Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Banter 2023

George BM

14 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Excellent stuff. Excellent, excellent stuff. 

Thank you, @Bob Chill & others.

Looks like snowless winters turned me into a philosopher. They used to turn me into a bit of an A hole. Life progress has unlimited metrics if you keep your eyes open:nerdsmiley:. hahaha

I'm going post some pics of what I went thru with out driveway. Lol. The first couple will be pretty amusing when things unwound on me in Dec but the reality of what was in store for me kept smiles away more often than not :lol:

• Like 7

The 8200' level has remained all snow. The platform is piled up with fresh snow, and the winds are blowing it around as even MORE snow continues to add to the drifts up there. Palisades Tahoe is a snow lovers' wet dream! It just keeps right on giving and it never ever lets you down! They might end up piling on another 7 feet by Tuesday night! Those webcams are a BLAST, a kind of vicarious blizzard blast! That place is nothing but unlimited happiness for ever and ever! They say the snowbase is 224 inches! Just wow! Take a gander at their snow forecast!

https://www.palisadestahoe.com/mountain-information/snow-and-weather

And the webcams

https://www.palisadestahoe.com/mountain-information/webcams

Temps are DROPPING! Down to 24, now! Drop those snow levels! We need even MORE heavy snow at the Palisades! One thing I love, and cherish, is the thought of all the Palisades staff on deck, trying so hard to dig out the chairlifts, and then they get demolished by ANOTHER intense record atmospheric river of insane snow rates! Their biggest season on record is 707 in 2016-17, I think. Can we do 1000 inches at Palisades this season? I think so! Which brings up the question, Palisades resort staffers.......

CAN. YOU. DIG. IT. ?????????

• Like 2

Nice discussion on the DMV.  I've lived here all my life (except college) and all my family is here.  My wife's from here too.  But we want out and I have just a couple years left.  One thing this winter and other recent snowless winters have showed me is I do not want to live in a climate that has months of forlorn bare trees and brown ground, but no snow.  That means the Carolinas and Tennessee are out. 

I'd rather have a warm climate with a long gardening season and travel once a year for snow.  We are contemplating Florida, but those damn hurricanes (and not the sucky football team down there :P).  One area that might be a little less risk for hurricanes seems like the northeast FL area like St. Augustine.  Lots to think about.

On 3/9/2023 at 9:15 AM, Bob Chill said:

I'm all in now. I hopefully have 15+ solid years of good phys health. I'm finally light and strong for an old guy. That was harder than my driveway and I was already light and strong once lol. Everything a young person hears about getting old is true. They need to just accept that. 

I'm getting back to work here this spring with the contractor who did the initial clearing on our tract. 1 man show will become a 2 man show with machines. We're buying a 12k lb excavator and we both have  trucks/trailers trackloaders already. I'm in for my love for the outdoors and also machines (lifetime gear head lol)

I need to earn but my ambition doesn't have a single $ attached.  I have a feeling it will all just naturally work out. The realtor who sold us our lot set us up to clear a 2 acre build site for a lot he sold. All I did was mention I'm buying excavator in passing. He lit up and here we are. Life is a GD trip sometimes. Nothing I'm doing is pre-planned. Just rollin downstream seeing what happens.

I’m down from285 to 225 and not gaining it back!

still working with weights and limbering exercise and activities. Watching many guys my age who cant lift there arms above their head, I can still touch an 8’ ceiling 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Jebman said:

The 8200' level has remained all snow. The platform is piled up with fresh snow, and the winds are blowing it around as even MORE snow continues to add to the drifts up there. Palisades Tahoe is a snow lovers' wet dream! It just keeps right on giving and it never ever lets you down! They might end up piling on another 7 feet by Tuesday night! Those webcams are a BLAST, a kind of vicarious blizzard blast! That place is nothing but unlimited happiness for ever and ever! They say the snowbase is 224 inches! Just wow! Take a gander at their snow forecast!

https://www.palisadestahoe.com/mountain-information/snow-and-weather

And the webcams

Temps are DROPPING! Down to 24, now! Drop those snow levels! We need even MORE heavy snow at the Palisades! One thing I love, and cherish, is the thought of all the Palisades staff on deck, trying so hard to dig out the chairlifts, and then they get demolished by ANOTHER intense record atmospheric river of insane snow rates! Their biggest season on record is 707 in 2016-17, I think. Can we do 1000 inches at Palisades this season? I think so! Which brings up the question, Palisades resort staffers.......

CAN. YOU. DIG. IT. ?????????

It actually changed to rain in Truckee for a while today. 

On 3/9/2023 at 9:54 AM, Wxtrix said:

here’s the thing though:  wouldn’t you rather be a person who didn’t need to post the cost of an expensive vacation to validate themselves to people on the internet?  bless his heart though.

If what he's posting is actually true lol.

2k a night vacation lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daniel Boone said:

It actually changed to rain in Truckee for a while today. 

