Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January/February Mid/Long Range Disco IV: A New Hope

stormtracker

2 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

definitely less suppressive than 00z.  TPV isn't as far SE and the 250mb jet is more poleward. S/W is a touch less amped, but I think those changes will lead to a net positive this run in terms of avoiding a squashed system

ezgif-2-c1c695ca21.thumb.gif.ff4707b551b0d8ed785e53f6dce0776d.gifezgif-2-c6e2a343c2.thumb.gif.b74447d6858af5b3a05a3a6b50cd5acf.gif

ya it wont be squashed but that looks like a setup for rain imo.  Again, the "win" scenario is very very very narrow here.  The ridge axis at the mid and upper levels is right under us so the only way to suppress the boundary is with the TPV.  But that leaves no room for a system.  We need the perfect combo of a strong wave and perfectly timed TPV/High for it to work.  Weak wave, squashed.  Strong wave, TPV relaxes too much...rain.  If you run all the scenarios the odds favor either squashed or rain.  That's why we keep seeing MOST runs flip back and forth between those 2 extremes with very few actually showing that in between snowy solution.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

ya it wont be squashed but that looks like a setup for rain imo.  Again, the "win" scenario is very very very narrow here.  The ridge axis at the mid and upper levels is right under us so the only way to suppress the boundary is with the TPV.  But that leaves no room for a system.  We need the perfect combo of a strong wave and perfectly timed TPV/High for it to work.  Weak wave, squashed.  Strong wave, TPV relaxes too much...rain.  If you run all the scenarios the odds favor either squashed or rain.  That's why we keep seeing MOST runs flip back and forth between those 2 extremes with very few actually showing that in between snowy solution.  

We don’t do tiny windows well

@brooklynwx99 so far today the trends are opposite what we want.  I don't think seeing the confluence relax is a good thing...what we actually want is MORE confluence but also a more amplified wave.  We want them to slam into each other and fight it out.  That is the snow solution with upside.  A weak wave has very little potential here.  If the confluence remains strong it gets squashed.  IF the confluence relaxes you get this euro result.  Either way we lose with a weak wave.  

Today the confluence trended weaker and the wave trended weaker across guidance.  A lot of time to turn those trends around but they are going the opposite way of what I want to see right now.  

• Thanks 1

Sorry guys...I really want this to go the other way here.  I am honestly not trying to be a downer, if I liked what I saw today I would say so.  But I honestly think today things trended away from what we wanted after the last 24 hours we did see some progress.  

I will update the numbers for a combined ensemble snow probabilities when the EPS rolls out soon but just warning you the GEPS and GEFS both took a step in the wrong direction so unless the EPS looks a lot better the numbers probably moved the wrong way from 0z.  

• Like 1

It's over boys.  Look at these petunias.   They're gazing to the southern sun right now knowing their time will come in a matter of days.   Maybe next year their foe will rise and slay them in the name of driveways covered and mulches caved.  But not this day.  Their progeny will live to know the glory days of the snowless Mid-Atlantic winters.  

PXL_20230127_184335469_copy_1134x2016.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

48 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

It's actually been a wet Winter so far

compday.omgem16mDf.gif.71954fb1028c6aa19c48b0346401a161.gif

If we get cold, I think we can get some snow (PNA-NAO have been correlated and when the Pacific is good, I fear NAO could be positive). 

Also 2/13 -NAO in December have all time been wetter than average, like we have seen this year. If you use counter-analogs (+NAO/dry December) we get a large composite that has a stronger +NAO February signal than -NAO strength in December (which I picked and chose analogs from!) Pretty incredible correlation there. 

No one would probably guess that this has been a shutout (-AO/NAO) v

compday.TAWFRNwcz_.gif.e8424b5b04ee6eb95140fd0a7c9fcaa0.gif

(reminds me a lot of 97-98)

November and December were wet for me. January has been very dry. Only 51% of normal first 27 days at 1.30".

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic