Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 7th Clipper Disco/Obs

Rjay

4 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Bleh it wasn't much more than that here.  0.3  It didn't start snowing here until after 2 am more like 2:20

Must have been white rain for most of it since I’m sure I had less precip but ended up with 1.1-1.2”. The radar looked pretty juiced headed for the south shore but it probably all came down at 33-34 degrees. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Must have been white rain for most of it since I’m sure I had less precip but ended up with 1.1-1.2”. The radar looked pretty juiced headed for the south shore but it probably all came down at 33-34 degrees. 

it actually came down really hard between like 2:30 am and 5 am but wasn't accumulating on anything but roof tops and car tops.  I also heard the sound of sleet pinging for the first hour or so along with snow (between 2 am and 3 am).  It finally got down to 32 at 5 am but the snow was slowing down by then.

17 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

They said 0.1 on Twitter for the park 

Amazing, yet so expected.

I forget who said yesterday they predicted 0.6 inches for the park but couldn’t predict whether they would measure it or not.

Why do they even bother. Just have someone from one of the buildings surrounding the park eyeball a guesstimate from their apartment and just go with that. It certainly couldn’t be any less accurate. Maybe there would even be an over measured event now and then. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, winterwx21 said:

1.5" here on colder surfaces. Extremely heavy snow 2:30 in the morning -- HUGE flakes. It didn't stick to pavement, but yeah a beautiful postcard scene this morning with the trees and bushes coated with the wet snow. Nice little event. 

didn't even coat the trees or bushes here or even the grass, just roof tops and car tops.

10 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Amazing, yet so expected.

I forget who said yesterday they predicted 0.6 inches for the park but couldn’t predict whether they would measure it or not.

Why do they even bother. Just have someone from one of the buildings surrounding the park eyeball a guesstimate from their apartment and just go with that. It certainly couldn’t be any less accurate. Maybe there would even be an over measured event now and then. 

honestly, with temps in the 50s and me with my fans running yesterday, there was no chance of getting much accumulation in the city.

I did actually turn my heat off yesterday and had the fans running, it was warm.  0.3" here and that's probably what Manhattan had also, so a little undermeasured, but not  a huge deal.

I live for the big events, these little paltry events don't mean anything.

5 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Glad we don’t live there 

We do better than you guys do in strong el ninos.  And you're all in the same snowhole dude.

The number at Central Park was a little underdone but not by much, looking at the other Nassau County numbers 0.3" was a good number.  That 0.1" should probably have been 0.3" too.

A one inch snowfall is meaningless to me, I'd rather have a foot plus or nothing at all.

2 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

honestly, with temps in the 50s and me with my fans running yesterday, there was no chance of getting much accumulation in the city.

I did actually turn my heat off yesterday and had the fans running, it was warm.

But they don't measure on the sidewalks or street, no city does. They are suppose to measure in the Park where there was an accumulation this morning on cold surfaces and it was more than 0.1 inches.

It's always the same story, it gets old, but I'll never stop complaining about it. It's sloppy record keeping and data, but they've been okay with it for so long it's never going to change.

When they had the Conservatory take measurements several years ago, measurements were much more accurate for the 3-4 years that went on. I wonder why they ended that? Maybe they have no tolerance for accurate snow data.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

But they don't measure on the sidewalks or street, no city does. They are suppose to measure in the Park where there was an accumulation this morning on cold surfaces and it was more than 0.1 inches.

It's always the same story, it gets old, but I'll never stop complaining about it. It's sloppy record keeping and data, but they've been okay with it for so long it's never going to change.

When they had the Conservatory take measurements several years ago, measurements were much more accurate for the 3-4 years that went on. I wonder why they ended that? Maybe they have no tolerance for accurate snow data.

I've got grass and bushes and trees here too and it wasn't accumulating on them either, it was only accumulating on cartops and rooftops lol.

They do undermeasure and annoyingly so, in this case that 0.1" should have been more like 0.3"

It's the big events that they undermeasure that I find to be the most annoying.

I posted this in the upstate thread because of what GravityLover said:

Presenting my all new Beaufort Scale of Snowfall Coatings!

He's right though, these are little insignificant events.  I'd rather get zero snow or a foot plus, not these piddly little half inch or inch or even 2 inch numbers.  

Saw enough of these in the 80s to last me my whole life.

Now I just rank them in terms of coatings.  Last night's was less than February's 28ths coating and less than late December's coating, but more than January's coating.  So it's going down as 0.3"

I've developed a Beaufort scale for coatings now, in terms of where the snow accumulates and what I can still see through the coating lol.

car tops and roof tops = quarter of an inch

accumulates on grass, trees and bushes but you can still see the grass poking through = half an inch

unpaved surfaces are solidly covered but nothing on the streets, sidewalks or driveways = 1-1.5 inch

roads covered.... 2 inches plus....now I start to measure.

This one is going down as 0.3 inch based on the above scale.

5 hours ago, RU848789 said:

As of 4:15 am, the snow has essentially stopped and the radar looks like it's about done, so my final measurement is 1.6" of snow for the storm. It's beautiful outside right now, as it's a very pretty snow, sticking to everything, especially with light winds. Great snowball snow.

My guess is with temps around 33F here and not full coverage of paved surfaces, the roads will likely be fine by 6-7 am with the snow having stopped; areas well NW that are under 32F might have more issues.

Up to 3.85" on the season and wondering if Central Park will get the 0.7" they need to get to 2.9" to surpass 72-73's record of snow futility (2.8") - they should, based on radar history and reports I've seen, but they're notorious for undermeasuring snowfall.

Got another 0.2" in that ~6 am band that went through here - just woke up about 30 min ago and had wiped the board earlier, so my total is now 1.8" for the event, bringing the season total up to 4.05". Someone else in Metuchen reported 2.0", so 1.8" seems about right. Looking at the radar loop, we got quite lucky in northern Middlesex, as we stayed in the heaviest bands for most of the event, while folks just 5-10 miles south to us did not. Plenty of reports of 2-3" in Somerset/Morris/Warren...

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

I'd say it was probably 0.3 inches....I can tell you what happened because it happened here too.

I woke up at 2 am saw that it had just started snowing....got heavier around 2:20.  I stayed up until 3:15 or so and it was still snowing fairly hard and I saw a solid coating on rooftops and cartops but nowhere else.  I saw the radar, okay it's going to snow for at least 2 more hours let me take a nap and wake up to measure it at 5 am.  I woke up at 5 am and the snow was already ending and at least half of what fell had already disappeared......  That 0.3" is an estimate of mine of what the maximum accumulation probably was because when I woke up at 5 am it was mostly gone.

15 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

One of the worst offenders was the winter of 09-10....remember the numbers that came in that winter for snowfall data at Central Park?  All the numbers were rounded to the nearest inch or half inch....10.0, 8.0, 10.5, it was obvious to see they were estimates, and estimates of big snowstorms are the worst.  They didn't just undermeasure, they didn't measure at all, they estimated.  Which I'm okay with if it's an under 1 " coating, but not for those big events.  Those storms were actually more like 12 inches, 15 inches, etc.

The one storm they did measure right was at the end of February, 20.9", at least they got that one right.....the other ones that season were both undermeasured and estimated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/February_25–27,_2010_North_American_blizzard#:~:text=In New York City%2C 20.9,dangerous conditions on the streets.

In New York City, 20.9 inches (53 cm) fell in Central Park, mixed with slushy accumulation due to above-freezing temperatures during the day. Falling tree branches due to the heavy wet snow and strong winds resulted in one casualty (Elmaz Qyra) in Central Park[20] and created dangerous conditions on the streets. The New York City Sanitation Department deployed 1600 snow plow and 365 salt spraying trucks to keep traffic flowing smoothly on the highways and city streets of the five boroughs. New York City experienced its 5th largest snowstorm on record, 4th at the time.[21] This, combined with a winter storm earlier in the month resulted in February 2010 becoming the snowiest month on record in New York City.[22]

Several private schools and institutions cancelled classes on Friday, February 26, due to the storm. City mayor Michael Bloomberg originally decided to keep the public schools running on Friday, but acquiesced later when the weather condition worsened overnight.[23]

New York City area's three major airports canceled more than 1,000 flights. About 3,000 usually leave the airports daily.[24] New Jersey Transit canceled buses into New York City. Rail service in New Jersey and Long Island was suspended or delayed.[24]

On February 27, ice from an upper floor of the Sony Building crashed through the building's atrium glass ceiling, injuring at least 15 people attending a Purim party.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Does anyone from any weather board or elsewhere (Twitter?) who lives in Manhattan ever just walk into the park and measure the snow.  If I lived nearby, I'd do that all the time, as it's a nice walk in the snow, and I'd then actually "know" how much snow fell in CPK.  

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, MANDA said:

NNJ snow totals off CoCoRaHS.

Some 4" totals just north of my location and some 2.5" totals just south. 

SNOWFALL TOTALS.jpg

Nice, I see 1.7 on that map like a mile from me and I got 1.5" here.  It probably was 1.7 since I don't have a board, but I'll go with my 1.5

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Does anyone from any weather board or elsewhere (Twitter?) who lives in Manhattan ever just walk into the park and measure the snow.  If I lived nearby, I'd do that all the time, as it's a nice walk in the snow, and I'd then actually "know" how much snow fell in CPK.  

For a storm like this, you'd have to measure it in the middle of the storm or right before it ended.  So probably around 4 am.....

55 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Yeah we had a decent amount of white rain, plus some virga beforehand here (RH was around 20% for me when the decent radar echos were starting to reach the south shore). Amounted to maybe just under half an inch here. 

• Like 1

Just now, Intensewind002 said:

Yeah we had a decent amount of white rain, plus some virga beforehand here (RH was around 20% for me when the decent radar echos were starting to reach the south shore). Amounted to maybe just under half an inch here. 

Did the snow get going for you after 2 am too?

It was basically a 2:20 am to 5 am storm here.

10 minutes ago, Intensewind002 said:

In any case the snow’s already gone here. Glad I’m an early riser for work lol. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Intensewind002 said:

Yeah it started snowing just after 2:00 and lasted until around 4:30, we did get another brief burst of snow around 6AM though. 

I missed that second one....or maybe it missed me lol.  I stayed awake from 5 am to 6 am and fell asleep again after that and finally woke up for good at 8 am.  Did that second one accumulate?

It was a tough one to measure because what had fallen by 4:30 had already mostly melted by 5 am, even with 32 degree temps....which are air temps....the ground was warmer than that!