• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Historic Christmas Cold & maybe snow?! Dec 23rd-30th

Wurbus

First time creating a thread and hoping for a Christmas Miracle! Models have been consistent on a huge cold shot coming in around the 23rd. Like always, the question is if we get any snow with this cold shot. GFS has shown the potentially for multiple rounds of snow, with an initial thumping arriving with the cold. CMC has the cold, but the system isn't amped up and we have some snow showers in the area. Euro has shown the system on the 23rd, but currently is cold and dry as of 00z 12/16. Regardless if any snow pans out, the cold looks to be real and potentially record breaking. Highs in the teens will be common from the 24th-26th with single digit (and sub-zero lows with snow pack). Below is the eye candy from the 12z GFS.

image.thumb.png.474f77c77097f105f6c9608f0168c213.png

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Wurbus said:

First time creating a thread and hoping for a Christmas Miracle! Models have been consistent on a huge cold shot coming in around the 23rd. Like always, the question is if we get any snow with this cold shot. GFS has shown the potentially for multiple rounds of snow, with an initial thumping arriving with the cold. CMC has the cold, but the system isn't amped up and we have some snow showers in the area. Euro has shown the system on the 23rd, but currently is cold and dry as of 00z 12/16. Regardless if any snow pans out, the cold looks to be real and potentially record breaking. Highs in the teens will be common from the 24th-26th with single digit (and sub-zero lows with snow pack). Below is the eye candy from the 12z GFS.

image.thumb.png.474f77c77097f105f6c9608f0168c213.png

After that run, no where to go but down for the eastern 1/2 of Tennessee.   lol   That said, I really hope to have to eat these words.

2 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

The GFS and the Euro handling the size of he energy and its trajetcory ejecting down the PNA ridge differently, but I think the end result is going to be a step closer to the GFS this time. 

Looks like a strong cold front similar to the Canadian to me.............  How it handles the northern stream the first 72 hours makes all the difference in the world.

On 12/10/2022 at 6:47 AM, Holston_River_Rambler said:

6z GFS jumped in a big way toward how the Euro and CMC were handling the system next week. Hopefully that is a sign that it is handling things poorly right now because its long range looked warm. 

The above was when we wanted the GFS to be wrong about the huge upper low, when the CMC and Euro were showing good upslope for this weekend (i.e. today and tomorrow). 

CMC at this range for today:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611d8bbacaf112e969cdc

GFS for same date range at same initialization time:

giphy.gif?cid=790b761103003777f54fbf0c73

Actual conditions in Kingsport:

OwpBNq5.jpg

Now to be fair the GFS didn't exactly nail the 500mb pattern (trend of runs since that time through 12z today):

giphy.gif?cid=790b76118cbd6d70f0f67e360c

But maybe there is reason for hope that the GFS isn't totally out in lala land. 

Cards on the table I'm hugging the GFS for all its worth. :weenie::weenie:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Silas Lang said:

The GFS has scored some wins the past year or so since the major upgrade, correct? Maybe I am remembering it wrong, but I swear it has seemed more consistent for the past couple of big winter storms. 

I just read a post, maybe even by you, from the March storm as it approached, that the Euro had just completely caved to the GFS. That said, this one is still early in the game regarding the storm. Extreme cold seems nearly unavoidable but it would be tempered with snow vs without snow. There's still very often major model disagreement inside 90 hours over the last few years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Latest GFS was much better for West and Middle TN. A little concerning for the valley with the LP sitting right on top of it at one point. Still managed to get most of the state. Storm more wound up. Seems like it took a step towards the Euro/CMC. Not a good trend, imo as the storm could end up cutting more if it continues. 

• Like 1

I just read a post, maybe even by you, from the March storm as it approached, that the Euro had just completely caved to the GFS. That said, this one is still early in the game regarding the storm. Extreme cold seems nearly unavoidable but it would be tempered with snow vs without snow. There's still very often major model disagreement inside 90 hours over the last few years.

Your last sentence is why I have pretty much adopted a “whatever” stance any time there’s a potential threat.

10 minutes ago, tnweathernut said:

I sure hope it snows somewhere in the Tennessee Valley. A dedicated thread seven days out for tracking a cold front will be miserable. Lol no offense, Wurbus……

No offense taken....in all likelihood I jumped the gun creating the thread since it usually doesn't pan out for us the closer we get to a potential event. I just have that feeling about this one though and if it doesn't pan out, I will never create a thread again for cursing the storm. :)

• Haha 2

Just now, Wurbus said:

No offense taken....in all likelihood I jumped the gun creating the thread since it usually doesn't pan out for us the closer we get to a potential event. I just have that feeling about this one though and if it doesn't pan out, I will never create a thread again for cursing the storm. :)

Nah, man.  We got your back.  And please don't quit creating threads.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Wurbus said:

Honestly I had my finger on the trigger for sparking one tonight, so don't feel too anxious about it lol. As for expectations if I can get a white ground under marginal temps for Christmas I'll call it a W. Of course that's an easier feat up here.

13 minutes ago, Wurbus said:

Yeah, I’m just messing with you a bit.  It’s not every year we have a chance to chase snow by watching models around Christmas!

• Mr Bob pinned this topic
  • Mr Bob unpinned this topic