• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2023 Medium/Long Range Pattern Discussion Thread.....Torch or Tundra???

Carvers Gap

6 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Still rolling and 15hours straight of wintry precip.

We need to cash this ASAP.  Euro is actually the lowest model in regards to QPF. Good to see. All 12z models besides gfs are similar evolution.  Potential for a mid-sized winter event for sure.  Still doubtful on alot of accumulations but looks good. Probably thread worthy!

6 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

The other thing is the 12z GFS does not appear to have a consolidated center as it seems to have one foot in the faster solution and one foot in the slower....slightly double barrel in nature.

Someone remind me...doesn't NC have a weird teleconnection to phase 4-5 of the MJO?  @Met1985, do you remember that study that @GaWxhad at one time.  In other words, right in the middle of that warm tour...NC scores more often than not.

I don't recall finding anything special about phase 4-5 over other phases for NC. But what I can tell you about MJO tendencies regards RDU 6"+ snows (and by extension a good number of major SE winter storms in general including at ATL) and is this:  low amp (within COD...most of them) to moderately low amplitude (between 1 and 1.5) was present for an amazing 93% of the big RDU storms since the daily MJO index started (13 of 14)! Only 1/17-18/2018 had an amplitude higher than 1.5 and it just happened to be in phase 4. It had an amp of 1.9. So, even that wasn't a high (2+) amp.

So, I can say that none of RDU's fourteen 6"+ snows since the MJO started getting tracked daily had a high amplitude MJO (2+). The odds of any DJFM day having an amp of 2+ are 20%. So, the expectation if there were no tendency based on that would be for three of those fourteen 6"+ snows to have an amp of 2+. Having no high amp together with the fact that most of the 14 were when the MJO was within the circle tell me that the lower the amplitude the better the odds of a big snow in RDU and vicinity.

Edit: Aside: Every ATL major IP or ZR since 1979 was within the circle entirely (all but one) or partially (one that was on two calendar days)! More evidence that being either inside or barely outside the circle is best for major wintry precip chances.

Edit #2: The MJO forecasts have a 1.0 to 1.50 amp (low end moderate) for Feb 12th, which is the day with the highest threat for snow. So, although not ideal since it isn't inside the circle, it is not bad either since it isn't too far outside.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, GaWx said:

I don't recall finding anything special about phase 4-5 over other phases for NC. But what I can tell you about MJO tendencies regards RDU 6"+ snows (and by extension a good number of major SE winter storms in general including at ATL) and is this:  low amp (within COD...most of them) to moderately low amplitude (between 1 and 1.5) was present for an amazing 93% of the big RDU storms since the daily MJO index started (13 of 14)! Only 1/17-18/2018 had an amplitude higher than 1.5 and it just happened to be in phase 4. It had an amp of 1.9. So, even that wasn't a high (2+) amp.

So, I can say that none of RDU's fourteen 6"+ snows since the MJO started getting tracked daily had a high amplitude MJO (2+). The odds of any DJFM day having an amp of 2+ are 20%. So, the expectation if there were no tendency based on that would be for three of those fourteen 6"+ snows to have an amp of 2+. Having no high amp together with the fact that most of the 14 were when the MJO was within the circle tell me that the lower the amplitude the better the odds of a big snow in RDU and vicinity.

Edit: Aside: Every ATL major IP or ZR since 1979 was within the circle entirely (all but one) or partially (one that was on two calendar days)! More evidence that being either inside or barely outside the circle is best for major wintry precip chances.

Edit #2: The MJO forecasts have a 1.0 to 1.50 amp (low end moderate) for Feb 12th, which is the day with the highest threat for snow. So, although not ideal since it isn't inside the circle, it is not bad either since it isn't too far outside.

Great work as usual Larry !!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, tnweathernut said:

Continues to trend deeper, further southwest, and more closed off at 500.  A little slower and not as progressive and it would have looked very similar to the snowy southern app solutions, IMO.

It's strange but in a way trending toward others. another tick or two west and it'll start bringing it north pretty quickly. That being said the 18z GEFS is a complete miss for our area too.  It sure is stubborn.  Still by far the outlier.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, fountainguy97 said:

It's strange but in a way trending toward others. another tick or two west and it'll start bringing it north pretty quickly. That being said the 18z GEFS is a complete miss for our area too.  It sure is stubborn.  Still by far the outlier.

Either the outlier or the leader...........   I don't want to think about the latter.  lol

• Like 4

Just now, fountainguy97 said:

Hopefully, this time the wretched thing won't score a Coup. I can see how that solution is possible, however. Saw it with the March 2009 System, although it was basically a strong Clipper traveling the Jet Trough SE through Arkansas, West Tn and across Alabama, Georgia then curving North grazing far Eastern TN and slamming Carolina's and Wytheville VA eastward. We were in that void area in the Trough. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

Not saying it’s impossible but it’s impossible this continues SE. I would bet a lot of money this starts working it’s way back NW in the morning. In my opinion ULL’s tend to end up a little NW of the mods.

Agree.  There is a HP which is sitting over the top which might be blocking it, but there is not bitterly cold air mass shunting southward.  That said bowling balls are notoriously tough to predict. 

• Like 2

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic