Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Historic Christmas Cold & maybe snow?! Dec 23rd-30th

Wurbus

6 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

Having the ICON climb on board gets me back to 55/45 it is going to happen as the GFS has it.  I think the Euro is playing into some old biases.  @Holston_River_Rambler, what are you doing up so early?  As for me, we had a carbon monoxide detector battery go bad.  The periodic beep was driving us crazy.  LOL.  We have been wondering through the house for about fifteen minutes trying to find which detector was bad.  As any good wx hobby person would do, I sat down and looked at modeling instead of going back to bed.

I always wonder why those cotton pickin things go off at night only. Mine always do it in middle of night. 

• Haha 1

The GFS finally caved that direction. It took baby steps every run. Hopefully the trend will stop and we can at least enjoy some backside flakes after the front comes through.

Even with the -NAO/-AO and emerging PNA we still have to get lucky for it to snow here these days. Unfortunately like mentioned above there is no 50/50 low or lower heights in the Atlantic Canada region. So the -NAO block really isn’t blocking anything.

I also think the little shortwave that comes through at the beginning of the week hurts us as well by allowing higher heights to build behind it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, 1234snow said:

The GFS finally caved that direction. It took baby steps every run. Hopefully the trend will stop and we can at least enjoy some backside flakes after the front comes through.

Even with the -NAO/-AO and emerging PNA we still have to get lucky for it to snow here these days. Unfortunately like mentioned above there is no 50/50 low or lower heights in the Atlantic Canada region. So the -NAO block really isn’t blocking anything.

I also think the little shortwave that comes through at the beginning of the week hurts us as well by allowing higher heights to build behind it.

Still a ways to go before a final solution is settled. By Monday-Tuesday we should have a much better idea. I wouldn’t be surprised to see more back and forth over the weekend. I still think we are all still in the game for snow possibilities before Christmas.

• Like 1

18z GFS is now completely in the Euro camp(edit...eh sort of...clarifying comments in following posts), and a bit less amped.  It should provide light snow to much of the forum area and really allows west TN and Arkansas and northern MS to score.  

I meant to add this for those who have just come back to the board.  The GFS update which we speak about is not the one from last year-ish.  It was tweeted this past fall again, and hasn't been the same since then.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TellicoWx said:

Nice hit west of the plateau on the 18z GFS..think you guys in that area are in a good spot. 

I’m still weary on the models not handling how quick the temperatures will drop. We are going to have some really breezy conditions Mid-Thursday in Friday morning. I’d be happy with a dusting at this point though. 

• Like 1

Just now, Carvers Gap said:

Yeah, time to wake this thread up!  With an Arctic front this strong...that is how it should look.   With so much energy, there should be rain changing to snow.   I can remember something similar during Jan/Feb 85.  The cold basically just took over the front.  

Lock it in

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Carvers Gap said:

18z is a nice and classic La Nina/NAO run for middle and western forum areas.  

Yeah, believe those guys are setup good for this system...plus the upslope areas of the plateau/mtns/ne tn. Not quite buying the wound up, cold front passage of the Euro. Between this arctic airmass squeezing out every drop of moisture/ the feed off the lakes..middle/ west TN is the money spot.

• Like 4

• Mr Bob pinned this topic
  • Mr Bob unpinned this topic