Well the temps are falling but good and more snow is on the way for tonight! This place NEVER EVER LETS YOU DOWN. All it wants to do, in the Sierran Cordillera, is snow, snow snow, all the time! Another thing I love so much, are those incredibly HIGH WINDS laden with snow, both falling snow and snow from off the ground, that just blasts past you in solid white ecstatic waves!

I absolutely LOVE Palisades so much! The snowpack is SO DEEP at 8200 feet! It averages about 224 inches deep! It gets so cold, the snow does not melt, and it just keeps right on blowing around! Its down to 20 degrees! Getting ready for MORE SNOW later tonight!

WOOOOOOOO-----HOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, nj2va said:

@RIC_WX

@mdhokie

Do y’all have radon mitigation systems at your DCL places? If so, do you know who installed it? We need to replace ours and we’re having a hard time finding someone. We called Rush and Beitzel but they don’t do it. 

I don't. I do have a handheld measuring device if you want to borrow it. My cabin is so leaky I've never measured anything significant. Our neighbors have a fan though.

What needs replacing? If its just the fan, it can be ordered online and maybe find a handyman to install it. If its easy to get to lemme know I can take a look. I plan on coming up sun-tues to get some skiing in between meetings :). 

17 minutes ago, mdhokie said:

I don't. I do have a handheld measuring device if you want to borrow it. My cabin is so leaky I've never measured anything significant. Our neighbors have a fan though.

What needs replacing? If its just the fan, it can be ordered online and maybe find a handyman to install it. If its easy to get to lemme know I can take a look. I plan on coming up sun-tues to get some skiing in between meetings :). 

We had the house tested during the inspection back in ‘16 and the levels were fine.  Last month, we got a free radon test through the state of VA - results came back last week and it was in the 30s.  I figured it was a faulty test so we purchased a radon/air quality/etc digital device - it’s still in the 3 day testing window but currently its showing a reading in the 40s, which is definitely concerning.

The manometer reading is 0.5 so just within an acceptable range on the system and the fan is running.  But I’m guessing I need to either replace the fan, suction needs to be fixed, or there’s a crack that needs repairing that is letting gases in.  

The home inspector we used is coming out next week to look at the system.  I was going to head to Lowe’s this morning to get a fan to see about replacing it myself today but they don’t have any in stock of course :) 

10 minutes ago, nj2va said:

We had the house tested during the inspection back in ‘16 and the levels were fine.  Last month, we got a free radon test through the state of VA - results came back last week and it was in the 30s.  I figured it was a faulty test so we purchased a radon/air quality/etc digital device - it’s still in the 3 day testing window but currently its showing a reading in the 40s, which is definitely concerning.

The manometer reading is 0.5 so just within an acceptable range on the system and the fan is running.  But I’m guessing I need to either replace the fan, suction needs to be fixed, or there’s a crack that needs repairing that is letting gases in.  

The home inspector we used is coming out next week to look at the system.  I was going to head to Lowe’s this morning to get a fan to see about replacing it myself today but they don’t have any in stock of course :) 

Is the pipe inside or outside? sometimes the pipe will clog or crack. if part of the pipe is inside and leaking the fan is basically pumping radon into your house. 

Ace in oakland or that building supply place in accident might have fans. but if your meter is showing a vacuum and you hear it whiring its probably not the fan. you could try turning it off and seeing if levels go down.

I dont mind taking a looksee if you are still around tomorrow.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nj2va said:

@RIC_WX

@mdhokie

Do y’all have radon mitigation systems at your DCL places? If so, do you know who installed it? We need to replace ours and we’re having a hard time finding someone. We called Rush and Beitzel but they don’t do it. 

I don’t have one.  Hopefully my wood stove drafting from the basement is burning it all up.  If not, the CO it produces assures I usually don’t care.  We finished our interior ourselves hence if you need a tool or something, I probably have it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 09-10 analogy said:

Mid Atlantic snow lovers and the 2022-3 winter walked into a bar.

Winter 2022-3 walked out.

#verybadjokes

LMAO!

Meanwhile up at Palisades we have a HUMONGOUS DRIFT at the 8200' level platform! Snow is still falling and those WINDS are just blowing that snow all over the place!

Palisades Tahoe is a beautiful place with more snow than I have ever seen in my life! Even MORE snow is on the way thru Wednesday!

• Like 1

On 3/9/2023 at 7:33 PM, Eskimo Joe said:

Nice! There are eagles that fly near Patapsco State Park McKeldin Area. You'll just randomly see them fly up the river over the water. It's so cool.

Cool! Its been pretty slow this "winter" for Bald Eagles in my area. In recent years, I would often see Bald Eagles flying over the Patapsco River and the Chesapeake Bay but the first one I saw this year was last weekend at Downs Park. I think a lot of it had to do with the lack of migratory ducks in the area this year. 

I have been wanting to go to the McKeldin area. I have seen some neat pictures of the rapids/waterfalls there. I usually go to the Avalon/Orange Grove areas of Patapsco for photos/hiking. 

• Like 1

On 3/11/2023 at 5:51 PM, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

Hey Jeb, how cold do you think it will have to be to have the spray on the hose turn to ice/snow before landing on the ground? Maybe -50F. I've done it from a balcony and rooftop before lol. Just freezing rain. 

Not sure, maybe about -20 F. Just so long as I dont have to clean it up.

This, is why I love Palisades Tahoe so much! Take a look at that drift on the 8200' level platform! It looks like the Arctic Circle up there! That is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen in my entire life, a genuine Palisades Tahoe Snowdrift!

Which brings me to my next point. You gotta be askin' yourself, Can They Dig It?

Turn those speakers way up. I realize this guy is talkin about using NY gangs to start what amounts to an insurrection, but he says it so well, "Can You Dig It?" It is at 1:48 in the vid.

This is the biggest drift I have ever seen thus far on the 8200' level platform at Palisades Tahoe! It is so high it is nearly obscuring the stuff behind it! Still snowing, and they are gonna get more! Lowlands are getting absolutely demolished by unprecedented flooding. They have had 137 inches of snow, just in March! Its an atmospheric river of pure heavy wet snow!

They have been getting Deepcembered, JanuBuried, FebuBuried, and MarchBuried in Tahoe. Lifts are DOWN, although a few of the lifts on the lower mountain are operational. The upper mountain is snowed in and snowed under BAD, with snow ongoing and that wind is blowing it all over the place! They gotta manually dig out some of the chairs on the lifts, BY HAND, with a shovel!

• Like 6

This should make some laugh and others feel a little bad for me. Right before the "monster truck event" fiasco, I actually had the driveway bed graded and crowned. Lol. Was just going to pack rock as it settled then gravel. Wasn't supposed to rain much that week and certainly not 2" in 30 hours lol. 2 trucks had to get up. No choice. One weighed over 8k lbs. Lol. We were so wet and muddy and intermittently stuck... Words can't describe that night (it was dark lol). 

I went back to Rockville laughing kinda because I couldn't tell how bad it was. My neighbor shot the 2 pics the next day and texted me "you got a little bit of access problems goin on". Then I saw the pics. They only covered half of the mess. There was plenty more :lol:

So my wife and I got to work. Mud dried and I graded it all off. Could drive up and down dry no prob. Wet? Truck up the hill before first drop. Then we farmed rocks (mostly quartz) in the woods with the tractor. Packed in the bed where needed top to bottom. Then I leveled and crowned.

During the 2 months, every truck or piece of equip that went up and down was instructed to drive over all rocks at all times lol. Pack em in real good. It works great and it's all free.

The rocks in the pics looking like they are laying on the surface have at least 3-5 buddies underneath holding them up permanently. Dump truck went over them and didn't budge.  Pics show lower 2/3ds of the drive. 

After all the hell the gravel went down smooth. Only took 3-4 hours to get it just right. Best tractor ride of 2023 coming down the gravel. Will be hard to top. 

20230312_212040.thumb.jpg.1ceb17925a31e9e798f8f2ae164f8d0c.jpg

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, nj2va said:

What a mess that forecast is for NWS in New England.  Models are all over the place 24 hours from the event.

They'll get smacked. It's New England. But its ONLY sixteen inches with a 50 mph breeze. You know where I like to be for winter.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jebman said:

Nice job! Might have to hire you to put in our driveway here in central Texas someday.

We'll see how many years I have left first. Lol. Crazy things keep happening. I'll be running a 12k lb excavator around on weekends here shortly. I have to build bridges that support 15k lbs to get across 2 drainages but I can't build them without the excavator. I'm going to be a single man road/bridge crew. Those pics will be really wild. Or scary. I've never done this b4 :tomato:

• Like 2

Man, I found pics of the first cut back in July. Trees getting shredded by a machine must be watched live to appreciate. Top 2 pics are hard to recognize but it is the same place as the gravel pics. Lol. We ran a trackloader for 6 days straight after the mulchers finished. It was in the 90s every.single.day. 

We chose mulching over excavating because it creates a mountain of composting biomass out of the gate. Excavators just knock everything down and move it to the side. Which is totally fine but we plan of having large gardens and a 3 acre pasture to attract wildlife. The mulch is nearly soil now and man we have A LOT lol 

20230313_002743.jpg

• Like 9

There is a huge huge GLOB of Pacific moisture on the way to slam HARD right into California and the snow is already picking up BIG-TIME at the Palisades at Tahoe!

They will likely pick up another TWO TO THREE FEET! That wind is just blasting that snow all over the place at the 8200' level!

They are gonna have a LOT of snow to dig, because many of those chairs are gonna be deep under fresh snow! Ha ha they are likely gonna be forced to dig the KT-22 lift out of the deep, drifted snow all over again!

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic