• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Central PA Winter 2022/2023

Straight up 32 here this AM.   38-42 highs seem modeled.  Good shopping weather for last full weekend before Christmas day. 

6Z GFS has negative lows for the LSV Christmas night.   My -1 to -2 departure for MDT is at risk of being "too warm" with the modeled late month temps...though some 40's for highs possible next week. 

6Z GFS has a two-wave setup with 4-6" of snow for much of Eastern PA, except less Southeast where mix and rain come into play, and then another 3-6" of snow on the second wave.  First wave is Thursday the 22nd and second wave is mostly Friday afternoon.   Surface temps get up to the mid 30 for the Southeast LSV as part of the mix and rain scenario of the first wave as the low goes from Havre De Grace-Philly-NYC.  Second wave tries to do a weak/late phase with the displaced PV but that primarily affects areas north of here.    May secure a white Christmas for all even if the snow from the first wave gets washed away in the Southeast...though surface temps are still questionable even during the second wave.  Low 30's. 

Not a lot different from 0Z minus some minor west corrections to low placement of first wave and a more amplified second wave causing final totals to be higher where it does not turn to mix or rain. 

Suprise snow this morning about half inch. The way it looks, must have been big juicy flakes.

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service State College PA
545 AM EST Sat Dec 17 2022

PAZ058-059-171215-
Lebanon PA-Schuylkill PA-
545 AM EST Sat Dec 17 2022

...AN AREA OF MODERATE SNOW WILL AFFECT PARTS OF LEBANON AND
SCHUYLKILL COUNTIES THROUGH 715 AM...

HAZARDS...An area of moderate snow which can rapidly reduce
visibility to less than one mile and result in a coating to 1 inch
of accumulation.

LOCATION AND MOVEMENT...At 542 AM EST, a moderate snow shower was 11
miles south of Shamokin moving east at 20 MPH.

LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...
Pottsville, Tamaqua, Schuylkill Haven, Shenandoah, Minersville,
Mahanoy City, Frackville, St. Clair, Ashland, Orwigsburg, Pine Grove,
Port Carbon, Tremont, Girardville, Fredericksburg, Hometown, Tower
City, Tuscarora, New Philadelphia and Friedensburg.

This includes the following Interstates...
 Interstate 78 from mile markers 1 to 8.
 Interstate 81 from mile markers 89 to 136.

SAFETY INFO...
Use extra caution if you must travel into or through this area of
snow. Rapid changes in visibility and potentially slick roads may
lead to accidents.

Conditions can deteriorate rapidly in winter weather situations. Be
prepared for snow or ice covered roads. Slow down and allow extra
time to reach your destination.
  • Like 4

Suprise snow this morning about half inch. The way it looks, must have been big juicy flakes.

Special Weather StatementNational Weather Service State College PA545 AM EST Sat Dec 17 2022PAZ058-059-171215-Lebanon PA-Schuylkill PA-545 AM EST Sat Dec 17 2022...AN AREA OF MODERATE SNOW WILL AFFECT PARTS OF LEBANON ANDSCHUYLKILL COUNTIES THROUGH 715 AM...HAZARDS...An area of moderate snow which can rapidly reducevisibility to less than one mile and result in a coating to 1 inchof accumulation.LOCATION AND MOVEMENT...At 542 AM EST, a moderate snow shower was 11miles south of Shamokin moving east at 20 MPH.LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...Pottsville, Tamaqua, Schuylkill Haven, Shenandoah, Minersville,Mahanoy City, Frackville, St. Clair, Ashland, Orwigsburg, Pine Grove,Port Carbon, Tremont, Girardville, Fredericksburg, Hometown, TowerCity, Tuscarora, New Philadelphia and Friedensburg.This includes the following Interstates...Interstate 78 from mile markers 1 to 8.Interstate 81 from mile markers 89 to 136.SAFETY INFO...Use extra caution if you must travel into or through this area ofsnow. Rapid changes in visibility and potentially slick roads maylead to accidents.Conditions can deteriorate rapidly in winter weather situations. Beprepared for snow or ice covered roads. Slow down and allow extratime to reach your destination.

I still always remember that freak foot that went down in a five-mile strip of Lancaster county back in 2008.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

I still always remember that freak foot that went down in a five-mile strip of Lancaster county back in 2008.

I live in that strip.  My bud about 5 miles to my east had about "a healthy dusting" and I was snowmobiling that evening.  Felt like Tug Hill amish style

Looking over the overnighter, CMC and Euro still hangin tough on their continuance to cutville.  Keep that in mind as we set the table for another day of tracking.  2 distinct camps and one will likely fold like a cheap tent in the near future. 

Of course we all hope the home team models have a clue, but keep the emotions in check till the Euro or CMC caves....:lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Atomixwx said:

I had one of those in Tamaqua as well. Can't remember the year, though, but it was in that general era. We got 6 inches of morning snow that was so low cloud based that it never even showed on radar. 

1 hour ago, pasnownut said:

Looking over the overnighter, CMC and Euro still hangin tough on their continuance to cutville.  Keep that in mind as we set the table for another day of tracking.  2 distinct camps and one will likely fold like a cheap tent in the near future. 

Of course we all hope the home team models have a clue, but keep the emotions in check till the Euro or CMC caves....:lol:

Don’t rule out the Nam when it gets in range. It seems to have a nose for these huge storms.

will be interesting seeing how the models preform.

Thanks to everyone on the night shift! :D

Voyager you still have time to come back for this storm. :P

18 minutes ago, paweather said:

CTP went from all snow to rain and snow and then rain Thursday night ugh 

I seen that and wondering what they are looking at. Still plenty of time for the models to sort things.

A strong Bering Sea storm will bring heavy snow, gusty winds, coastal flooding and ice shoves to western Alaska. 

How does that effect things??

That Lanco county inverted trough years ago - I woke up that morning with clear skies and dry roads. No snow had been forecast and I was zoned out on even the possibility of anything happening the previous night. I'm driving to work, heading down Chickies on 441 into Columbia, and while crossing over 30 I see this car heading westbound towards York with deep snow on their roof. I thought they came from Buffalo or something - I get to the office and find several call offs, all from workers near Lancaster and all of them saying they can't make it in due to heavy snow. I'm like "WHAT?!?!?!"

I ran into a friend who lives in Manheim Twp. who casually comments that he picked up 12" of snow overnight.

We live 13 miles apart. To my knowledge my skies were clear the entire night.

Talk about being pissed...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1