Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023

wdrag

50 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Interesting that 1965-66 is on this list, as that was a historic winter in the midatlantic.... 40" of snow in Norfolk? a good el nino too.

Followed by a classic switch from el nino to neutral/la nina that gave us one of our hottest driest summers ever and one of our greatest winters, 1966-67 was very memorable.

The 1966 blizzard occurred later. Norfolk's seasonal snowfall during 1965-1966 was 14.7".  41.9" fell at Norfolk during winter 1979-1980. The biggest snowfalls occurred during February 6-7, 1980 (12.4") and March 1-2, 1980 (13.7").

• Like 1

Just now, donsutherland1 said:

The 1966 blizzard occurred later. Norfolk's seasonal snowfall during 1965-1966 was 14.7".  41.9" fell at Norfolk during winter 1979-1980. The biggest snowfalls occurred during February 6-7, 1980 (12.4") and March 1-2, 1980 (13.7").

who had 40" in 1965-66....was it ACY? or DCA? I remember someone to our south did, I just don't remember the city lol.

Agree [mention=13098]snowman19[/mention]. I definitely think we go rna  in February 

You can already see it starting around 1/21….the extended Pac jet finally retracts and goes into a +PNA at first, then it’s going to retro to the Aleutians and morph into an Aleutian ridge/RNA pattern and the SE ridge pops at the beginning of February and we go classic La Niña, forcing goes to the IO and Maritime Continent, per Niña climo. Seeing no signs of anything causing a major disruption to that system

• Like 1

4 hours ago, snowman19 said:

You can already see it starting around 1/21….the extended Pac jet finally retracts and goes into a +PNA at first, then it’s going to retro to the Aleutians and morph into an Aleutian ridge/RNA pattern and the SE ridge pops at the beginning of February and we go classic La Niña, forcing goes to the IO and Maritime Continent, per Niña climo. Seeing no signs of anything causing a major disruption to that system

I think that Pac jet retracting is all anyone cares about.

I think that Pac jet retracting is all anyone cares about.

The jet is normally retracted in La Nina’s. The extension we have now is a Nino look but that’s ending around 1/21. This, along with the tropical forcing projections leads me to believe we are going canonical Niña climo for February
  • Like 1

The jet is normally retracted in La Nina’s. The extension we have now is a Nino look but that’s ending around 1/21. This, along with the tropical forcing projections leads me to believe we are going canonical Niña climo for February

To add on to this, the La Niña is actually not rapidly falling apart at all. Nino region 3.4 actually dropped again the last few days to -1.1C (moderate), the trade winds are still abnormally strong and the SOI is very high, so it is still really well coupled https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/ocean/nino34.png
  • Like 1

Besides turning colder in the eastern USA after 1/23... for how long? I see our Long Rangers have us in a warmer than normal  Feb.  So I guess its just normally colder for a few days the last week of January. 

In the meantime measurable snow risk: Philly-NYC early Monday... a snow sleet rain mix. If any snow comes down hard enough, there might be a first measurable of the season but right now, that is uncertain and because of modeled surface temps, not likely. Wet roads.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Besides turning colder in the eastern USA after 1/23... for how long? I see our Long Rangers have us in a warmer than normal  Feb.  So I guess its just normally colder for a few days the last week of January. 
In the meantime measurable snow risk: Philly-NYC early Monday... a snow sleet rain mix. If any snow comes down hard enough, there might be a first measurable of the season but right now, that is uncertain and because of modeled surface temps, not likely. Wet roads.

Here’s a very good example. Watch the jet retraction, the ridge retrograde and the -PNA/SE ridge develop come the beginning of February
  • Thanks 2

Morning thoughts…

It will be partly sunny with near to somewhat warmer than normal temperatures. High temperatures will reach the lower 40s in most areas.  Likely high temperatures around the region include:

New York City (Central Park): 41°

Newark: 43°

Philadelphia: 44°

A weak system will bring a period of light rain and snow to the region late tonight into tomorrow. Little or no accumulation is likely in New York City. Interior sections could pick up a coating.

Normals:

New York City: 30-Year: 39.6°; 15-Year: 40.6°

Newark: 30-Year: 40.1°; 15-Year: 41.3°

Philadelphia: 30-Year: 41.5°; 15-Year: 42.4°

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Yet another day will very likely pass without New York City seeing a measurable snowfall at Central Park.

image.png.114a3b13971964ca399d6622101663d9.png

There was a coating with December event, so even if we do see a coating in the park again late at night and it melts away before morning don’t expect it to be recorded 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, snowman19 said:

Here’s a very good example. Watch the jet retraction, the ridge retrograde and the -PNA/SE ridge develop come the beginning of February

The difference this year is we may have a -NAO/AO to go with it...we are almost certainly going to have 1-2 more episodes of that this winter based on what happened in December unless we go 89-90 which is the only case where that did not happen 

• Like 3

The difference this year is we may have a -NAO/AO to go with it...we are almost certainly going to have 1-2 more episodes of that this winter based on what happened in December unless we go 89-90 which is the only case where that did not happen 

If there is no -NAO in February it will roast. That would be the only thing to stop an all out torch and tame the SE ridge
  • Sad 2

Just now, snowman19 said:

If there is no -NAO in February it will roast. That would be the only thing to stop an all out torch and tame the SE ridge

Its hard to roast anymore than we are now to be honest....this winter has consistenly done what nobody has expected so would not shock me at all if February looked like an El Nino and we averaged -10..

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Wow Rochester is even more amazing, although the deficits look about the same.

Do they ever think about transporting some of that Buffalo snow farther east?  Although it's probably all melted by now.

The last round melted RAPIDLY in Buffalo. Pretty much after the cold air behind the systems moves out, the SW wind brings in the warm air pretty stoutly and the Pacific maritime air quickly does its dirty work. We desperately need a shakeup.

• Like 1

It’s going to snow in April. I base this on nothing other than everyone’s mood here and the fact that it won’t snow from today through March 31st.

Science.

• Like 1

• Rjay unpinned this topic