Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Range Discussion ~ 2023

buckeyefan1

2 hours ago, GaWx said:

If the 12Z GEFS suite were to verify pretty closely, the SE would have a decent shot at one of the coldest Octobers of the last few decades. Let’s say possibly 90% percentile cold in relation to the last 30 years or so. Going to be interesting to see if this model is onto something.

Great, so we have a strong opportunity at 38° and rain a few times later in the month.  And then guess what?  We get to Jan/Feb and we get °38 and rain again in a mild winter.  Give me Indian summers in October.  I'll save my below averages for Jan-Mar please.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, kvegas-wx said:

Great, so we have a strong opportunity at 38° and rain a few times later in the month.  And then guess what?  We get to Jan/Feb and we get °38 and rain again in a mild winter.  Give me Indian summers in October.  I'll save my below averages for Jan-Mar please.

IMG_0026.thumb.jpeg.55d4931091b307ab9c446fc57d3844d1.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, kvegas-wx said:

I look at it differently. We all have different takes, preferences, etc. Here’s mine:

1. I prefer BN in all seasons.

2. I don’t believe so much in the idea of “saving” BN as in some cases it is actually the opposite: there’s a correlation and thus BN may predict subsequent BN.

3. During El Niño in the SE, there’s evidence of a partial correlation between a BN Oct and a BN DJF. Check out these 9 KSAV BN (more than 2 BN) Nino Octobers for example: 

- 1876, 1885, 1930, 1957, 1958, 1976, 1977, 1987, 2006

Of these nine, seven (78%) of the subsequent winters were BN at KSAV: 1876-7, 1885-6, 1930-1, 1957-8, 1976-7, 1977-8, 1987-8

The other two (22%), 1958-9 and 2006-7, were NN

None (0%) were AN.

These 11 El Niño Octs were AN at KSAV

-1884, 1911, 1918, 1919, 1939, 1941, 1951, 1969, 1986, 2002, 2018

Subsequent winters:

3 (27%) BN: 1939-40, 1969-70, 2002-3

6 (55%) NN: 1884-5, 1911-2, 1918-9, 1919-20, 1941-2, 1986-7

2 (18%) AN: 1951-2, 2018-9

So after BN Octs El Niño winters were 78% BN, 22% NN, and 0% AN. Thus, BN El Niño winters have been favored after BN Octobers.

So after AN Octs El Niño winters were 27% BN, 55% NN, and 18% AN. Thus, NN El Niño winters have been favored over each of the other categories after AN Octobers.

All 7 El Nino Octobers colder than 65F were followed by BN winters.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

To get a BN October, we’ll likely need a BN last week. As of now, that’s not being suggested by the longer term models. Hopefully that will change and there’s still plenty of time since that’s in week 3, easily far enough out for the models to be off. Fingers crossed as a BN Oct during El Niño is partially correlated to a BN winter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey y'all, you know I have been around the form for years now (Orangeburgwx), but this gal has some exciting news to share!

This will be my last few months here full time in the Southeastern States board seeing as how I am moving to Vermont at the end of the year. I will still drop in from time to time on the banter form to check in since I care about you all, and good luck in Jan/Feb.

Also, the 6z GFS is such a fucking tease... 462dafcbd6fcb31f43d1c0ca93eed181.jpg

Sent from my SM-S146VL using Tapatalk

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Sandstorm94 said:

Hey y'all, you know I have been around the form for years now (Orangeburgwx), but this gal has some exciting news to share!

This will be my last few months here full time in the Southeastern States board seeing as how I am moving to Vermont at the end of the year. I will still drop in from time to time on the banter form to check in since I care about you all, and good luck in Jan/Feb.

Also, the 6z GFS is such a fucking tease... 462dafcbd6fcb31f43d1c0ca93eed181.jpg

Sent from my SM-S146VL using Tapatalk

I'm jealous! About the snow yes. But mostly  the hiking. By all accounts stunning scenery around every corner out that way. Going to miss you're posts, but I know you will pop in for the big blizzard we get right after your move :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The new Euro weeklies are the coldest yet for October overall in the E US with the all important last week of Oct BN for the first time on any run (see image below)! This is what’s needed to nearly insure a BN Oct in the E US. If this were to verify, this wouldn’t just be significant for chilly Oct prospects. More interestingly, there’s a partial correlation of BN E US Octs and BN E US winters during El Niño. 

New Euro weekly for 10/23-30 is BN E/SE US for first time:
IMG_8196.thumb.png.6cafcf2a244376b46b117c103fbb58b3.png

• Like 4

4 hours ago, WinstonSalemArlington said:

Gulf Cold

F8BWbOMWYAAFxJ5?format=jpg&name=900x900

I was a senior in college in 87/88 and October was really cold in the upstate.  I think GW posted a correlation between BN October’s in EN and wintery precip.

I remember many days going to lunch with temps in the low to mid 50s.  We had snow flurries on Halloween and big snow in January.  

86/87 was a EN year too but don’t remember October being cold.  Of course JFM were really good that year.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, WinstonSalemArlington said:

Are you ready for highs in the 40s?

F8F8M3eWYAAL8uB?format=jpg&name=small

I’d love to see it that cold in some of the SE! But did you mean to post the warmer 150 hour instead? Although the next chilly snap is still looking impressive, this GFS run isn’t calling for SE highs as low as the 40s outside of the mountains. It is more like mid 50s to mid 60s for that and nearby days, which itself would be great. Now toward end of month could be a different story in the extreme since it is so far out. And more and more evidence on the models is supporting another chilly shot then! This would also be good news from the perspective of BN full Octobers partially correlating to BN winters during El Nino.

Also from NWS...

Winter Forecasting Tools: Here’s What’s New at NOAA this Year

• This winter, NOAA will implement a series of upgrades and improvements. In November, the experimental Probabilistic Winter Storm Severity Index (PWSSI) will become operational. The product will enhance communication with external partners, media, and the general public by graphically depicting the likelihood of potential societal impacts due to expected winter hazards over a 7-day period. This is complemented by a version of the Winter Storm Severity Index (WSSI) based on the official National Weather Service forecast of the most likely conditions over the next three days.
  • NOAA’s Weather Prediction and Climate Prediction Centers will continue to use Winter Key Messages, which highlight the agency’s most essential information for upcoming winter weather, including extreme cold and heavy snow potential. These can be found under “Top Stories” on the Weather Prediction Center’s and Climate Prediction Center’s websites.
  • This winter, NOAA will complete its implementation of Impact-Based Warning Tags for Snow Squall Warnings. Snow Squall Warnings are warnings issued for short duration intense bursts of snow and wind leading to whiteout visibility and possible flash freezes on roads. To distinguish high-impact snow squalls, the National Weather Service will issue impact-based Snow Squall Warnings using the “Significant” tag for events that pose a substantial threat to safe travel. Wireless Emergency Alerts, which are emergency messages sent by authorized government alerting authorities through wireless carriers, will be limited to only high-impact Snow Squall Warnings with the Snow Squall Impact Tag of “Significant.”
  • Like 2