Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Range Discussion ~ 2023

buckeyefan1

1 hour ago, olafminesaw said:

Enhanced risk for most tommorow, primarily wind driven. Since the enhanced category was introduced in 2015, RAH hasn't been under one during the month of August 

NC_swody2 (1).png

I was reading on FB that some models are showing no storms while others are showing a good outbreak of severe weather.

On 8/6/2023 at 2:38 PM, olafminesaw said:

Enhanced risk for most tommorow, primarily wind driven. Since the enhanced category was introduced in 2015, RAH hasn't been under one during the month of August 

NC_swody2 (1).png

One of the worst wind storms I can remember since I moved to my current neighborhood 5 years ago. Winds definitely in the 60 mph range, frequent, close lightning, and a lot of trees/branches down. Lots of power outages around the neighborhood, we got lucky and ours came back on last night. Only 0.73” of rain but it was limited only by duration, not intensity 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, olafminesaw said:

Seems like timing is the big question. May move through too early in the day. Parameters aren't as impressive either way, but a nice line of storms regardless.

There could be the MCS in the morning and then the main round of severe in the afternoon/evening. MHX discussion is quite bullish.

5 hours ago, eyewall said:

There could be the MCS in the morning and then the main round of severe in the afternoon/evening. MHX discussion is quite bullish.

Current CAMs seem to suggest the morning MCS will be the main event (strong to borderline severe storms), with some scattered strong storms behind it. Usually these large MCS systems do put a damper on several storms later in the day, even if they clear out by mid morning.

• Like 2

7 AM discussion update from ILM!!

&&

.UPDATE...
Appalachia is already sinking its teeth into this MCS. The
typical bowing across north Georgia is occurring, with the
northern segment heading more to the east, and the southern
segment over metro Atlanta moving more towards the SSE.

How far this thing splits gets tricky. The southern segment
might sink so far south that doesn`t really touch the local
forecast area. The northern segment, as it surges east, will be
close. Current trends look to clip some of the northern portions
of the SC Pee Dee region in a couple hours, but time will tell.
The most frustrating part yet is that high-resolution guidance
has backed off considerably on the convection chances and
coverage today. With guidance and radar trends, tapered the rain
chances off a bit for the morning, at least initially.

&&

17 hours ago, olafminesaw said:

Current CAMs seem to suggest the morning MCS will be the main event (strong to borderline severe storms), with some scattered strong storms behind it. Usually these large MCS systems do put a damper on several storms later in the day, even if they clear out by mid morning.

Yeah it is looking like shite after all.

HDBpmPt.gif

HDBy85G.gif

HRRR 12z and 18z from yesterday did depict this form of activity, although the storm strength extended more northward for the duration!! 

Here is the water vapor overview; there was a lot of lightning here in Brunswick county so it makes sense to see there are some big lows active to which this convection connects!! 

301839123_COD-GOES-East-global-northernhemi_08.20230810.172020-overmap-barsnone.thumb.gif.7413d3b85b79cc97fe760aa19d73677f.gif

• Like 1

Will we reach 100 on Friday? NWS doesn't think we quite get there. The EURO, GFS and (long range) HRRR are all above 100, with the GFS hottest at 105. The UKMET, ICON, and NAM are all in the mid to upper 90s. I am inclined to believe the GFS is too hot of course, but reaching 100 remains at least a realistic possibility. Thankfully a relatively dry heat thanks to mountain downsloping, with dew points in the low 60s.

1 hour ago, olafminesaw said:

Will we reach 100 on Friday? NWS doesn't think we quite get there. The EURO, GFS and (long range) HRRR are all above 100, with the GFS hottest at 105. The UKMET, ICON, and NAM are all in the mid to upper 90s. I am inclined to believe the GFS is too hot of course, but reaching 100 remains at least a realistic possibility. Thankfully a relatively dry heat thanks to mountain downsloping, with dew points in the low 60s.

I am

skeptical, but this is an anomalous heat ridge. Thankfully, short-lived.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, buckeyefan1 said:

Yes, because I was talking about having a fire caused by downed power lines with 80+mph winds :rolleyes:  But you knew that already. Good talk. 

Yep, obvious huge difference between controlled fire and a wild fire!

Meanwhile, per model consensus, parts of the SE US are quite possibly going to be threatened (W FL)/affected by a new TC forecasted to start forming in the NW Caribbean or SE GOM this weekend and then moving NE across FL and/or further up into the SE Tue-Wed. Folks should keep an eye on this just in case although I have to go all of the way back to storm #6 of 1880 to find an analog of this in late Aug or early Sep during El Niño:

tracks-at-1880.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GaWx said:

Yep, obvious huge difference between controlled fire and a wild fire!

Meanwhile, per model consensus, parts of the SE US are quite possibly going to be threatened (W FL)/affected by a new TC forecasted to start forming in the NW Caribbean or SE GOM this weekend and then moving NE across FL and/or further up into the SE Tue-Wed. Folks should keep an eye on this just in case although I have to go all of the way back to storm #6 of 1880 to find an analog of this in late Aug or early Sep during El Niño:

tracks-at-1880.png

Of course it’s a historic anomaly.  I’ll be at Myrtle Beach Saturday - Wednesday.  

• Haha 4

On 8/23/2023 at 8:25 AM, buckeyefan1 said:

I certainly hope this is the last heatwave we see. Football starts in a weekish and there’s nothing better than football, fire and food :wub:

50's showing up for lows in the RDU area late next week.

Maybe... maybe I can actually enjoy an Octoberfest with some October-ish temps.

• Like 6