Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Historic Christmas Cold & maybe snow?! Dec 23rd-30th

Wurbus

5 minutes ago, Bigbald said:

GfS is a western jog as expected.  Given the fact we have 5 days left about the only place I'd be feeling good about is western Illinois/mizzou.  

Gfs has been ticking east since 12z.

it may not be 2feet across the entire state but this isn't over. We have a LONG time before it's completely set.

DE63B8D5-6DC6-4F39-90AB-D1D03E1530B7.thumb.gif.193508a54dfc7ca4e2a3bebe818cf845.gif

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Bigbald said:

GfS is a western jog as expected.  Given the fact we have 5 days left about the only place I'd be feeling good about is western Illinois/mizzou.  

If,if the GFS is right like John said you'd have a potential deformation band on the NW/W side of that low,west Tn would do well

• Like 5

With the DGZ literally on the ground I will be extremely curious to see how Meso Models handle the NW aspect of this event. In uncharted territory as far as my NW experience here. Could be single digits and NW flow.

The only negative is it's relatively short lived.

How saturated is the DGZ? How low?

7 minutes ago, fountainguy97 said:

With the DGZ literally on the ground I will be extremely curious to see how Meso Models handle the NW aspect of this event. In uncharted territory as far as my NW experience here. Could be single digits and NW flow.

The only negative is it's relatively short lived.

yeah but if it puts stress on the power grids might not be short lived:PLast thing you want is power outage from rain and wet snow,then wind

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, John1122 said:

Looks completely saturated all the way to the surface at 141 for instance. The DGZ is at the surface as noted. When that happens you'll see little ice crystals floating down even if the sky is blue. 

Yeah don't think the DGZ level means a whole lot really but still crazy to be on the surface in our area.

Will we have a white Christmas in Memphis this year? What's the chance of getting snow for Christmas in Memphis?

Well, what does history say about Memphis' chances for snow? Take a look - here's the weather that's happened on Christmas Day in Memphis for the past 147 years....

Records that go back to 1889 show that Memphis had a measurable amount of snow on Christmas only once in 133 years. That was in 1913 when 3.5 inches of snow fell on Christmas Day (1.4 inches was on the ground at 6:00 a.m. that day). Trace amounts (only a few flakes - not enough to measure), fell on 11 occasions - 1914, 1918, 1926, 1939, 1948, 1975, 1980, 1992, 2009, 2010, and 2012.

There has been a few times when there was snow on the ground Christmas morning (from previous storms). The greatest was 1963 when 10 inches covered the city Christmas morning; 1962 and 2004 had 2 inches on the ground, 1998 had 1 inch on the ground, and a trace of snow on Christmas morning in 1897,1966, 1980, and 1990.

The warmest temperature for Christmas Day was 77 degrees in 2021; 1983 had the coldest Christmas at zero (0) degrees.

While a Memphis snow is rare on Christmas Day, rain has fallen several times. Christmas was rainy 50 times in the last 147 years; sleet (or freezing rain) happened three times. The wettest Christmas Day came in 1987 when 4.24 inches of rain soaked Memphis.

Will history be a guide again this year?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, fountainguy97 said:

06z gfs undid all the positive trends and is now the least snowy it's been lol.  Towel has been thrown for me. Let's kick the can another 10 days down the road like we have done since thanksgiving :wacko:

Still about the same for me actually while there was a change, it is just one run, I am sure the next one will be different. 

1 hour ago, fountainguy97 said:

06z gfs undid all the positive trends and is now the least snowy it's been lol.  Towel has been thrown for me. Let's kick the can another 10 days down the road like we have done since thanksgiving :wacko:

The 06z gfs also shows it going from upper 30's at 7am on Dec 23rd to the teens around 1pm O.o

1 minute ago, TellicoWx said:

One more step back on the models and all TN will be out of play (except the normal NWSF areas of plateau/mtns). GFS cave to the Euro/CMC almost complete.

Yeah, it's a shame as the GFS did really well last winter. Looks like Euro will win this one. May be the better model for this winter/pattern. 

• Like 1

• Mr Bob pinned this topic
  • Mr Bob unpinned this topic