Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,541
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Gonzalez Brittany
    Newest Member
    Gonzalez Brittany
    Joined

January 2023 Obs/Discussion


Torch Tiger
 Share

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Where are biggest January temp departures in the east , anyone have some numbers . I think it’s time to sort of celebrate the torch (ok maybe celebrate is a strong word) but at least gain perspective on any historical significance of what is going on so far this year 

I recall going up to N Conway in March of maybe 2012 or something when they had a string of days in upper 70’s and man ..I always root for snow but if it’s not gonna snow I’ll take mild and sunny over anything else that isn’t frozen 

It was 2012.  The Farmington Maine co-op has records back thru 1893 and their 5 warmest March days are below:

83°  3/23/2012
82°  3/22/2012
80°  3/20/2012
79°  3/20/1903
78°  3/18/2012
 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, tamarack said:

It was 2012.  The Farmington Maine co-op has records back thru 1893 and their 5 warmest March days are below:

83°  3/23/2012
82°  3/22/2012
80°  3/20/2012
79°  3/20/1903
78°  3/18/2012
 

That’s such a amazing outlier to have 4 of 5 top max days in the same week over 120+ year period 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

That’s such a amazing outlier to have 4 of 5 top max days in the same week over 120+ year period 

Until the record-smashing 22nd/23rd, it was an odd coincidence that the 2 highest March temps came on the same day of the month.

Our 28.3" is well over the 20.0" average (includes this month) and 3rd highest January, trailing 2015 and 2019.  The month is also running 9.1° AN and will probably finish right about there.  Previous mildest January was +7.4° in 2006.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

 

 

The Ginxy-ORH band was crazy awesome.

 

 

Jan27_702amRadar.gif

Orh with 3 feet I had 29.5 and this started what turned out to be the greatest month of my wx life. I remember by week 3 the warministas kept saying the pattern was breaking but that mofo was boss. What a memorable time. Never imagined I would beat out Feb 34 but here we were.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Orh with 3 feet I had 29.5 and this started what turned out to be the greatest month of my wx life. I remember by week 3 the warministas kept saying the pattern was breaking but that mofo was boss. What a memorable time. Never imagined I would beat out Feb 34 but here we were.

Yeah I was really skeptical that it was even possible to beat out February 1934...that month was so crazy anomalous, yet we somehow beat it over 70 years later....that's pretty insane. ORH also broke their coldest J/F/M combo by over a full degree.

We paid the piper though later that year in December. :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Complete opposite of this month. Everything just went right. That mix line approaching? Nah, it stays south.  Long duration event storm with crappy snows for 72 hrs? Nah, it's a CJ of epic proportions. Storm too far east to blow up for eastern areas? Nah, H7 nukes over MVY and drops an epic TSSN event for SE areas.  Even the weaker s/w farts dumped 2-4" out of nowhere in between. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Complete opposite of this month. Everything just went right. That mix line approaching? Nah, it stays south.  Long duration event storm with crappy snows for 72 hrs? Nah, it's a CJ of epic proportions. Storm too far east to blow up for eastern areas? Nah, H7 nukes over MVY and drops an epic TSSN event for SE areas.  Even the weaker s/w farts dumped 2-4" out of nowhere in between. 

Yep, sometimes you just catch all the breaks....and that was what happened during that period. The pattern was definitely awesome, but we could replicate that longwave pattern again 100 times and prob not get as much as we did. Though the funyn part is we actually did narrowly miss a bit more too....I recall 1/31 a few days after the blizzard, we lost a storm east that hammered Eastport. But it was briefly giving us like 6-10" on model guidance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Yep, sometimes you just catch all the breaks....and that was what happened during that period. The pattern was definitely awesome, but we could replicate that longwave pattern again 100 times and prob not get as much as we did. Though the funyn part is we actually did narrowly miss a bit more too....I recall 1/31 a few days after the blizzard, we lost a storm east that hammered Eastport. But it was briefly giving us like 6-10" on model guidance.

I know it only affected a small portion of us, but 2/15 is secretly one of those most short term prolific snow producers I can recall. That area from Bob to EWB had like 23" in 6 hrs. I think some were getting 5-6"/hr snows for a few hours. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I know it only affected a small portion of us, but 2/15 is secretly one of those most short term prolific snow producers I can recall. That area from Bob to EWB had like 23" in 6 hrs. I think some were getting 5-6"/hr snows for a few hours. 

Yeah, that was insane...I had like 14" but it all fell in like 4-5 hours, lol.

EWB to PYM had kind of gotten screwed in the previous two events, so they started playing catchup there....and they got some good events after that when we finally started coming back to earth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...