Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023 Short/Medium Range Severe Weather Discussion

Chicago Storm

2 hours ago, Lightning said:

That was one intense storm. :D Large tree branches down all over the place.  Lost power as I watched one of the branches take out the power lines at my neighbor's house (100' away from my house). Watched my kayak and paddle board fly up in the air and into the lake.  Power of mother nature is just awesome.  :weight_lift: Tomorrow is going to be a big clean up day!!!  I'll need to find my kayak and paddle board. :lol:.  Thankfully I have plenty of gas for the generator.  :thumbsup:

Oh no!  You didn’t lose any trees did you?  There were trees down everywhere in southern Ionia CO.  

I ended up south of Portland and it was developing on top of me before I could find anywhere with a view.  The area was so woodsy and branches and limbs were everywhere.  When I got back to I-96 I thought I was home free but then there was 1.5 hour traffic delay from trees across I-96.  I didn’t dare try an alternate route.

There was a tornado warning back at my parent’s place and the sirens went off.  They went to the basement, but the possibly tornadic circulation was quite a ways northeast and none of us even lost power.

11 hours ago, frostfern said:

Oh no!  You didn’t lose any trees did you?  There were trees down everywhere in southern Ionia CO.  

I ended up south of Portland and it was developing on top of me before I could find anywhere with a view.  The area was so woodsy and branches and limbs were everywhere.  When I got back to I-96 I thought I was home free but then there was 1.5 hour traffic delay from trees across I-96.  I didn’t dare try an alternate route.

There was a tornado warning back at my parent’s place and the sirens went off.  They went to the basement, but the possibly tornadic circulation was quite a ways northeast and none of us even lost power.

We are wondering if there was a funnel or small tornado came through.  Damage is not uniform / similar direction.  Some areas it is one direction other areas different direction.  There looks like a path as some houses on the lake are not even touched even though they have willows and cottonwood trees (no damage at all) while we have maples that are 1/2 gone now a willow that was leveled by us.  Likely will not get power back until Sunday at the earliest.  AT&T tower is out so me cell service is sporadic (no sure when this will even post).

4 hours ago, Lightning said:

We are wondering if there was a funnel or small tornado came through.  Damage is not uniform / similar direction.  Some areas it is one direction other areas different direction.  There looks like a path as some houses on the lake are not even touched even though they have willows and cottonwood trees (no damage at all) while we have maples that are 1/2 gone now a willow that was leveled by us.  Likely will not get power back until Sunday at the earliest.  AT&T tower is out so me cell service is sporadic (no sure when this will even post).

Where do you live?  It seems there are only two locations being evaluated in the GRR region, Webberville in Ingham County and Belmont in Kent County.  Reviewing the radar loops both of them were associated with brief supercells being absorbed into the line from the front.

Sorry for not being around yesterday for the event, it was a bit busy here at work.

To recap the event tornado wise as of this moment though:

EF2 Williamston that was rated an EF1 in Fowlerville once it got into DTX's CWA

EF1 Comstock Park

EF1 Belleville

EF1 Newport

EF1 South Rockwood

EF1 Gibralter

EF0 Canton

Not confirmed yet but will be is a tornado near Milan, I have seen drone images from that, concentric path through the fields near US23.

1 hour ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

Webberville got super lucky, the worst part of it went through wooded and cropped areas with insane ground scouring, but even then the city part of it was given an EF-2

On radar it looked at least as strong as the Gaylord tornado last year.  Only a tiny part of that path was rated EF-3.  The trailer park wreckage was horrific and deadly, but it was only rated EF-2 since that’s just what happens to trailers in a tornado.

4 hours ago, frostfern said:

Where do you live?  It seems there are only two locations being evaluated in the GRR region, Webberville in Ingham County and Belmont in Kent County.  Reviewing the radar loops both of them were associated with brief supercells being absorbed into the line from the front.

If you look up Spicers Cider Mill on Clyde Rd. I live a bit NE of it.  We spent all day cleaning up.   Still have some work to do tomorrow.  When I can get back online (not on my phone) I will post some pictures.

52 minutes ago, Lightning said:

If you look up Spicers Cider Mill on Clyde Rd. I live a bit NE of it.  We spent all day cleaning up.   Still have some work to do tomorrow.  When I can get back online (not on my phone) I will post some pictures.

looking at the archived radar data on GR2A, looks like a brief spinup might've happened around that area. Spicer's is the red marker.

KDTX_082523_013901Z.png

• Thanks 1

Found out the tornado lifted literally 1000ft from my house. Glad it was only EF0 I remember hearing a roaring over the phone with my fiancé and daughter. Quite the experience. Not only that 3 tornados in the close vicinity of my parents down in the Rockwood area. These storms were too close to home. Gave me even more respect for them. I hope for a quick recovery for everyone involved. Could have been horrible if these storms stayed discrete.. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lightning said:

I was looking at archive from RadarScope.  It costs like $15 per month for the Pro version, but I only upgrade before a good event then cancel the next month.  That's cool that thomp2mp found a site that offers it for free.

It looks like there were broadly rotating supercells out ahead of the main downdraft / wind-shift line that was moving south.  The data shows rotation passing over the area, but it looks like its mostly ahead of the downdraft where the damaging winds are shown coming from the north.  Was there two different events, one from the south, then another from the north?  The exact time would be helpful. 

I think if there was a tornado in your area it was probably a shallow gust-nado type that the radar might not detect.  The way the line was absorbing rotating elements definitely gave the wind a boost in some areas.  The Williamston and Comstock Park tornadoes were both a result of downdraft-dominant segments catching up to and absorbing supercells.  I normally think cell mergers are not helpful for tornado formation, but in this case it looks like they caused a temporary boost.  The mergers did limit the track lengths though, thankfully.  There probably was enough shear and overall energy for a major long track tornado if a more discrete cell had formed somewhere and remained separate.

I'm kind of annoyed I didn't just stay home now.  I missed a really insane positive CG barrage right over city.  My dad told me the picture frames in the house were all crooked because the thunder shook the entire house.  The tornadic portion was a ways north, but there was apparently a lot of lighting bolts well to the south.  Everyone has commented the thunder was unusually loud and seemed different from normal.  I wish I knew some way to get archived lighting data.

5 hours ago, frostfern said:

I was looking at archive from RadarScope.  It costs like $15 per month for the Pro version, but I only upgrade before a good event then cancel the next month.  That's cool that thomp2mp found a site that offers it for free.

It looks like there were broadly rotating supercells out ahead of the main downdraft / wind-shift line that was moving south.  The data shows rotation passing over the area, but it looks like its mostly ahead of the downdraft where the damaging winds are shown coming from the north.  Was there two different events, one from the south, then another from the north?  The exact time would be helpful. 

I think if there was a tornado in your area it was probably a shallow gust-nado type that the radar might not detect.  The way the line was absorbing rotating elements definitely gave the wind a boost in some areas.  The Williamston and Comstock Park tornadoes were both a result of downdraft-dominant segments catching up to and absorbing supercells.  I normally think cell mergers are not helpful for tornado formation, but in this case it looks like they caused a temporary boost.  The mergers did limit the track lengths though, thankfully.  There probably was enough shear and overall energy for a major long track tornado if a more discrete cell had formed somewhere and remained separate.

The was cell on top of us we had very strong winds southerly in nature and then the line coming in in from the west northwest merged things swirled and northerly strong winds.  When they merged on us the winds came from various directions.  Looking around the is a very distinct path about a 1/4 mile long of damage running ENE.  Tree damage is multidirectional in this area.  Today we finished cleaning up all the mess.  Burned a ton of leaves, branches and wood.

5 hours ago, frostfern said:

I'm kind of annoyed I didn't just stay home now.  I missed a really insane positive CG barrage right over city.  My dad told me the picture frames in the house were all crooked because the thunder shook the entire house.  The tornadic portion was a ways north, but there was apparently a lot of lighting bolts well to the south.  Everyone has commented the thunder was unusually loud and seemed different from normal.  I wish I knew some way to get archived lighting data.

Had that happen to me before chasing.  Now I just stay home unless I chase storms several miles away that clearly will not hit MBY. 

Yes the thunders were house shaking.  Several friends and neighbors have commented about it.  2 nights in a row of lack of sleep.

Sorry if my typing is a bit out of sorts.  Very tired as it has been a long few days.  And I am still 100%on my phone.  Hopefully they will fix the multiple power lines down (can't wait to send pics) tomorrow.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

A strong cell passing just nw of Cedar Rapids has been tornado-warned for a while.  The sirens have gone off here a couple times, even though CR is not in the path.

Yeah, based on reports/photos that was a legit supercell with a brief tornado. Probably more impressive than anything that will happen in Iowa tomorrow, when it's actually in the tornado risk contours. :rolleyes:

29 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Yeah, based on reports/photos that was a legit supercell with a brief tornado. Probably more impressive than anything that will happen in Iowa tomorrow, when it's actually in the tornado risk contours. :rolleyes:

Any storm west of Cedar Rapids and south of Waterloo that isn't encompassed within a line is worth chasing.  Seems like any birdfart storm in that area goes apeshit and produces or nearly produces lol.