• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2023 Medium/Long Range Pattern Discussion Thread.....Torch or Tundra???

Carvers Gap

Just now, fountainguy97 said:

I wouldn't be surpsised for the spread to breiefly widen. Seems like that happens alot with bigger events. 

as long as we are in the middle of the cone we are good. Atleast according to @Carvers Gap:P

Cone is Nashville to Raleigh.  Range of options is rain to 12" of snow.  When in doubt, go cold rain.  LOL.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

And if you think cold weather is done for the season, I am just gonna leave this here.  That Feb18-21st window is decent. 1040hp parked over Memphis feeding cold into the Gulf Coast.  

Screen_Shot_2023-02-08_at_8.35.24_PM.png

Maybe that has time to trend northwest. That first system looks good for East Tennessee. But cold and dry in late February and March or rain and cold in late winter and early spring  isn’t what I want either. For us in Middle and West Tennessee the door is still open but it is headed for the 4th quarter in a still fast progressive overall pattern. I would love 1 good winter snow storm surprise before spring but I wouid feel a lot better about it if I lived in East Tennessee this year. At least we did have 2 events around Christmas and another event at the end of Jan-Feb. We have had worse years. Good luck East Tennessee on the Sunday system, maybe things will change between now and spring for the rest of us. Haven’t heard much of nothing on the supposed ssw event that was expected any day now of course the mjo and other factors play in as well. Any good luck, maybe the mountains will do well Sunday. It looks to have potential for sure.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, *Flash* said:

Doesn’t the Euro tend to overamp? As a middle TN resident, would love to actually see a NW trend work in our favor but I’m not sure the Euro has the best beat on this yet.

It does.  It was late to the game w/ the ice storm, and took a long time to correct to the CMC.  It really wasn't close to being accurate until about 24hours to go.

• Like 3

Wow I go to sleep for 2 hours and the whole thing unravels... :thumbsdown:

Edit 6am:  I'm not surprised that we have more uncertainty at this stage and not less. 

06 gfs, icon, NAM are all good hits for the mountains but cmc and RGEM are warm. 

The gfs is absurd. 9" kuchera in 6 hrs for alot of places.This one is far from over.
6A74B523-0916-449A-95A7-5166342F2F84.jpeg.1d8e4936e844aba920981501fa29d975.jpeg

• Like 1

Further afield the MJO has lit a fire wrt cyclones in the Maritime Continent and western Pac:

law24YI.png

That does look like it is really trying to work its way into the Pacific though. 

WRT the Strat, there's been some slight can kicking forward in time, but I suspect it will be pretty shredded by the final week of February. That's about the same time we had one in Feb 2018. 

giphy.gif?cid=790b76110324eb93bef262454c

• Sad 1

Canadian is a beautiful rainstorm with a weird southern plateau jackpot of snow. 

Dynamic cooling. I would expect mods to struggle handling low level dynamics under 2500’. For the valley all we need is low 40’s and good rates. As long as we are within the cold core, the temp dropping 5-7 degrees is nothing. Seen it drop close to 10 degrees before.

• Like 4

I remember Valentines Day(ish) in the early to mid 80’s we had a similar ULL that busted on the snow side. The cutoff was I-40 in Knoxville. I remember this because we were stuck at school until late in the afternoon towards dark. Started raining but quickly changed to snow north of 40. My dad had a 1980 full size Bronco and we started taking kids home from school (yeah you could do that back then). I can’t remember how much we ended up with but it had to been 5+ inches in just a few hours. Similar to the Huntsville bowling ball several years ago.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

Dynamic cooling. I would expect mods to struggle handling low level dynamics under 2500’. For the valley all we need is low 40’s and good rates. As long as we are within the cold core, the temp dropping 5-7 degrees is nothing. Seen it drop close to 10 degrees before.

Yeah, agreed.  When you look at that Canadian run it looks like most of the east gets under heavy precipitation, but most shows up as rain. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, fountainguy97 said:

We have a 100mile difference between Euro and gfs today. Euro is NW and much more snow further into TN. 

The resolving of this will determine where the heaviest snow sets up this weekend. 

D03C1D08-DEAB-4F15-B008-6F84B533192F.gif.5e51cc288035ca1083c41ebd8a25f459.gif

Maybe it's somewhere in the middle? Seems the models have done that a lot this winter. Two different solutions with a slow trend towards each other. 

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic