Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023 Short/Medium Range Severe Weather Discussion

Chicago Storm

• 3 weeks later...

There is a tornado watch for northern Missouri/ southern Iowa. This is a pretty big surprise based off yesterday's 1730z outlook which only had a small area of slight risk in Missouri. Tomorrow: (5/7) the latest update says enhanced risk for Iowa.

• Like 1

The convection-allowing models have several solutions of supercells and/or clusters of cells forming in Iowa, eastern Nebraska, and western Illinois tomorrow. The conditions near the warm front will promote higher wind shear, lift, and chance of tornadoes.  Severe thunderstorms may get going in southern Illinois also. It looks like a higher wind area at 700mb will be a main factor in increased storm relative helicity.

uh25_004htotal_totalmwf02900.png

5 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

Three landspouts confirmed from Sunday evening in the vicinity of the I-80 corridor.

There was a boundary in that area all afternoon, which was reinforced by a deep inland lake breeze.

One was in my backyard just south of Grant Park, unsure how to post the video. I caught the very end of it.  We were wondering why no sirens 

68535b280e97df71d6e754634a501bec.jpg

be6e815b8dc5fffa389133a29f029162.jpg

indy allowed the warning on this one to expire and replaced it with a special wx statement:

Howard IN-Carroll IN-
618 PM EDT Mon May 8 2023

...A strong thunderstorm will impact portions of east central Carroll and northwestern Howard Counties through 645 PM EDT...

At 617 PM EDT, Doppler radar was tracking a strong thunderstorm producing a landspout 12 miles east of Delphi, or 15 miles south of
Logansport, moving east at 20 mph.

HAZARD...Landspouts, and pea size hail.

SOURCE...Radar indicated. Spotter confirmed landsport at 5:55 EDT west of Flora

IMPACT...Minor damage to outdoor objects is possible. Gusty winds could knock down tree limbs and blow around unsecured objects.

• 1 month later...

It smells like someone went through the area with a chainsaw. Grass, cedar, tree smell. 

The forest lost about 1/3rd of it's leaves, gonna be a weird summer. I have a TON to cleanup, will probably rent a stronger push behind leaf blower.