• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2023 Medium/Long Range Pattern Discussion Thread.....Torch or Tundra???

Carvers Gap

34 minutes ago, Silas Lang said:

Do we want the storm to become stronger to pull more west? What is the mechanism that keeps it towards TN and not too far east? 

Thinking more about that good question...I say let it rip in terms of strength.  We are going to need that to overcome temps.  We want cold air crashing into the NW quadrant.  I think we only get that if it deepens.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Also, downsloping along the western foothills is definitely a concern if cold air is not in place and is being manufactured.  The 12z NAM shows that downsloping effect quite well.  W NC is cold and E TN is in the mid 40s.  Need this to hit at night.  What is the timing on this?  I haven't even looked.  

Pretty much all models have a rain to snow event for us. starts 3amish Sunday morning and peaking around sunrise. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Carvers Gap said:

Thinking more about that good question...I say let it rip in terms of strength.  We are going to need that to overcome temps.  We want cold air crashing into the NW quadrant.  I think we only get that if it deepens.

Not saying this one will happen, but our best snowstorms have occurred during the day when temps from 48-72 hours out were projected to be in the low 40's and what ended up happening was 33 and heavy snow.  Also in very similar scenarios to this I have witnessed downsloping be a non-factor even though the flow on radar is directly over the mountains from SE to NW.   Just a FWIW as we try and figure out if this potential system has legs.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, tnweathernut said:

Not saying this one will happen, but our best snowstorms have occurred during the day when temps from 48-72 hours out were projected to be in the low 40's and what ended up happening was 33 and heavy snow.  Also in very similar scenarios to this I have witnessed downsloping be a non-factor even though the flow on radar is directly over the mountains from SE to NW.   Just a FWIW as we try and figure out if this potential system has legs.

I am in favor of this remark.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, tnweathernut said:

I think the saving grace with this is the fact we "should" have amounts already on the ground by sun-up. There are a lot of factors to limit accums but if we can manage a good coating before sunrise we should be ok. 

Wet ground, warm temps, sun. Thats a lot of things cutting into totals. I'd cut Kuchera in half probably.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, fountainguy97 said:

I think the saving grace with this is the fact we "should" have amounts already on the ground by sun-up. There are a lot of factors to limit accums but if we can manage a good coating before sunrise we should be ok. 

Wet ground, warm temps, sun. Thats a lot of things cutting into totals. I'd cut Kuchera in half probably.

Oddly, if it is a big storm, I rarely worry about ground temps.  Those can be overcome.  Heavy rates trump.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

The 6z Euro control(and I checked) picks up almost exactly where the operational stops.  For those new to the Euro off-run, it doesn't go out as far.  So, you have to look at the control run of the ensemble to see where it would have gone.  It is waaaay west from 0z.

Screen_Shot_2023-02-08_at_8.24.05_AM.png

I'll take the 6-10" amounts on the plateau if I gotta :wub:

Man this is gonna be interesting! May need to setup a time-lapse if we trend well

• Like 2

The other thing is the 12z GFS does not appear to have a consolidated center as it seems to have one foot in the faster solution and one foot in the slower....slightly double barrel in nature.

Someone remind me...doesn't NC have a weird teleconnection to phase 4-5 of the MJO?  @Met1985, do you remember that study that @GaWxhad at one time.  In other words, right in the middle of that warm tour...NC scores more often than not.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Looks super similar to 6z...just slower.  That slow down "could" produce a more westward component to the trajectory if that trend continues.  Slower usually results in westward down the line.

Yeah a miss to the east BUT it did come west abt 25miles. Moisture just still doesn't make it over. 

12z CMC coming in identical to NAM. GFS continues to be the outlier.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Carvers Gap said:

The other thing is the 12z GFS does not appear to have a consolidated center as it seems to have one foot in the faster solution and one foot in the slower....slightly double barrel in nature.

Someone remind me...doesn't NC have a weird teleconnection to phase 4-5 of the MJO?  @Met1985, do you remember that study that @GaWxhad at one time.  In other words, right in the middle of that warm tour...NC scores more often than not.

That's a great question for sure Carver. Im not sure myself but maybe @GaWx could come up with something. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

That's a great question for sure Carver. Im not sure myself but maybe @GaWx could come up with something. 

I ask selfishly, because sometimes that works out for E TN as well.  I seem to remember that phase 3-4 has a weird correlation to snow in your area.  I filed that away just because it is unusual.  

9 minutes ago, fountainguy97 said:

Yeah a miss to the east BUT it did come west abt 25miles. Moisture just still doesn't make it over. 

12z CMC coming in identical to NAM. GFS continues to be the outlier.

Very steady look by the CMC.  For once, can the GFS actually be too progressive this winter, and live up to its old bias...LOL.  

Just now, Carvers Gap said:

I ask selfishly, because sometimes that works out for E TN as well.  I seem to remember that phase 3-4 has a weird correlation to snow in your area.  I filed that away just because it is unusual.  

Yeah you are possible right. Especially in February there may be something weird about it. 

1 minute ago, Met1985 said:

I do think it's being too progressive at this point. I think it'll correct today or tomorrow. 

Re: 12z....The CMC backed further west around 96.  The GFS looked like it was going to early in its run.  The big thing I notice is that it is slowing down.  That might allow for a bigger storm.

8 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Re: 12z....The CMC backed further west around 96.  The GFS looked like it was going to early in its run.  The big thing I notice is that it is slowing down.  That might allow for a bigger storm.

Yeah I just posted the cmc snow map and it gets yall involved and to me a more realistic look at this point.  I think it does slow especially when turning negative tilt.

• Like 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic