• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2023 Medium/Long Range Pattern Discussion Thread.....Torch or Tundra???

Carvers Gap

This is the 6z off run of the Euro operational.  These snow maps are incomplete as the storm is not finished.  I have the last slide of both accumulations and slp/preciptype maps.  The control definitely has issues w/ the thermal profile in the valley.  I would think the west side of the eastern valley is in a slightly better spot with this set-up as downsloping is less here.

Screen_Shot_2023-02-09_at_10.14.00_AM.pnScreen_Shot_2023-02-09_at_10.14.15_AM.pn

4 hours ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

WPC projects an inverted trough back over Roan Mt. 

pZU0aiM.png

As it has slowed down it has kept moving further into long range for the Hi Res models, so hopefully still time for a few more adjustments for those of us on the plateau, lol. 

Remind me why the inverted trough is good.  I know it helps, but I always forget about how that actually works.

• Like 1

Just now, fountainguy97 said:

Temps are becoming a serious issue across models. RGEM is abysmal. Even NAM is absolutely borderline for a lot of people.  We are losing the cold pretty quickly.

This is one of these systems that might lollipop somebody.  Three years ago the Plateau had a storm which was quite similar almost at the exact time of year.  We had a robotics tournament in Cookeville, and the Plateau had been hammered.  

• Like 1

The 12k NAM, and who knows if it is right at this range, has precip starting about midnight on Saturday night.  The best dynamics for snow aren't until mid-day Sunday.  Best case scenario is the rain changes to snow Saturday night.  That would cool the air column and keep it snow.  If we are having to get marginal temps to cool during the middle of the day on Sunday...might be tough sledding.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

The 12z definitely has thermal issues, but precip arrives overnight Saturday.  It definitely has broken towards the Euro now.  The question is modeling done trending westward.  IDK.

I've seen these 3 day trends stop and then reverse abt 25% up to game time.  

Who knows with this setup. The good news is the euro is still the extreme west guidance. Will be interesting to see it's 12z run.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fountainguy97 said:

I've seen these 3 day trends stop and then reverse abt 25% up to game time.  

Who knows with this setup. The good news is the euro is still the extreme west guidance. Will be interesting to see it's 12z run.

We take that run and run with it in NE TN.  I suspect we see one more shift west, and then maybe a slight jog east.  Bullseye is now 2000' on the Plateau and Smokies I think w/ Cumberlands, NE TN(?), SE KY, SW VA, and W NC sitting in a good spot.  

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Silas Lang said:

Seems like this thing is trending slower as well. Wonder if we could trend to a more ideal period of snow on Sunday night as opposed to the day time? 

It is possible.  FWIW, the Canadian is a good track, but woefully bad time of day.  Noon is not when we want to see snowstorms during mid Feb.  This track could produce some lollipops.  Of all modeling, the CMC in this set-up is probably not the go to.  That said, it usually would be the coldest - doh!  

1 hour ago, Carvers Gap said:

This is one of these systems that might lollipop somebody.  Three years ago the Plateau had a storm which was quite similar almost at the exact time of year.  We had a robotics tournament in Cookeville, and the Plateau had been hammered.  

February 7, 2021, or a different one? That was one of the prettiest snows I've seen in Crossville on the trees

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Carvers Gap said:

We take that run and run with it in NE TN.  I suspect we see one more shift west, and then maybe a slight jog east.  Bullseye is now 2000' on the Plateau and Smokies I think w/ Cumberlands, NE TN(?), SE KY, SW VA, and W NC sitting in a good spot.  

2000' on the plateau you say....

May be the best superbowl party ever haha

Canadian trend is less snow overall, plateau barely gets an inch. 3 to 4 inches inches mountains with a dollop of 6+ in the south apps

• Like 1

2000' on the plateau you say....

May be the best superbowl party ever haha

Canadian trend is less snow overall, plateau barely gets an inch. 3 to 4 inches inches mountains with a dollop of 6+ in the south apps

QPF is less on the Canadian so this isn’t a more rain less snow unless I’m looking at it wrong.

• Like 1

Jog northwest indeed is on recent model runs (NWP) 12Z Thursday. NWP could still jog a little more northwest into Friday, but from there it should stabilize. For some more NW is good. For others here, it's already approaching the sweet spot.

Inverted trough helps low level convergence. Mountains also play a role, kind of like an inverted lee trough. All help surface convergence. 

Cold core could fix most problems if the temp is 40 at the beginning. Exception is Chattanooga because a northeast wind is downslope, and keeps it warmer. Knoxville NE wind is basically neutral. Yeah gentle downslope down the Great Valley, but not like off the Mountains for Chatty.

I'm not too worried about time of day yet. If snow starts sticking overnight, it'll be fine in the morning. There's some causation there, but mostly correlation; if snow is sticking, it's cold enough. Cold, not just existing snow, would be the common helper.

I think that concludes my eight cents worth, two cents on four above thoughts. I'm pretty optimistic for much of East Tennessee outside of Chattanooga (though we could) and even the Plateau.

My gut says this will turn out from Knoxville east and north. Given the northwest NWP trends, the Cumberland Plateau should get snow too. GFS Georgia lala land aside, 12Z Thursday NWP (06Z Euro) keeps the TROWAL feature* going up that way. Finally we all talk about a little expansion on the north side of the snow shield. 

* See WAA from the northeast into the cold core at 850/700 mb on most NWP.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic