snow anywhere, even in shaded grassy areas.

We had accumulations on cold surfaces. There was roughly half an inch on the roof of the subway station this morning when I went in to work. 

• Like 1

Snowfall totals from this morning. Did pretty well with the forecast overall but missed that far western area that ended up in the 2-4 range with one 4.5" report. I tried to include the reports i found here but its hard to fit a lot of those numbers in such a small area. If there was an official ob from an airport i most likely used that. 

03_07.23_jdj_tri_state_snowfall_totals.thumb.jpg.064aecbf0a0a00f0903d3cac6a758f97.jpg03_06.23_jdj_tri_state_snowfall_forecast.thumb.jpg.3d0448cf27ff660d8cf8f171495188ce.jpg

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Snowfall totals from this morning. Did pretty well with the forecast overall but missed that far western area that ended up in the 2-4 range with one 4.5" report. I tried to include the reports i found here but its hard to fit a lot of those numbers in such a small area. If there was an official ob from an airport i most likely used that. 

03_07.23_jdj_tri_state_snowfall_totals.thumb.jpg.064aecbf0a0a00f0903d3cac6a758f97.jpg03_06.23_jdj_tri_state_snowfall_forecast.thumb.jpg.3d0448cf27ff660d8cf8f171495188ce.jpg

Not sure if you want to add the 1-2” color anywhere on Long Island but there was just over an inch here (I would say 1.1-1.2”) and @STORMANLI had 1.2” two towns east of me in Commack. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Amazing, yet so expected.

I forget who said yesterday they predicted 0.6 inches for the park but couldn’t predict whether they would measure it or not.

Why do they even bother. Just have someone from one of the buildings surrounding the park eyeball a guesstimate from their apartment and just go with that. It certainly couldn’t be any less accurate. Maybe there would even be an over measured event now and then. 

They miss snow sometimes, but there really was basically nothing this time. 0.1" might be generous tbh. Maybe a slushy coating on a few car tops, but snow sticks to cars even easier than grassy surfaces, I don't think of cars as a valid measurement. Even if you did it would just be a tenth or so.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The 4 Seasons said:

My Beaufort Scale for Snowfall Coatings worked, my 0.3" estimate for JFK was right on target!

LGA only got a T?

12 hours ago, dWave said:

They miss snow sometimes, but there really was basically nothing this time. 0.1" might be generous tbh. Maybe a slushy coating on a few car tops, but snow sticks to cars even easier than grassy surfaces, I don't think of cars as a valid measurement. Even if you did it would just be a tenth or so.

Looks like JFK 0.3" was right on target.... did LGA really only get a T?

15 hours ago, jm1220 said:

Not sure if you want to add the 1-2” color anywhere on Long Island but there was just over an inch here (I would say 1.1-1.2”) and @STORMANLI had 1.2” two towns east of me in Commack. 

Just for you. The two additional totals you gave me.

I corrected the colors to what they should be. I use the light yellow for low end warning amounts, dark blue for advisory amounts, light blue for sub advisory and white usually for 0 or less than 1. Similar to what the NWS uses. The only reason i changed that this time is because i wanted to differentiate between the large area that was going to get zero and the areas with a coating-1 and 1-2, so i needed 3 colors for that. Then for the verification i wanted to keep the same colors so it was easy to look and match up the zones. But for recorded keeping purposes i reverted it back to the original colors, what i normally would use. 

03_07.23_jdj_tri_state_snowfall_totals_correct.thumb.jpg.4b514e52d04dcd656d32e20a23d0d0bc.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Just for you. The two additional totals you gave me.

I corrected the colors to what they should be. I use the light yellow for low end warning amounts, dark blue for advisory amounts, light blue for sub advisory and white usually for 0 or less than 1. Similar to what the NWS uses. The only reason i changed that this time is because i wanted to differentiate between the large area that was going to get zero and the areas with a coating-1 and 1-2, so i needed 3 colors for that. Then for the verification i wanted to keep the same colors so it was easy to look and match up the zones. But for recorded keeping purposes i reverted it back to the original colors, what i normally would use. 

03_07.23_jdj_tri_state_snowfall_totals_correct.thumb.jpg.4b514e52d04dcd656d32e20a23d0d0bc.jpg

Nice work....I wanted to make sure I got these numbers right

1.0"  Brooklyn (is that near Coney Island)?

0.2" Queens (is that near Jamaica?)

T LGA

0.3" JFK

0.8" Bronx

0.9" Staten Island

0.2"  EWR

0.1"  NYC

So basically out of the four "official" New York City area observing sites, JFK had the most with 0.3"?

7 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Nice work....I wanted to make sure I got these numbers right

1.0"  Brooklyn (is that near Coney Island)?

0.2" Queens (is that near Jamaica?)

T LGA

0.3" JFK

0.8" Bronx

0.9" Staten Island

0.2"  EWR

0.1"  NYC

So basically out of the four "official" New York City area observing sites, JFK had the most with 0.3"?

Those climate sites look right, and ISP with 0.4. The others i pulled from Cocorahs or the NWS 72-hour snowfall map

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Those climate sites look right, and ISP with 0.4. The others i pulled from Cocorahs or the NWS 72-hour snowfall map

Thanks, I was getting crap yesterday for saying that 0.3" was probably the most the city got, people need to understand late season marginal event dynamics, especially in an urban environment.

7 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Thanks, I was getting crap yesterday for saying that 0.3" was probably the most the city got, people need to understand late season marginal event dynamics, especially in an urban environment.

Thats why i wrapped that 1-2 around the city/coast and did not include them. Decaying system and a very marginal BL with temps starting out in the 40s plus urban heat island...a lot of the snow maps had advisory level snowfall in the 2-4 range right through the city

• Thanks 1