• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Ides of March end of Winter 2023

Plenty of valley locations across Chester County saw sub freezing temps this morning with some upper 20's in spots. Along the higher ridge locations we temps remained in the mid-30's. Today will be just about normal regarding high temps with readings in the mid-50's. Tomorrow we slip to well below normal with highs in the mid-40's. We warm up to start the weekend but with showers likely on Friday night into Saturday.
Records for today: High 87 (1945) / Low 9 (1923) / Rain 1.23" (1984) / Snow 3.0" (1942)
image.png.c7bd59b6ee54cb9bc07924ce8efb3750.png

29 minutes ago, ChescoWx said:
Plenty of valley locations across Chester County saw sub freezing temps this morning with some upper 20's in spots. Along the higher ridge locations we temps remained in the mid-30's. Today will be just about normal regarding high temps with readings in the mid-50's. Tomorrow we slip to well below normal with highs in the mid-40's. We warm up to start the weekend but with showers likely on Friday night into Saturday.
Records for today: High 87 (1945) / Low 9 (1923) / Rain 1.23" (1984) / Snow 3.0" (1942)
image.png.c7bd59b6ee54cb9bc07924ce8efb3750.png

Maybe some teens out that way tomorrow AM as well.  Teens at the end of March are pretty substantial on the "cold scale".  Going out a couple days, at MDT there are only 2 dates in April that have ever reached the teens and one was a serious anomaly at 11.   The other was 19. 

8 hours ago, Yardstickgozinya said:

I always appreciate your posts Mr. Snowman . I hope my post didn't come across as a lecture towards you. Just giving my own many experiences with graupel . I will be sure to post pics and vids in the future that will leave experienced meso hounds scratching their heads and questioning what and when is possible as far as graupel or some kind of rounded perlite looking ice pellet is concerned in my area.

Nope, didn't take it that way at all.  Was just clarifying that it wasn't graupel.  It's all good, and I must say, being called Mr. Snowman left me feeling quite titillated haha.

Has anyone checked on @Itstrainingtime?  After checking the snow cams at Mammoth this morning his heart may need monitoring!

Also, big thanks to @MAG5035 for that hail clarification yesterday, 'twas very helpful.  I had a feeling you would come through with something enlightening and you didn't disappoint.  You continue to be one of the bright spots in being a member of this board.  Don't ever think your work doesn't go unnoticed or unappreciated.  If I ever meet you in person you best believe you're being bought the finest of ales!

Happy hump-day to all!       

*whispers* national low of -35 at Peter Sinks, UT.

Tonight
Rain and snow showers before midnight, then a chance of snow showers between midnight and 2am. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 22. Southwest wind 14 to 18 mph becoming northwest in the evening. Winds could gust as high as 28 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.:shiver:
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Greensnow said:

Tonight
Rain and snow showers before midnight, then a chance of snow showers between midnight and 2am. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 22. Southwest wind 14 to 18 mph becoming northwest in the evening. Winds could gust as high as 28 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.:shiver:

We have snow on our zone way down at the Mason Dixon line.     The precip on the front is breaking apart as it gets down here though.   Good Luck up there. 

SPC has the mid Atlantic in its discussion for a day 8 threat. 

And the area of a enhanced on the day 3 forecast is HUGE. Not sure I've ever seen that large an area.

Going to be a very, very active 4 or so weeks for severe weather. PA looks to get in the game if not Saturday then next Wednesday. A 100+ mph jet stream will do that for you. 

My flight next week is going to be buuuuumpy lol

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, canderson said:

Anyone have access to the GFS wind product? @MAG5035?

Mid Atlantic thread says it is showing winds 60-65 mph Saturday. Which doesn't seem too far from unlikely given what's coming but CTP just mentions 40+ so far. 

@CarlislePaWx had the gust map last time.  Sustained are just in the 20's with a bit higher to the east.   30's of Chessie Bay. 

21 minutes ago, canderson said:

Anyone have access to the GFS wind product? @MAG5035?

Mid Atlantic thread says it is showing winds 60-65 mph Saturday. Which doesn't seem too far from unlikely given what's coming but CTP just mentions 40+ so far. 

It's always felt to me like modeled peak winds fail to live up to their billing in real life.  Am I off on this? 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

It's always felt to me like modeled peak winds fail to live up to their billing in real life.  Am I off on this? 

No...youre not off at all.

No met status needed to verify your statement.

Happy Hump Day to you as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

I always worry about this but the more extreme winds don’t seem to come to fruition here and I’m grateful every single time.

But we do have some strong winds (in the 25 mph range) at times when it’s not in the forecast or mentioned at all, like what Bubbler mentioned upthread. Happens at least 3 or 4 times each spring. But thankfully, we haven’t experienced any 50-60 mph winds. 

• Like 2

Here is the latest from CTP’s afternoon discussion:

Ahead of and after the cold front sweeps through, expect gusty winds to develop thanks to a deepening surface low over Quebec. The wind threat looks formidable with this system and gusts in excess of 40mph appear plausible for most of the area Saturday afternoon.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Nope, didn't take it that way at all.  Was just clarifying that it wasn't graupel.  It's all good, and I must say, being called Mr. Snowman left me feeling quite titillated haha.

Has anyone checked on @Itstrainingtime?  After checking the snow cams at Mammoth this morning his heart may need monitoring!

Also, big thanks to @MAG5035 for that hail clarification yesterday, 'twas very helpful.  I had a feeling you would come through with something enlightening and you didn't disappoint.  You continue to be one of the bright spots in being a member of this board.  Don't ever think your work doesn't go unnoticed or unappreciated.  If I ever meet you in person you best believe you're being bought the finest of ales!

Happy hump-day to all!       

*whispers* national low of -35 at Peter Sinks, UT.

30" of new powder overnight. 

I'm about speechless at this point.

46 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

Was that filmed during his one season ban for gambling and getting his old man killed for welching on a bet?

I mean, Jordan rides the bus.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Hey did your area have any power outages / trees down Saturday? Friend out in Butler is still without power and lost a ton of trees.  I know it’s way east but not sure if it got rough up north near Clearfield.