Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Medium/Long Range Thread: The Empire Strikes Back

stormtracker

17 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Yes it can, there was even a significant early April snow that affected coastal NJ and DE a long time ago, but it takes a truly cold airmass and those are becoming rare even in mid winter lately. 

We had a May "threat" last til' NAM range back in 2020. Can dig up the old images but we got teased really, really late. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

We had a May "threat" last til' NAM range back in 2020. Can dig up the old images but we got teased really, really late. 

I remember a major snow threat a couple years ago (2018 maybe?) that had us in the bullseye for April something, ended up with 1-3 for the southwestern areas. I only remember it because I was in middle of nowhere PA and got to go sledding with my cousin on like 2 inches of snow. Huge flakes came down when it did snow. 

6 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Yep, that was it. There was also an EPS Control run that gave us an areawide 6-12" on May 11. Must've been ridiculously anomalously cold. 

I remember having to cover my garden transplants for a few nights around then. We definitely got into the low- to mid-30s. 

4 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Must've been ridiculously anomalously cold. 

The first 2 weeks of that month were the 8th coldest on record at the DC site. Far and away the coldest in the 2000s, and coldest since at least the 1940s. 

57c5027bbcc2952ec585792b0668bd18.png.4923ef6af7a579cb4fbb38094ec99cb9.png

The following 2 weeks chipped away at that cold start though, resulting in May 2020 as a whole being the 42nd coldest at DCA (63.8F). May 2003 was the coldest such month in recent memory, averaging 61.7F and being the 12th coldest on record.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

I thought that the control mimics the global at this range.  I guess we will find out this afternoon.

Inside about 120 hours they tend to be very close which makes sense since the control is basically a lower resolution version. However, this has morphed into an inverted trough type setup and those are incredibly delicate and could produce more spread between the two. But I think there was value in posting the control. As much value as any single data point anyways. 

1 minute ago, pazzo83 said:

Yeah May 2020 was nuts - if you recall there was a day where we barely got into the low 50s in the city (and colder outside) with sunny skies.

Most of our cold snaps nowadays seem to stem from a string of rainy and cloudy days that disproportionately skew high temps lower, so something like that is pretty impressive. If only that cold was there during the Dec-Feb timeframe :arrowhead:

• Like 1

Wave 3 isn’t so much impacted by this…but my fear with waves 1-2 are they split the energy.  There is an in between spot where wave 1 is just amplified enough to squash wave 2 but still not enough to help us. I’m torn in what to root for. Doesn’t matter since the fact there isn’t a 12 foot snowpack on my lawn proves what I root for has no impact on the outcome. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

Just last year, I measured a couple of inches on April 18, when 2-6” fell across the eastern panhandle of WV and western MD.

Since moving to WV in 2006, I’ve received:  

15” on March 21, 2018

9.4” on March 19-20, 2015

4.1” on March 25, 2013

6.0 on March 17, 2007

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ji said:

JB is calling this one of the coldest Marchs of all time. He couldnt resist

I’m always surprised he has any time to talk about weather much these days. Usually he is going on a scooby doo chase with the My Pillow guy on twitter. 

• Haha 1

Something I've noticed looking at individual ensemble members and ops and what produces snow or at least a close call v runs that don't.... we actually want a more amplified wave BUT it has to be in conjunction with a more suppressive flow such that the wave is more amplified but is digging over the midwest not lifting.  That is why I said I liked the NAM.  Its a more amped wave but its digging.  

Yes the weaker primary waves won't wreck the thermals as much but the flow along the east coast is suppressive and the weaker solutions also fail to produce a secondary in time.  The wave washes out and by the time it redevelops its way OTS.  We need the perfect combo of a stronger wave with a further south track of the upper feature such that a secondary forms quickly and further south.  

5 minutes ago, mappy said:

There was April snow in 2014 as well. 

At least up this way. I was annoyed because my tulips had bloomed already lol

Pretty sure we had snow fall from the sky in 2015 and 2016 too, in April. Didn't amount to anything, but at least it fell.

Don't mind April snows. The picturesqueness is greater than in March, though we get more then...

1 minute ago, Its a Breeze said:

Pretty sure we had snow fall from the sky in 2015 and 2016 too, in April. Didn't amount to anything, but at least it fell.

Don't mind April snows. The picturesqueness is greater than in March, though we get more then...

Probably. I honestly stop tracking snow come March 1st :lol:

• Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic