• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 21-23 Major Winter Storm

Hoosier

Chunks of ice are hitting the east side of the house as the wind is now starting to knock off some of the ice from high up in the front tree.  Glad temps weren't a degree or two colder or we'd have been hit pretty good.  Hoosier's point about the dews being a bit lower than freezing is interesting, never thought about that.  

Up to 0.90"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

That is a neat observation.

Don't think I've ever seen it like that before.  I've seen trees and other elevated surfaces glaze up while the ground remained liquid, but never this sort of elevated glaze like today.  I'd imagine if I took a short trip north it changes pretty quickly to more of a "traditional" glaze lol.

Models pulled the rug on MSP. Hate to see it. Still a solid storm, but what might have been.

Also, models were awful with temps looking at LAF. They're at 39˚ currently. Most models had them in the 60's right now. 12z Euro had them in the low 60's all afternoon. Woof. 

EDIT: zone forecast for today. :arrowhead:

TIPPECANOE-   INCLUDING THE CITIES OF LAFAYETTE AND WEST LAFAYETTE  

328 AM EST WED FEB 22 2023      

TODAY   SHOWERS AND SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS. NOT AS COOL WITH   HIGHS AROUND 60. SOUTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO   25 MPH, BECOMING SOUTHWEST 15 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 40 MPH   THIS AFTERNOON. CHANCE OF RAIN NEAR 100 PERCENT.

10 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Chunks of ice are hitting the east side of the house as the wind is now starting to knock off some of the ice from high up in the front tree.  Glad temps weren't a degree or two colder or we'd have been hit pretty good.  Hoosier's point about the dews being a bit lower than freezing is interesting, never thought about that.  

Up to 0.90"

Not totally sure, but it seems like it makes sense.  :lol:  All else being equal, something like 32/29 seems like it would be better for accretion than 32/32.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

Models pulled the rug on MSP. Hate to see it. Still a solid storm, but what might have been.

Also, models were awful with temps looking at LAF. They're at 39˚ currently. Most models had them in the 60's right now. 12z Euro had them in the low 60's all afternoon. Woof. 

It's torching just south of there in Crawfordsville.  Tricky when you're near a large gradient.

35 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Power outages rapidly increasing across Northern Illinois.

You don't even need to look at the radar, can just look at the outage map to see where there has/hasn't been ice.

image.png.6182c1b2687d2b1abcaf696fed5c971e.png

Yep waiting for this to snap in my driveway.

Screenshot_20230222_180022_Gallery.jpg

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

TIPPECANOE-   INCLUDING THE CITIES OF LAFAYETTE AND WEST LAFAYETTE  

328 AM EST WED FEB 22 2023      

TODAY   SHOWERS AND SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS. NOT AS COOL WITH   HIGHS AROUND 60. SOUTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO   25 MPH, BECOMING SOUTHWEST 15 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 40 MPH   THIS AFTERNOON. CHANCE OF RAIN NEAR 100 PERCENT.

I got screwed on that too. The effective warm front is still about 30-40 miles south of me. Haven't been out of the mid 30's all day, while IND set a record high around 4 PM of 71°.  Predicted high in the upper 50's. At least I got a t-storm out of it this morning.

12 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

I got screwed on that too. The effective warm front is still about 30-40 miles south of me. Haven't been out of the mid 30's all day, while IND set a record high around 4 PM of 71°.  Predicted high in the upper 50's. At least I got a t-storm out of it this morning.

Never had hope here. Unless you're like Hoosier and rode the 48 hour HRRR and RAP. :D

Tomorrow's quick torch looks like a non-event too. What a miserable system on the cold/wet side.

8 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

Never had hope here. Unless you're like Hoosier and rode the 48 hour HRRR and RAP. :D

Tomorrow's quick torch looks like a non-event too. What a miserable system on the cold/wet side.

Yeah, no kiddin'. I haven't checked the gauge, but I'm sure that we're over 2" and still pouring, all while in the 30's. I was going to mention yesterday that the warm front often ends up on the northern envelope of guidance, but I'm glad I didn't because it sure didn't happen this time.

3 minutes ago, frostfern said:

Only minor ice accumulation on the trees.  The watery sleet bounces off tree branches but it certainly stuck to the car.  Crust doesn't come off so easily.  It's basically sleet glued together with clear ice.

Similar here too. Only the past couple hours here has it been more rain than sleet.

I saved this METAR from earlier today. This is one worth to add to the collection: 

KARB 222217Z 07009G20KT 1 3/4SM TSFZRA BR BKN010 OVC015 00/M02 A2974 RMK AO2 LTG DSNT E AND SW AND W TSB17 CIG 007V013 P0010 I1005 T00001022

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1